Wiki Posts
Search

Ear buds

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-2MM & 75K
Ear buds

I know a lot of people like the Bose noise cancelling headphones and I have read a lot of positive comments about them on here. But, does anyone use ear buds? Any comments or recommendations?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by dbyyz
I know a lot of people like the Bose noise cancelling headphones and I have read a lot of positive comments about them on here. But, does anyone use ear buds? Any comments or recommendations?
google for the etymotic in-ear phones. or shure brand ones.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
There are plenty of threads on this very topic in the Travel Technology forum here on FlyerTalk. Do a search on "Shure" or "Etymotic" both of which offer IMHO "better" alternatives to the cheaply built Bose NC headphones!
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Etymotic ER6i

I currently use the Etymotic ER 6i(solator) ear buds and really like them as they are small (and light) enough to fit snug in my ears and allow me sleep on my side on the plane. They were failry inexpensive (got them on Amazon for about half the retail price) and have very good sound quality.

The downside is that they noise-reducing/isolation earphones, and not true noise cancellation. The other oddity is the echo I feel from my body movements. Its wierd, but if I am walking with these, I can feel the thud sounds of my footsteps, even though I am not making any noise. The BOSE system is the best, but I find them bulky and difficult to sleep, so this set is a good compromise.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:40 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I personally hate earbuds, they're way too loud and hurt my ears.

Hurt ears or hot ears, your choice .
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I use the Sony noise-cancelling earbuds. I don't think you can get them in Canada. Reviews have harped on poor quality but I haven't had any problems. Yes, you kind of pick up body vibrations but the combination of passive/active noise blockage/cancellation virtually reduces all cabin noise (more than the Bose).

I find them much easier to use than over-the-ear (Bose) ones.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by cur
I personally hate earbuds, they're way too loud and hurt my ears.

Hurt ears or hot ears, your choice .

there's the volume control! :P turn it down so it won't be too loud?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:07 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
I picked up a pair of Koss noise isolating earbuds in YYZ at Eaton Center. They are great! They have this moldable foam like earplugs around a little tube. Fits snuggly in my ears and give great sound for the $35 they cost. I wouldn't spend as much money as $300 or more for Bose.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:27 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by dnotes
there's the volume control! :P turn it down so it won't be too loud?
if you only told me earlier....
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:08 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

This topic as noted from other members is covered quite well in Travel Technology. As a topic of interest for all members, this thread is being relocasted there. Thanks for your interest and your input.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:44 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
I love earbuds and after buying MANY pairs have finally settled on the Shure E5C. They have a new model called the E500 coming out that's supposed to be even better. I saw it at CES but didn't get a chance to listen as there was a line to check them out!!! Expensive, but IMO worth it. The E2c or E3c are better values. I like the Shure line as they have many different styles and sizes of eartips that ensure a good fit. Etymotic has earpiece choices but not as many and I find the Etys more difficult to use as a result of the types of earpieces they require.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
The Shure and Etymotic block all noise, not just the part of the spectrum BOSE and other noise canceling systems target. With the Shures conversational frequencies seem to be blocked - with the BOSE, not.

I bought the BOSE, tried the Shures and sold the BOSE.

The Shures don't happen to bother my ears at all. For some, it is very irritating or even painful.

With the Shures I get better sound without the artifact of the noise canceling system.

The Shures are way smaller and easier to pack in the carry-on.

In the end, it is personal preference.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL GM,2MM [3.37TMM]
As Emma65 said, Koss makes some absolutely killer earbuds for what you'd spend on lunch at Friday's.
Try "The Plug" , or if you really want to look cool, "The Spark Plug" .
Personally, I use "The Plug".
You Etymotic guys, why don't you buy The Plug instead and send me the extra $275?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:20 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by JT8D-217
As Emma65 said, Koss makes some absolutely killer earbuds for what you'd spend on lunch at Friday's.
Try "The Plug" , or if you really want to look cool, "The Spark Plug" .
Personally, I use "The Plug".
You Etymotic guys, why don't you buy The Plug instead and send me the extra $275?
'Cause I think the Koss 'phones sound awful. I have a pair. The Etys and/or Shures sound absolutely superior in every way. If the Koss are good enough for you, fab. Save the $275. Even in air, I hear a large difference and would rather spend the $$$ for the quality.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JT8D-217
Because the Etymotics sound good and the Koss product is terrible? I don't think I've EVER had a pair of headphones from Koss that sounded good. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but even I can hear the terrible sound those produce.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.