Wiki Posts
Search

Thumb Drive Security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Thumb Drive Security

My company recently notified us that all thumb drives will now require security to protect information. Does anyone have a good security program that can be installed to a thumb drive?
Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DCATravel
My company recently notified us that all thumb drives will now require security to protect information. Does anyone have a good security program that can be installed to a thumb drive?
Not to be unhelpful, but if they are going to require it, shouldn't they also choose, provide and support it?
Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
I use truecrypt for my thumbdrives but I agree with Remy, surprising they are requiring you to secure your files and allowing you to implement the security.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What Weez_1000 said - try TrueCrypt.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:25 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Ditto truecrypt--they have a mode where you can install and run it right off the drive.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:48 pm

The only issue with truecrypt traveller mode (that lets you run truecrypt off a USB drive) is that it requires a driver to be installed on the computer. This driver allows the encrypted file/partition to be mounted as a drive.

So, in order for it to work you either need
1) Administrator access to the computer
or
2) Someone w/ admin access to install the driver on the computer (only needs to be done once)

Note: This is assuming you use XP
Old Mar 10, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
When my company started requiring encrypted thumb drive, it issued every employee (tens of thousands) with a Kingston® DataTraveler® Elite – Privacy Edition 1GB drive. Around $50-60 for a 1GB drive, available up to 8GB.

No driver installation, works on any computer you plug it into, as long as you have the password. 128-bit hardware-based AES encryption and automatically formats the entire drive after a certain number of failed password attempts.

http://www.kingston.com/press/2006/flash/03a.asp
Old Mar 10, 2007, 5:10 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Once again - Truecrypt
I use it for my thumbdrives and my laptop for personal files. Its real easy to use.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
I love truecrypt too... but unfortunatly I'm not able to use it much any more since its windows only... nevertheless its great for what it does.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Your company can't possibly require something and not tell you what they are requiring. That's about the poorest policy I've ever heard of. They should at the minimum offer you a choice of several program that they support and have certified as being acceptable for the level of protection they are looking for.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 1:31 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by SpaceBass
I love truecrypt too... but unfortunatly I'm not able to use it much any more since its windows only... nevertheless its great for what it does.
I know they have a linux port, not sure about the BSDs.......
Old Mar 11, 2007, 3:03 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA MP, JetBlue TrueBlue, ICH PC Rewards
I suggest that you buy a drive with U3 Smart Technology. I have a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro and just love it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.