Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What happened to the "no call" [Do-Not-Call Registry] list ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to the "no call" [Do-Not-Call Registry] list ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by daved
The Do Not Call legislation does not prevent telemarketers from using the internet, ie. VOIP calls to harass you. Call or email your congressperson and request they prohibit the use of VOIP to bypass the intent of the Do Not Call law.

I think the frequency of calls will increase as more businesses become aware of this loophole. Most of the calls I get are clearly originating from an overseas phone bank using VOIP.
To clarify, this applies if they're calling your VOIP account directly. Calls originating via VOIP that arrive at a regular telephone number in the US are covered by Do Not Call.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 6:03 am

Thanks for the reminder about updating DNC registrations.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
None of those are affected by the main do-not-call.
I know. But they do have their own DNC lists. The real solicitations are very carefully crafted these days so it's very difficult to determine which company is calling.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
To clarify, this applies if they're calling your VOIP account directly. Calls originating via VOIP that arrive at a regular telephone number in the US are covered by Do Not Call.
From Clark Howard's Aug 1, 2007 show (show notes www.clarkhoward.com)

"Why the "Do Not Call" list isn't working
Have you continued to get telemarketing calls even though you’re on the federal “Do Not Call” list? Clark found out why. Internet phone calling is not included in the scope of the law. So, American companies have been hiring telemarketers outside the States and using them to call you with their sales pitches. Clark plans to contact the Federal Trade Commission to ask if this is legal. When the Do Not Call list was created, no one thought about the possibility of calls coming from overseas. So, we’ll let you know what we find out. Also, keep in mind that you must re-register on the list every couple of years to keep telemarketers away. There are a few exceptions. If you did business with a bank for 18 months after your last account activity, the bank can legally call you and any marketing partner of the bank can call you. Also, politicians and charities are allowed to call."
Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Does the world need an electronic call screener?

It seems to me that the telemarketers and the public are involved in an Electronic Countermeasures (ECM) war: devices like the Tele-Zapper are marketed, and the telemarketers figure out how to defeat them. Radio Shack offers the "Quick Hang-Up" and AT&T the EZ Hang-up but TMs still get to make you answer the phone again and again.

How about a device that stores the Caller ID of annoying callers (including OUT OF AREA and so on) and simply answers the call and hangs up if they call again? Would anybody buy such a unit from a TV infomercial ($19.95 plus s&h)?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
"We are not regulated by FTC (Do-Not-Call List)"...

Originally Posted by UAVirgin
The bad thing is that non-profits, political groups, and companies and their affiliates that you have a relationship with can still call. It should be no calls, period.
Sorry to bump this thread. But I am trying to figure out a more efficient way to stop them.

I just got a call from Mario, who represented NOP (National Opinion Firm, he said. How could that turned into "NOP"? ) and doesn't know the company phone number. On his way of transfering me to his supervisor, the line was dropped. I googled NPO but only found the one from UK. From whocallsme, the complaints on NPO were associated with the number 02078909051. I didn't find any US contact for such company.

I usually don't get as many bugging calls, not only because I registered with Do-Not-Call" but also I've moved a couple times in the last 2-3 years. I always register my phone numbers though.

However, in the last three weeks, I start getting more of those calls from market research firms and police fund raising organizations. When I challenged them about my "do-not-call" registration, they always respond: "we are not regulated by FTC and do-not-call because we are not trying to sell you anything... " They would emphasize that they are not selling me anything. But I don't and didn't agree for them to call me either! And my time is money!

I would ask the numbers for their companies. Generally, the CSRs don't know. I would always act surprised, "you don't know the phone number of the company you work for?!" I would ask how they got my number. They would say the computer dialed it or from their database. I would ask to speak to a supervisor and ask them to remove my number from their database.

I am a poor international student who doesn't subscribe to caller ID and don't have money to pay for extra features/services, so I don't know who's calling me unless I answer the phone. They normally call me between 7-9 pm in the evening.

Can you American FTers help me out here? If the Do-Not-Call can't help me to stop them calling me, who can? What can I do to have those calls disappear? Those are very very annoying calls!

Oh, there's another kind of mystery calls I've been getting recently as well, especially during my zzzz hours. There's no recording or voices when I answer the mystery calls. I can only hear the beeping sound every other second, like beep..beep..beep..beep. Just the other day, they made 4 of these mystery calls within 20 minutes from 9:00 am Sunday morning!! I don't even know where to complain for receiving such calls.

Please help me.

FYI. FTC update on October 2007: No 5-year expiration on the registration any more

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/10/dnctestimony.shtm
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:28 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Originally Posted by lin821
Sorry to bump this thread. But I am trying to figure out a more efficient way to stop them.

Oh, there's another kind of mystery calls I've been getting recently as well, especially during my zzzz hours. There's no recording or voices when I answer the mystery calls. I can only hear the beeping sound every other second, like beep..beep..beep..beep. Just the other day, they made 4 of these mystery calls within 20 minutes from 9:00 am Sunday morning!! I don't even know where to complain for receiving such calls.

Please help me.

FYI. FTC update on October 2007: No 5-year expiration on the registration any more

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/10/dnctestimony.shtm
The mystery calls with the beeps are someone trying to send you a fax. Without caller ID I don't know what you can do to avoid the other calls as it sounds like they are coming from political organizations.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by UAVirgin
The mystery calls with the beeps are someone trying to send you a fax....
Are you sure that's incoming fax? Isn't the fax coming in with those high-pitched grinding sound (the handshake between the modem thingy)?

The mystery calls bundle with short-pitched beep& beep only. I usually just hang up.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
Are you sure that's incoming fax? Isn't the fax coming in with those high-pitched grinding sound (the handshake between the modem thingy)?

The mystery calls bundle with short-pitched beep& beep only. I usually just hang up.
The beeps are the fax machine saying its a fax answer me. You wouldn't get the handshake noise because there is no handshake - you aren't sending a fax answer tone.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have started getting a large number(2-5 a day) of calls from 866 and 877 exchanges that show "no listed user" or some such. if answered, is usually blank, but when answered, is a loan offer, or some such.

we are no call registered.

i do not know how the callers are able to keep the identy of their phone unlisted to caller id.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been getting a rash of calls lately in PA so I turned over the answering the phone 100% to the answering machine. FWIW I am signed up on the federal and PA do not call list. Nil calls received in HI.

MisterNice
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I give my banks, charities, insurance companies, etc. a free voice mail number instead of my mobile phone (I don't have a landline). I'm aware that currently telemarketers won't reach cell phones, but my alma mater for example directly dials every living alumnus for donations at least annually.

It is extremely rare anyone leaves a message (5-6 times a year), and in such cases I'm sent an e-mail alerting me. Mostly it is the Red Cross if I haven't rescheduled my regular blood donation.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Question Tell me more, tell me more...

Originally Posted by choster
I give my banks, charities, insurance companies, etc. a free voice mail number instead of my mobile phone (I don't have a landline).

Where do you get your free voice mail from? This sounds like a great plan for someone who doesn't have a landline and travels constantly. In the past I had telemarketers calling my cell # at 2 and 3am since I wasn't in my "home" timezone at the time of the call.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
However, in the last three weeks, I start getting more of those calls from market research firms and police fund raising organizations. When I challenged them about my "do-not-call" registration, they always respond: "we are not regulated by FTC and do-not-call because we are not trying to sell you anything... " They would emphasize that they are not selling me anything. But I don't and didn't agree for them to call me either! And my time is money!
They are correct. Politicians - and political organzations - are also exempt from the Do-Not-Call law. You should become more familiar with the law and its limitations, whether we like it or not. If you really can't be bothered, let all calls roll to voicemail.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I use RingCentral, but they no longer offer a free plan (I was grandfathered). A Google search turns up several possible alternatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.