Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Replacing wireless router?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by legionnaire
interesting thread. any recommendations for a router that also enables
  • sharing an external hard drive across multiple notebooks/computers etc.?
  • printer sharing
If you mean a network hard drive and a printer with a built-in network interface, then any decent router should work. Or are you looking for a router with a built-in print server and USB interface?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by richarddd
If you mean a network hard drive and a printer with a built-in network interface, then any decent router should work. Or are you looking for a router with a built-in print server and USB interface?
The latter.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by legionnaire
The latter.
http://www.draytek.com/product/broad...igor2900vg.php
Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
You might want to consider getting a FON router, especially if you travel a bit. FON is a "social networking" company that is building a global WiFi community. Becoming a "Fonero" allows you to use their global WiFi network for free.

For about US$30.00, plus shipping, they sell a wireless router that you can use in three different ways. From their site, "There are actually three types of Fonero:

Most of us are Linuses. That means that we share our WiFi at home and in return get free WiFi wherever we find a FON Access Point.

Aliens are people who don’t share their WiFi yet. We charge them just €/$ 3 for a Day Pass to access the FON Community.

Bills are in business and so want to make some money from their WiFi. Instead of free roaming, they get a 50% share of the money that Aliens pay to access the Community through their FON Access Point. They can also advertise their business on their personalized FON Access Point homepage. "

I saw their CEO speak at a conference which I organized and became a "disciple." Check it out at www.fon.com

Don't worry, I just like the company. No affiliation at all...

fduvall
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood
Originally Posted by fduvall
You might want to consider getting a FON router ...

For about US$30.00, plus shipping, they sell a wireless router that you can use in three different ways. ...Check it out at www.fon.com
Thank you very much for the link. I didn't know this existed.

Question: From my brief read of the site, it seems the only way to become a "Fonero" is to buy a FON router (because only they have two channels built in - one private, and one for other Foneros to use).

Am I right? Is there no way to use an existing Router?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.