Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the cons of slingbox?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iwebslinger
I have a Cable company DVR. What does that do for the setup? I think someone said that when I am watching it my family will not be to watch tv. Is that correct?
More or less -- they can only watch what you're watching (or you can only watch what they're watching). The Slingbox takes the analog output from your DVR, just like your television, and streams it over the internet to the client on your remote computer.
Old Feb 3, 2007, 9:54 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
we've been living in Singapore for a few months and over Christmas were back at our house in the US. I bought a Slingbox for my wife and used the opportunity to get it set up and running well. There are a few things you can do to reduce the cons, the easiest being to shell out the additional $10 per month to your cable company for a dedicated cablebox/dvr for your slingbox.
I havent done much tweaking and tuning yet, but am pretty happy with the results. We bought the basic model for about $100US and wanted to make sure it worked at all, now we'll probably upgrade to the HD model (our cable company has a fair amount of HD programming) on our next trip home.
I just downloaded the slingplayer for my mobile phone, havent tried it yet, but am not expecting too much there!!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by jaginger
I'm thinking not so good. Is this your max speed or average?
Thanks for the reply, sorry about the delay, Yea that's my max. upload, although I do have 3Mb down. The beauty of ADSL!
Old Feb 6, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
why not

Originally Posted by stephem
I just downloaded the slingplayer for my mobile phone, havent tried it yet, but am not expecting too much there!!
why don't you expect much, this is one of the great points of the SP, is the mobile app. I use it on a treo 700wx, a ppc 6700 and my ipaq hx4700, all work GREAT, even just over EVDO. Oh yeah, #1 1K GF uses it on her DASH, it works great there too. Full screen, just audio, whichever one chooses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.