Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop issue with Windows Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Laptop issue with Windows Update

Windows update on my Thinkpad keeps wanting to install the same update at shutdown... I install it, but when I start it back up and shut down again it still wants to install.

I do the install manually and it still wants to install at shutdown.

I re-download the update, install it, and it still wants to install.

I'm vexxed, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Gold Medallion
Which update is this your having problems with?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If it shows up if you do a windows update from the tools menu, you can set it to not show again, that may keep it from installing again, depending on which one it is.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've got this on my desktop machine with the .NET Framework v2.0 update (BK928365). I can't uninstall the existing .NET stuff (2.0 x64 and 3.0) as it complains the installed packages are somehow damaged. I can't reinstall for the same reason. Anyone have a clue? It's an XP x64 box.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I've got this on my desktop machine with the .NET Framework v2.0 update (BK928365). I can't uninstall the existing .NET stuff (2.0 x64 and 3.0) as it complains the installed packages are somehow damaged. I can't reinstall for the same reason. Anyone have a clue? It's an XP x64 box.
Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thanks -- I saw that page before but never tried running the installer cleanup before. That seems to have done the trick!
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:23 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I was going to guess NET, it's a pain on just about everything, and many times our users don't even know they are getting it, because some stupid screen capture or something needs it.

It's certainly not just you or your machine.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
As far as updating goes, .NET seems to be extremely challenging for MS and is VERY confusing for users. First product I've ever seen where you're supposed to have v1,2 AND 3 installed concurrently. Invariably, the hardest problems to fix with Windows Update have been with .NET.

The best thing to do is go to HTTP://update.microsoft.com, click Custom, and run the update manually. When it errors, it'll pop up a cryptic 0x(whatever) code. Click that and it MAY provide a clue as to what's wrong. If not, google the code but in many cases the error messages themselves don't give any true direction either! It's stuff like this that makes me loathe MS. The largest software company in the world damn well can do better than this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.