Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How can I watch programs when outside US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I watch programs when outside US?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver & Hilton Diamond
He's revealed the secrets of the underground...
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:28 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by lmz00
BitTorrent is your friend.
Is it legal?
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfe
Is it legal?
BitTorrent is perfectly legal. Downloading copyrighted content is not.

It's like saying an MP3 player is illegal because it can hold downloaded music you didn't pay for...

BitTorrent is like the speeding of the internet world, it isn't allowed, but a lot of people do it
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:20 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by ScottC
BitTorrent is perfectly legal. Downloading copyrighted content is not.

It's like saying an MP3 player is illegal because it can hold downloaded music you didn't pay for...

BitTorrent is like the speeding of the internet world, it isn't allowed, but a lot of people do it
In other words, no
Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfe
In other words, no
Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on how you understand the term "fair use".

"So how does simply suggesting bittorrent help answer the question without telling us how to find the content?"
Hmmm, maybe something simple such as a quick Google search would help you? I use Demonoid.com and mininova.org. There are many others and they are easy to find. There are many legitimate used for bittorrent.

Here's one: http://publicdomaintorrents.com/

Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, United 1k
Too late now, but Slingbox works great for viewing TV when you are overseas. I have it hooked up to cable/DVR box and works great, I can even watch my DVRed shows or live TV.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, United 1k
Actually not a bad alternative is to use ITunes as well and download soem TV shows.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wifi-jedi
Too late now, but Slingbox works great for viewing TV when you are overseas. I have it hooked up to cable/DVR box and works great, I can even watch my DVRed shows or live TV.
Slingbox sounds like a nice idea but if I understand it correctly I must have a TV to connect it to in the US. Since I live overseas and currently do not own any property in the US I don't know how I could make it work.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on how you understand the term "fair use".
It matter more what a court of law understands "fair use" to be.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
try the two below. live streaming tv you can watch on your computer.

TVUPLAYER

http://www.tvunetworks.com/downloads/index.htm

or sopcast

sopcast.org
Old Jan 26, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I'm surprised it took so long for someone here to recommend iTunes. I live in Japan and use iTunes for most of my American TV needs. As long as you have a US address and US credit card, you can download from anywhere in the world. (Well, I'm pretty sure you can download from anywhere in the world... I've never had a problem downloading from Japan.)

The quality of the video is very good. I have a cable that connects my iPod to my TV, and I was stunned at the picture quality when I first viewed my iTunes downloads on the TV. It was almost as good as a regular TV broadcast. I bet most hotel TVs can also be connected to an iPod (assuming they have the regular video hookups).

Before discovering iTunes, I used to use Bittorrent. When Bittorrent works, it works very well. But I often had trouble finding good quality files for download, and even the good files sometimes have flaws. And sometimes the downloads take really long. With iTunes I get consistent high quality and fast downloads. Plus, and I know this will sound quaint, I just don't feel right downloading lots of copyrighted material for free. iTunes prices are quite reasonable (only $2 per episode, and some shows sell entire seasons for only $25 or $35), so I am more than happy to purchase shows legitimately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.