Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Handheld GPS advice please..

Old Aug 29, 06, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

I am in the market for a handheld GPS system but am not all that tech-savvy so am looking for a no-frills device.. I've heard good things about the TomTom 510 but am a little wary because it's an older model.. does anyone have any experience with this device or any other TomTom products? Any advice would be welcomed.. thanks!
Old Aug 29, 06, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1) The TomTom 510 is not an old device, it is brand new and just several months old.

2) The TomTom 510 is not considered a handheld device, it is an automotive device.

It would help if I knew what you want to do with it... A handheld device is just that; soemthing you carry along with you, they are usually a little more rugged, but most of them lack features seen in an automotive device like street level maps and a touch screen.

Are you looking for something for in the car, or something to drag along on a hiking trip?
Old Aug 31, 06, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi Scott--

Thanks for getting back to me-- I meant I was on the prowl for a portable GPS device, one you can put in any car (sorry, just goes to show my lack of knowledge on the subject--Basically, I'm looking for a low-priced portable GPS system that has basic features (nothing too fancy), I actually just heard that TomTom released a model called the One or something that is a low $500, which is definitely more in my price range.. Do you know/heard anything about this model? Thanks Scott!
Old Aug 31, 06, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
something to drag along on a hiking trip?
Tagalonging here, hope everyone doesn't mind. If on a hiking trip, I'd need one for my kid and one for the dog. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old Aug 31, 06, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by crankyusi
Tagalonging here, hope everyone doesn't mind. If on a hiking trip, I'd need one for my kid and one for the dog. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Your dog needs a GPS???? Pretty talented dog, I'd say.

A GPSr (Global Positioning System receiver) is used to determine the position (and other information) of the unit itself. Geocaching.com has a lot of information, links, and resources about these. I've been fairly pleased with my Garmin etrek Vista, working with some supplemental mapping disks.

From your comment though, I'm wondering if you're looking for some kind of electronic tracking device (RFID device or something similar?); if so, you might want to confirm. But I can't help you there.
Old Sep 1, 06, 4:35 am

Smile

[QUOTE=TRRed]Your dog needs a GPS???? Pretty talented dog, I'd say.

Yes, he's trained me to spoil him everyday. Thank you for the input, sounds like it is a tracking device I'm looking for.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: