Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What do you use Bluetooth for on a laptop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Thinkpad X60s (have been vacillating between and x60T, x60s or a Sony Vaio SZ, but the current Thinkpad sale is tipping the balance.)

I understand the benefits of WWAN, but need to decide whether or not to order the laptop with Bluetooth. What do YOU use Bluetooth for on your laptop? Is it "nice to have" or indispensable?
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use a Bluetooth mouse, connect to my Bluetooth cellphone, can use a Bluetooth GPS unit and wirelessly sync my PDA with it.

Usually it's only $20 or $30 more, I'd get it because adding it later can be much harder (and more expensive).
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think the main purprose is to connect your cell phone/PDA to sync data and as a modem.

Other uses could be...

* Using a bluetooth headset for VOIP
* Connecting a full-size bluetooth keyboard/mouse
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:27 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
USB dongles for Bluetooth are cheap. If the laptop that you want has BT that's fine but I wouldn't pay more than about $20 (the cost of a dongle at ecost.com) more for it.

It's really just another way for me to connect when I'm away from home (just upgraded to a T-moble phone with BT and EDGE, which is faster than dialup) but I woudn't call it indispensable
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:33 am

I primarily use bluetooth on my laptop to connect with a BT headset for Skype calling and other VoIP programs. Very handy feature, but recently I found a tiny USB phone that seems to have better sound quality, though not wireless...

I occasionally use bluetooth to transfer photos and data to/from my mobile phones. Depending on the phone, that's sometimes also possible via data card or USB cable. So - BT is handy, but I could live without it.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:34 am
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
I have it built in to my laptop an occasionally use it for my bluetooth keyboard, mouse and sometimes to sync my PDA. You could always by a USB dongle, but then you would have the USB connector hanging out of your computer which can be annoying.

BTW, if you have a high speed wireless card in your laptop you can sync your PDA to run off it as well.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:11 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
If I was buying a new laptop, I would definitly want bluetooth on it. While it is true that you can get external dongles for cheap, then you are still stuck plugging something in.

Especially on a laptop as small as the x60s, the value of just taking a completley wireless mouse out of your bag and having it work with no dongles and no wires is immense.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate Bluetooth dongles. In fact, I hate ANYHTING that sticks out of my notebook.

I like everything integrated. Anything as small as a Bluetooth dongle WILL get lost, or it WILL break, and if you are lucky it'll only break the dongle, and not the entire USB port out of your machine.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Its great if you also own a bluetooth enabled printer. This means you can fire off print jobs form your laptop to your printer anywhere in the house without the need to physically connect. Great Stuff!
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't like the dongles, either, but my new Vaio laptop has built-in Bluetooth. I use it with a Bluetooth mouse, my Bluetooth headset (same one I use with my cellular phone) for Skype and Net Meeting, and with my cellular phone as a modem and for syncing to my Outlook contacts.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Unless it's really a lot more expensive, spend the money. I got it for future-proofing, use it now with my PDA but perhaps next birthday I'll get a BT mouse and free up a usb port.

The less external nonsense I have to deal with the better.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I only use it to tether my pda to it for inet access when in a spot where they dont have wireless.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With Dell it's only $26 more on most systems. Well worth it IMHO. Especially since you get a GOOD adapter integrated, and not some crappy Chinese junk dongle with 2 feet range. My BT2.0 adapter picks up signals from across the road
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In addition, if you're just going to be a casual user of Bluetooth, I imagine your x60 will have a hotkey that will disable and enable it quickly (which will save on battery life).
Old Mar 29, 2007, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hmm..a lot of great input - thanks!

Does not sound like I would use it much (don't use a mouse; I sync my Blackberry with the USB cable while it is charging, don't use VOIP.)

BUT -- it's only an extra $30, so I'll probably get it. Since the x60s don't have a trackpad, I may start using a mouse again after all these years. Can definitley see the advantage of "futureproofing" as well.

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.