Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Windows Mobile Chinese language support on English OS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Windows Mobile Chinese language support on English OS?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Question Windows Mobile Chinese language support on English OS?

Hi all --

My trusty Treo 600 is dying on me, so I thought it high time to get a new smartphone, and I wanted to look into Windows Mobile this time around, since it seems all the makers are moving in that direction.

I wanted to have a friend buy something in the US, as it'll be much cheaper than China where I am, and bring it to me... but it's important for me to have Chinese language capability. It's OK for the UI to be in English, but I need some way of reading/writing Chinese (both simplified and traditional).

Can English Windows mobile devices support Chinese either built-in or thourgh a addon? For instance, on English Windows XP, you just need to install the optional "East Asian Language Support" from the CD. Or on English PalmOS, you can get an addon software, "CJKOS" for Chinese support.

Anything like that for Windows Mobile? Or is there no way to add it, and I should just get a phone with Chinese OS already. If so, is there a way to somehow reflash a US model phone with a Chinese Windows Mobile OS?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ryu2; Feb 5, 2007 at 8:06 am
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:15 am
Suspended

While not windows mobile, my Nokia E61 does have Chinese Language capability, as well as many other languages.

Mine came from Hong Kong and even has a Chinese/English translation dictionary built in.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
You want Monster Chinese.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:45 pm

Not familiar with smartphones but if like regular mobile, you can flash OS to make it native (but lose original OS). I would suggest researching on howardchui.com and his forum site as they really get into this type of thing
Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I think xda-developers (if you are going for HTC phones) is also another very good site. and yes you can make it work in Chinese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.