Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have a personal toll free number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

If so, can you tell me which company provides the service?

Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:38 pm

Yup and have had it for over 5 years - couldn't stand calling cards to call back home.

I got it through Sprint when they were in Canada and then my toll free service was transfered to Rogers. I pay only for the incoming calls ($.021 per minute) and no other fees.

The number has been great for my kids to call home on from pay phones and has saved me from having to buy the kids a cell phone as they can always call home.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:44 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by businesstraveler

Thanks
I have a toll-free for my Fax service (thru www.efax.com).

While I like it, it is an 877 number which I know is blocked from many foreign countries (like even 800) so many times when I send a fax to Australia, Japan or Argentina they cannot respond.

As such I also have to subscribe to a local (US area code) phone number.

There are pluses and minuses to 'toll free'.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by back seat
I got it through Sprint when they were in Canada and then my toll free service was transfered to Rogers. I pay only for the incoming calls ($.021 per minute) and no other fees.
2 cents a minute is a great rate! In the US, they now have a large additional fee for payphones, 60 cents or so a call. That can add up quite quickly.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:53 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
i had one with sprint but gave it up a long time ago. Wih nationwide long distance and cell phones that have nationwideplans i never needed it anymore. I also you use skype now.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I've had one for at least eight or nine years. Got a vanity number way back when before cell coverage was decent everywhere, the wife and I would be on the road so much that just calling a toll free that rang at the house saved us a ton of money in hotels and in roaming cell calls.

Don't remember the company at the time, they have been taken over by other companies a half dozen times. A few years ago I transfered it over to Kall8, as who had it wasn't doing personal numbers anymore.

I can change it on the fly, which I couldn't before, so it was a pain to change the ring to number.

No problems with kall8, can't say if the rates are the lowest or not out there, but the service has been good, and I don't want to transfer it again.

Glad I got it when I did, when the companies were going nuts with changes I looked for another vanity version of it and nothing that was any good was available.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 5:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by businesstraveler

Thanks
Yes - had to get one so our kids will call home. Got it from our CLEC - 4 a minute based on 6 sec increments and 6 sec minimum call duration.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:43 am

I've used www.kall8.com for a few years without a single problem. I now transferred the number to my long distance company (www.3utelecom.com). I like 3utelecom because their rates are fairly cheap, they use one second billing, their toll free number costs me only $1/mo plus long distance, and they have a very nice "calling card" feature that is useful when traveling. I actually have a few close friends and family members registered with my "calling card" so that they can dial international long distance numbers to reach me and not have to worry about the expensive charges. PM me if you want a referral. I think we both save $5.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
We do... we get ours from broadvoice and its like an added $5/month and that includes 100 minutes then its like 2 cents a minute.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have one from Telcan.net. I use it primarily when I am out of the country. I forward my cell phones to the 800 number and then can forward that to a prepaid SIM in another country using the Telcan web interface. I gave the number to my dad when he was alive so that he could call me for free and always reach me. Dont have quite as much reason to have it since he died, but it is so cheap that I havent bothered to cancel it and it is nice when I am out of the country.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I have one with callbackworld, costs 1.00$ a month, and I can redirect it at will. Costs me about .04 in the USA, but i use it mostly to route to my riiing cell, which costs me .11$ cpm in about 100 countries around the world. That is what I use it for.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I used to have one, before my kids had cellphones; I think that it was with opex. Many (most ?) of the lower cost long distance providers offer them - I used to find the best deals at www.lowermybills.com (opex was the best deal for me at the time). Now I'm using VOIP, so have lost touch with exactly what is on offer.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I have one from Telcan.net. I use it primarily when I am out of the country. I forward my cell phones to the 800 number and then can forward that to a prepaid SIM in another country using the Telcan web interface. I gave the number to my dad when he was alive so that he could call me for free and always reach me. Dont have quite as much reason to have it since he died, but it is so cheap that I havent bothered to cancel it and it is nice when I am out of the country.
I've used Telcan for about 5 years for my business 800 number. Many nice features, but they regularly go off line, have super long waits until they connect (almost 60 seconds a week ago!), and their customer support is abysmal. They have also added a monthly fee, installed a voicemail feature not requested (for $7 a line!) and a lot of other irritating things. I've just signed the papers to switch to another carrier.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've used Telcan for about 5 years for my business 800 number. Many nice features, but they regularly go off line, have super long waits until they connect (almost 60 seconds a week ago!), and their customer support is abysmal. They have also added a monthly fee, installed a voicemail feature not requested (for $7 a line!) and a lot of other irritating things. I've just signed the papers to switch to another carrier.
Thanks for that info. I hadnt noticed that extra fee. I hadnt had the problems you had either but I dont use it much. Who did you switch to?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got one on my Vonage line. $5/month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.