Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where can I rent a cell phone in China?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dtsm
Does that mean we don't need to dial the 17951 access code to get the cheaper IDD rates now?
well, yes. but, the bad news is that we need to use --the much harder to memorize-- 12593. the quality is very good, though.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. As stated above you can get a decent Chinese cell phone for next to nothing in China, 300Y is stated above, that's minimum, but you can get something decent for under $100.

2. Depending on what model you have almost any cell phone can be cracked in China for anywhere from 50-200 Renmenbi.

3. they sell SIM cards almost everywhere.

4. In many countries incoming calls are free (assuming you are in the same country as your service) charging for incoming calls is primarily a US centric pheonomena.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
4. In many countries incoming calls are free (assuming you are in the same country as your service) charging for incoming calls is primarily a US centric pheonomena.
With respect to the countries with which I am familiar (I'm thinking of Japan, Phils, Thailand, and Singapore), "free" usually means "calling party pays (dearly)".
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:37 pm

I don't know about Schenzen, but in Hong Kong phone unlocking is really simple. Go to the phone center in Mongkok. It costs about US$10.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by moondog
With respect to the countries with which I am familiar (I'm thinking of Japan, Phils, Thailand, and Singapore), "free" usually means "calling party pays (dearly)".
I ordered a United Mobile card today. What I typically do with prepaids is forward my TMobile to Telcan.net and then have that forward to the prepaid. However, recently, Ive tried substituting Skype as a forwarding service. Skype charges a bit over 2 cents per minute to China so if someone calls me it shouldnt cost too much.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Gold; US Air Silver; Amtrak Select Plus; Starwood Platinum; UA 1K; Aeroflot Bonus
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Going to Beiing in a couple weeks. Am I reading the United Mobile info on www.prepaidgsm.net correctly that incoming calls are free on the cell phone in China?? Im just a bit confused about the origination and destination zones but think that those apply only to outgoing calls. Also, has anyone used a United Mobile card in Beijing and can comment on the service? Thanks.
I was in Beijing last month. Incoming calls are free in China. Service with United Mobile was generally OK, but there were a couple of times when the network was busy and I couldn't get a call through. My phone would also sometimes select a network that didn't work with United Mobile, and I would have to manually change networks.

I also have a China Mobile SIM if anyone needs it. There are no credits left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.