Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Staying in touch with Webcam

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2007, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Smile Staying in touch with Webcam

Being on the road too often staying in touch with the folks is important... So I bought myself a Webcam and installed Skype.
Makes your hotel stay in the middle of nowhere a little more bearable
See my post on Webcams and Conferencing at

Videocams for the global traveler
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by WillowGlenLover
Being on the road too often staying in touch with the folks is important... So I bought myself a Webcam and installed Skype.
Makes your hotel stay in the middle of nowhere a little more bearable
See my post on Webcams and Conferencing at

Videocams for the global traveler
Know what you mean. I'm from one European country living in another and have friends and family scattered all over the world. What would we do without the technology.

/E
Old Feb 3, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
heh and i am in the US and my girlfriend lives in Australia. it's like the ONLY way to keep in touch without spending a gillion dollars on phone calls. msn works better for me though than skype.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 8:02 pm
GAC
Suspended

I do the same. Great stuff. I have a 7 mo. old baby and a web cam at home and one for my laptop - we connect via Skype. Love it!!!!!
Old Feb 4, 2007, 3:15 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hertz #1 5*, CO, AA
Originally Posted by gosha83
heh and i am in the US and my girlfriend lives in Australia. it's like the ONLY way to keep in touch without spending a gillion dollars on phone calls. msn works better for me though than skype.
I know exactly what you mean. My g/f is at school in the Caribbean, so we use a webcam and skype a lot. Thats funny though, skype works better for us (although MSN has a much better webcam feature than skype, at least for now).

Skype and MSN have made it so much easier. And a cheap cam and headset does the trick.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've been webconferencing with my kids, now 7 and 3, for about 3 years now using SightSpeed. I even can get by using my Treo for bandwidth, via EV-DO, in a pinch. A great quality-of-life improvement.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM
K, so started dating someone who is a FA, he had skype, I joined...we had our first converstaion over audio, then video once webcam drivers were installed at 3am today....after he woke up from his nap we then again talked for another 40 mins. It is nice, doesn't make you feel like you are 6000 miles apart. This is one thing I am greatful for for the internet..
Old Feb 4, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I always take my webcam with me and Skype with my wife and daughter from Europe. We also set up my parents on Skype in Australia so that they can keep up with their granddaughter growing up. Makes all the difference.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 9:32 pm
RKG

When I travel to Asia, I keep in touch with my wife and 9 month old son using iChat. As with almost all things Apple - it just works!

We also set up the grandparents in Tokyo with an iBook with iChat. They enjoy seeing and hearing their grandson weekly.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, Hertz #1 5*, CO, AA
I need to get a new webcam for my laptop, anyone know of any that they realllly like which doesnt cost $100+
Old Feb 6, 2007, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The Logitech QuickCam Webcam For Notebooks PRO USB Web Cam can be had for as little as $45, according to Froogle. I've used mine for over 3 years.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:23 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by CPRich
The Logitech QuickCam Webcam For Notebooks PRO USB Web Cam can be had for as little as $45, according to Froogle. I've used mine for over 3 years.
Second that - I have an earlier version and also a desktop Logitech - and they all work flawlessly. Have had other webcams with numerous problems.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Webcam

Originally Posted by SharpDoggy
I need to get a new webcam for my laptop, anyone know of any that they realllly like which doesnt cost $100+
I use Creative Live; after rebates it was $15 and it's a tiny camera which you can mount on your laptop
Old Feb 7, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Woot.com has a great offer on a webcam + bluetooth earpiece + dongle going on today. Just check out the site, as it is being sold for $29 + shipping of $5.

Ezonics iContact Pro II Webcam w/ Bluetooth Headset & Dongle

Usually retails from $69 to $99.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
I've got one of the Logitech webcams, as does my brother. We can get video conferencing just fine, but no sound, using Yahoo messenger.

Ideas?

Also, any experience between a Mac with iChat, and Yahoo messenger (or anything else) on a PC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.