tumi

Old Aug 18, 07, 10:18 am
Original Poster

tumi

tell me about the tumi line in genaral as well as the small expanable laptop bag(11-13" size). The lowest price I have found is 250.00. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your help...
Old Aug 18, 07, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamitreo View Post
tell me about the tumi line in genaral as well as the small expanable laptop bag(11-13" size). The lowest price I have found is 250.00. Is it worth it?

Thanks for your help...
I'm on my second (the first was stolen). I think TUMI is excellent. Before buying my first TUMI laptop bag, I had one by a lower-priced competitor (I don't recall the brand). I'm fairly rough on luggage and, within a year, the zippers had broken and the nylon had started to unravel. My first TUMI went 5 years before it was stolen. My new TUMI that replaced it is at 3+ years and looks brand new. In addition to the TUMI laptop bag, I have another one with wheels (6 years old), a TUMI rollaboard, garment bag and large rolling suitcase. The stuff is expensive, but I think it's worth it -- tough and well-designed. By the way, $250 for a laptop bag is good. My current one (which is the larger laptop bag) was $450.
Old Aug 18, 07, 10:48 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
High Quality

I have several Tumi items and they are all of high quality. Well worth the price difference. It's pennies a day for something that lasts a very long time, is highly functional, and will remain in style.

I recently had to return my leather laptop bag for a refurb; it was plain worn out after 7 years of daily use. The after sales service was quick and efficient. The cost was nominal. The bag came back in 'as new' condition. The process far exceeded my expectations.

SunLover
Old Aug 18, 07, 10:54 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
I have everything Tumi it is worth every penny. I bought a travelpro bag on sale it lasted one trip and the zipper is broken and the stitching coming out ...the savings was not worth it.
Old Aug 18, 07, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

good to hear the good comments. I think I will check the fit first then I will go ahead and get it, provided it fits. Is there any way to know when Tumi will come out with a new style?
Old Aug 18, 07, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Tumi leather briefcases are the best IMO. Great leather, looks and feel.
Old Aug 18, 07, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would go for Briggs and Riley over Tumi mainly due to B&R's unconditional warranty plan.
Old Aug 18, 07, 8:12 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I have a tumi laptop bag, and if somebody stole it tomorrow, after I got out of jail for killing them I would easily buy another.

Mine came from the outlets, so it wasn't as much as a regular store, but it's still a great bag.

I'm very rough on bags, this one will outlast me.
Old Aug 18, 07, 8:21 pm
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I actually have to go to the San Juan Tumi store to hand in a bag for warranty repair. This bag is beat to hell... what should I expect as far as after sales service?
Old Aug 18, 07, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Ah, some dissent from me. I had a TUMI laptop bag for several years. I loved it, too, just as all here have described. It was stolen in March. I bought another and found that quality had - IMO - gone way down. Many little things:

- shorter straps on handles making it harder to carry when stuffed - that is the handles didn't reach one another.
- No padding in the bottom of the computer "slot".
- Moving the computer slot from the front compartment on its own to one of several slots in the rear compartment.
- the material did not seem as durable - especially the lining inside.

There were a few other things, as well, but I don't remember now.

I returned it.

Also, the bag I did have before had zipper that showed a fault withing a month purchase. I was on the road for most of the next month, and then had to pay shpping ($35.00) to get warranty repairs.

It just seemed to me that TUMI thinks a lot of itself.

Bought Victorinox. Only about 40,000 miles on it so far, but I like it. MUCH less expensive and better designed, IMO.

When I returned the TUMI, the 50ish woman in the luggage department at Macy's told me that TUMI had been bought out and that several old TUMI customers had returned items newly purchased. FWIW.

Whatever you buy, enjoy it!
Old Aug 18, 07, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Iwould like to hear more about the tumi discount stores. are there any in Atlanta, GA or South Florida?

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 07, 9:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They had a page at their website that listed the outlet loations, but they don't seem to have that anymore. At least I couldn't find it.

Word of warning on the outlet centers, nothing there sold at any discount carries no warantee on it, it's all sold as is. Only full price first run stuff has their warantee.

It's a pain, but if you can't find it easily, hit the websites of the larger outlet centers to see if it's there.
Old Aug 19, 07, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Well I purchased the Tumi laptop bag today and registered at tumi's website for the recovery feature. First impresions are good. The laptop fits in the built-in sleeve perfectly. I like the fact that it's not a hugh bag. For one my travel laptop is only 11.1". Secondly the size does not allow me to be a pack rat (I know some of you are like me) ..... My first trip with the bag will be tomorrow to MIA via Airtran. I will post a review upon arrival.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and experiences....
Old Aug 19, 07, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
They had a page at their website that listed the outlet loations, but they don't seem to have that anymore. At least I couldn't find it.

Word of warning on the outlet centers, nothing there sold at any discount carries no warantee on it, it's all sold as is. Only full price first run stuff has their warantee.

It's a pain, but if you can't find it easily, hit the websites of the larger outlet centers to see if it's there.
If you follow this link you should get a list of all US outlets that have a Tumi store
Old Aug 19, 07, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

thanks. just my luck none are located close to me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: