Wiki Posts
Search

Verizon FIOS TV

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 7:34 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member
Original Poster

Verizon FIOS TV

They start Verizon FIOS TV and Internet tomorrow in my area. I would love to bail on Adelphia.

Any recent experiences or stories about FIOS TV?

Good HD DVR's? Good channels?

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2006, 7:15 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
Originally Posted by auh2o
They start Verizon FIOS TV and Internet tomorrow in my area. I would love to bail on Adelphia.

Any recent experiences or stories about FIOS TV?

Good HD DVR's? Good channels?

Thanks.
I have FiOS internet and its amazing! There were some latency issues at first, but its great now.

As for TV I can only tell you what I've read. It seems to depend on the area. In other words I'm not sure its a national service that is the same everywhere. For a while in TX (i think) it was a redistribution of DirectTV. In northern VA- near me- they seem to be doing their own thing.

The quality should be amazing as they can send it uncompressed over that line, however i have no idea what they are actually doing.

I guess, like you, I'm curious to know as well. They may start offering it here soon. I'd LOVE to get directTV over fiber...currently I have 2 dishes set up and neither is on my property...quite a mess.
Old May 30, 2006, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Does FIOS offer static IPs that you can host web sites from?
Old May 30, 2006, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Does FIOS offer static IPs that you can host web sites from?
I have business level service which is different.
I get 5 free statics and then up to 13 is $50/month (i currently have 10).

However, on residential service they block port 25 and I suspect they block 80.

You can always change the default port and then configure your DNS on your domain name accordingly... but thats no fun!

Frankly if I ever change jobs and my company stops paying for my connection I'll leave Verizon. I cannot support an ISP that blocks ports or does traffic shaping...i find that so wrong.
Old May 30, 2006, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm waiting for FIOS in our area. How much does the business service with 5 IPs cost? I'm currently using a Comcast @work line for ~$170/month for 1mb up and a pretty big pipe down.
Old May 30, 2006, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I'm waiting for FIOS in our area. How much does the business service with 5 IPs cost? I'm currently using a Comcast @work line for ~$170/month for 1mb up and a pretty big pipe down.
I think we are paying $100 actually..
I was with comcast too and it blew. They claimed 8mbs down and 1mb up and I NEVER got close to that. I finally got ahold of a senior tech who said I was never going to get those speeds- at least sustained.

The 1mb up was the big problem for me... that's just not enough for VoIP, torrents, servers...oh and my work VPN (forgot about the legit use of my connection).

With FiOS I have 15mbs down and 5 mbs up and I can actually sustain close to 13mbs transfers a lot of the time.
Old May 30, 2006, 11:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
One of my colleagues has the FIOS business service at his home in Northern Virgina (Reston). He's unable to get the TV service because his account is classified as business, but can't use the residential because they don't have static IPs. He's been happy with the actual internet service, but feels the customer service from Verizon has been poor.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:29 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Just switched from comcast to fios internet last week at home. So far so good. They also upgraded my phone. The guy was there for 8 hours working on my system. Been testing the speed regularly and it's fast and consistent. Still have comcast until next week. (Was not about to turn fios on without a safety net) Had no trouble switching over my mail. Was nice actually only moving the companies I wanted to switch.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would it be considered a TOS violation if I said that I hate everyone that has FIOS?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
Would it be considered a TOS violation if I said that I hate everyone that has FIOS?
Only if we can DDOS attack you
Ping-flood time boys...
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Only if we can DDOS attack you
Ping-flood time boys...
Word is that Comcast is moving all their "gold" customers from 8/768 to 16/1.5 this summer, so I'll still be happy
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
Word is that Comcast is moving all their "gold" customers from 8/768 to 16/1.5 this summer, so I'll still be happy
Not to derail the topic...but the problem with comcast (besides the latency) is that they may deliver that in a bust, but you never get those actual speeds sustained. Frankly I never got over 7.3mbs on my 8/768k account...and i couldnt systain that through a transfer.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
Not to derail the topic...but the problem with comcast (besides the latency) is that they may deliver that in a bust, but you never get those actual speeds sustained. Frankly I never got over 7.3mbs on my 8/768k account...and i couldnt systain that through a transfer.
I live in an area with a lot of old folks, so my speeds are always very very good.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With FiOS I have 15mbs down and 5 mbs up and I can actually sustain close to 13mbs transfers a lot of the time.
And just last month I was jumping for joy over Verizon finally upgrading my DSL from 1.5mbs to 3.0mbs...and here you go boasting 15mbs!

Thanks a lot for bursting my bubble!

Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:38 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Everyone I know that has FIOS loves it. I would love some other options... I'm stuck paying Time Warner $300/mo for 1.5 up/3.0 down. They SUCK but they're the only option. DSL? Bah... SBC promises max 6.0 down 1.0 up on their highest service. I tried it for a month... got 2.0 down 640 up. I'm FAIRLY close to the CO... maybe I should check out pricing on a DS3 to the house.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.