Reload this Page >

Your favourite laptop for travel....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your favourite laptop for travel....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2006, 6:35 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Originally Posted by swise
I no longer work for Apple, so I'm free to speculate now, as long as it's not based on anything I did before jumping ship. ...And nothing I did (at least in the last couple of years) gave me any clue on upcoming releases.

Anyway, it might be worth waiting until after MacWorld to see what comes out. There have been some rumors on the web about a smaller portable.
And when is the next MacWorld? Got a trip around the world (although not strictly "RTW" trip) next May and thanks to the airline's weight & size limits, I was going to leave home my usual laptop and go without one. But if I can find a real light and small laptop, mostly for checking emails and that sort of thing, it'd be great.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 7:00 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by iwebslinger
Really that would be great. Although I love my MCB pro 15 it is heavy.

Same here. Had there been one available when I got the MBP 15" I would have jumped at it. I have heard rumors about there being a 12" released next year.

/E
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by UA_Eagle
And when is the next MacWorld? Got a trip around the world (although not strictly "RTW" trip) next May and thanks to the airline's weight & size limits, I was going to leave home my usual laptop and go without one. But if I can find a real light and small laptop, mostly for checking emails and that sort of thing, it'd be great.
Looks like it's Jan 8-12 this year.

link
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Id go with either the Macbook Pro or the Thinkpad x60, both are very small and very convenient for travel, the only disadvantage to the X60 is in order to play dvd's you either need their external usb drive or the ultrabay which is a media slice under the unit. I say its a disadvantage but i find it actually to be a nice option to have. When i travel long distances i rip the dvd to the HD so i don't need to carry the external drive or the dvd's around. Ive seen the Sony and it is an awesome travel machine, its a little too expensive for my taste as well.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
Id go with either the Macbook Pro or the Thinkpad x60, both are very small and very convenient for travel, the only disadvantage to the X60 is in order to play dvd's you either need their external usb drive or the ultrabay which is a media slice under the unit. I say its a disadvantage but i find it actually to be a nice option to have. When i travel long distances i rip the dvd to the HD so i don't need to carry the external drive or the dvd's around. Ive seen the Sony and it is an awesome travel machine, its a little too expensive for my taste as well.
Just checked out the x60, seems nice and light, but possibly a bit big 12.1 is a little out of my size range i think.

As an aside, does anyone find those fingerprint readers usefull?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by laptop9999
I've been using a VAIO TR-3A for over 2 years. It has everything I need for travel.
Ditto. I know the new Vaio's are expensive, but the battery life & weight are well worth it to me.

I'd love to be able to upgrade to the version with the built-in DVD burner....Tell you what: I'll sell you my Vaio TR-3A for a good price if you want.

Best, Dave
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by aceman
As an aside, does anyone find those fingerprint readers usefull?
They are useful, but not really that big a deal. It only takes a 2 seconds for me to enter my password the old-fashioned way.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Originally Posted by bseller
Ditto. I know the new Vaio's are expensive, but the battery life & weight are well worth it to me.

I'd love to be able to upgrade to the version with the built-in DVD burner....Tell you what: I'll sell you my Vaio TR-3A for a good price if you want.

Best, Dave
I love my Vaio VGN-T250 for travel. Pricey but worth it.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:08 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
My Dell 700m (pre-HD failure... thanks a lot Toshiba! ) has worked out great! Has everything you talked about, plus an SD reader built in. Also, terrific screen.

All for a grand total of $700-some-odd.

Second that also
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The keyboard went out on my Dell 700m about 2 months back (after about 18 months) and was replaced under warranty. As it only cost $750, it was a good deal, but if I buy another one next year I'll make sure to get the extended warranty again.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 4:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Smaller is better

I have a 15.4" Tosh, and it worked fine, (a little cramped on the table), until the dude in front of me decided to recline waaay back during the middle of the flight. His seat touched the back of the screen, and now it has a white dot where that happened. So, it is much better to go smaller for portability and precautionary sake.

~beckoa
Old Dec 24, 2006, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I use a ThinkPad X60 (to the question above, I don't bother with the fingerprint reader). Big enough to use as my regular computer at work (docked with the CD/DVD drive) and small enough to travel with. My main preference in devices generally is to minimize the number I need to have/carry/sync/etc (hence I actually use my Blackberry 8700 as my phone). I find the X60 a good, all-around solution. Though not having a track pad took a couple days to get used to.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, US, UA, Starwood
I just switched from the dell 600m to the Fujitsu p7120 all I can say is what a relief! On my recent trip to LAX I left my laptop (600m) at home between the wait and the bad battery life (which meant that I had to carry a second battery) it just wasn't worth it. Now the p7120 gets a mex 7.25 hours battery life and it weighs in at some 3 lbs.

Instead of purchasing it from the fujitsu website, I purchased it from their ebay store that sells the refurbished laptops for a mere $1,100 (msrp is $2,000) and I bought a 3-year warranty for an additional $200.

Bye bye dell, hello Fujitsu, Sony, HP and all the other companies that make many light-weight and nicely designed laptops!
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA PP
I bought the Averatec 1020 ED-2 back in August for 700 CAD +taxes. This came with a free HP all in one and was a great deal as Best Buy Canada was clearing stock.

On initial tests it had a battery life of 3.5 hours with Wireless on and 4 hours with wireless off.

Here is a brief review of it:
http://www.small-laptops.com/averatec-1020/

This was great to carry with me as my only piece of baggage is a backpack most of the time. It's light at 3.6 lbs and a god send to the 9.5 pound Dell Inspiron I used to lug around.

I often sit in lectures next to girl with a Sony Vaio (all decorated pretty with stickers) and she often has to plug it in to charge (about the same size with roughly the same amount of peripherals).

The thing to note about this laptop is that if works better if you smaller fingers and the screen may be shockingly too small for certain people. The hard drive also gets *hot* if on for an extended amount of time.

And Averatec tech support is notorious for being horrible but I would be getting problems fixed on my own anyway.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:24 pm

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Since I dont have the option to pick my work latop, I'd have to say my fav gadget is probably my iPod.

At home I have (magic) all my fav shows and movies on a huge drive. Before a trip I sync my music (all AAC uncompressed), podcasts and videos. I LOVE the shure ec5s and when I get to the hotel I have a cable to plug into the AV jacks for videos....it makes being gone a little more tolerable.

As sad as this sounds...on more than one occassion Mrs. SpaceBass and I have watched the same show at the same time and chatted on speakerphone...its not the same as being on the couch but it works.

iPod gets my vote!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.