Wiki Posts
Search

Wireless Broadband: Verizon or Sprint?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by sprint
I am using at&t now, its so slow.
can you or your friend refer me for the SERO program?
My email is [email protected]
Thanks bro!
If you're in an AT&T UMTS coverage area, try their 3G before you switch. If you move around a lot though, Sprint is the way to go.

I've had both; it's been about a year since I've had verizon. I highly recommend Sprint. I had 1xRTT cards on both from the start, and had 1xEVDO cards on both from the start. Verizon's network goes up quicker in general, Sprint does a more comprehensive job of deploying advanced network footprint. The customer service stinks but I never need to talk to 'em on data issues.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Does anybody have any experience with T-mobile's broadband internet? I don't mean their HotSpot - they do offer a data card and a corresponding plan.

Thanks,
BB
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I tried my Verizon card here in downtown PIT and, while not 2Mbps as in VA, it's still 1.2Mbps
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Does anybody have any experience with T-mobile's broadband internet? I don't mean their HotSpot - they do offer a data card and a corresponding plan.

Thanks,
BB
Ugh. It's EDGE only, meaning you won't see much over 80kb/s.

They have been working on a 3G network for ages now, and there is no date or even an estimate when it will be up and running.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Xohm

Not sure if one means a traditional 3G wireless broadband network for sprint, or the XOHM network that sprint is going to be rolling out soon.

If they expect to generate the revenues they report by April 2008, then I have the feeling they will be lauching in some areas soon. It will reportedly be a staggered roll-out starting in Baltimore, Washington and Chicago by EOY2007.

Then, rolling out in Q108 in other markets. Pricing should be 40-50$
2-4mb down, similar to DSL upstream.

I am sure they will have some mobile devices that attach to this, but I don't see it hitting the phones too soon.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Just woke up in Atlanta (near Cobb Galleria) and Sprint is flying.......

http://www.speedtest.net/result/191533957.png
I am in Atlanta (midtown). My speed is considerably less on Sprint.

How are you getting these good results? Do I have something misconfigured? I am using the Sierra Wireless 595 card.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I live and travel to very rural areas and the Sprint card does a great job. I usually get at least 750kbs and usually in the 1mps level when in Evdo A areas.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by riteshraja
I am in Atlanta (midtown). My speed is considerably less on Sprint.

How are you getting these good results? Do I have something misconfigured? I am using the Sierra Wireless 595 card.
Do you live in Atlanta? Does your modem have an Atlanta number assigned? If not, there might be a significant decrease in speed due to the system limitation of CDMA EVDO because it has to connect to your local server first and then route it to where you are. Still the speed should be decent either way. Also your speed will be less the further away you are from the tower. Furthermore, modems closer to the tower get higher priority and higher speeds.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:06 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
riteshraja & TAHKUCT,

I did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, when I first loaded the 595U drivers from the supplied CD. Essentially plug and play.

While the speed I got at the Cobb Galleria hotel location was very fast, it is higher than typical. The speeds you are getting in Midtown, seem closer to the norm, as I travel around the country.

The week after my Cobb Galleria test I stayed at the Embassy Suites and then the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead, and my download speed ranged between 600K and 850K. The lower number was at the Embassy Suites, and higher at the Ritz.

For all I know, the Ritz was closer to a Sprint tower. The hotels are only about a half mile apart, on the same street.

As an FYI, my modem has a Los Angeles area code assigned to it. Funny thing about it though. When I'm at my home in El Lay, I can't hold a Rev. A signal. Best I can do is about 115K down.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Do you live in Atlanta? Does your modem have an Atlanta number assigned? If not, there might be a significant decrease in speed due to the system limitation of CDMA EVDO because it has to connect to your local server first and then route it to where you are. Still the speed should be decent either way. Also your speed will be less the further away you are from the tower. Furthermore, modems closer to the tower get higher priority and higher speeds.
I live in Orange County but when I do the test there or in San Diego I get 1.2 mbps down and 500 kpbs up. So the area code of your modem makes a difference?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:55 am

I live in Orange County but when I do the test there or in San Diego I get 1.2 mbps down and 500 kpbs up. So the area code of your modem makes a difference?
The speed depends on how far you are from your HA server. There is a lot of discussion on evdoforums.com that go into details how to change HA while you are away from your home area in order to boost speed.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:09 pm

The speed depends on how far you are from your HA server. There is a lot of discussion on evdoforums.com that go into details how to change HA while you are away from your home area in order to boost speed.
Dont know if it is just because of the change to TCP receive window as suggested in the EVDO forums but I am getting 2.2 down!
Old Oct 27, 2007, 7:49 pm

Dont know if it is just because of the change to TCP receive window as suggested in the EVDO forums but I am getting 2.2 down!
2.2 what?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 10:22 pm

2.2 what?
2.2 Mbps
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA AA HGP SPG HH
California AVE, Palo Alto, CA

http://www.speedtest.net/result/199981888.png

My usual download link with Sprint at my apartment in San Jose is 1.1 Mb/s, usually caped by the single T1 back haul.

It seems they are starting to have added additional back haul in Palo Alto. I am getting 2.1 Mb/s. Seems they are adding them to the more affluent area first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.