Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

is it okay to save DVDs rented from Netflix and watch them on planes later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is it okay to save DVDs rented from Netflix and watch them on planes later?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2007, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdjohns1
It's certainly a flippant argument to make, but I've heard a few people make the argument recently that CSS doesn't constitute an "effective" access control mechanism because a 16-year old kid from Norway was able to figure out how to circumvent it.

I can't imagine any judge buying it (aside from a judge with a slightly twisted sense of humor who had it in for the entertainment industry). That said, I do think that the use of CSS-stripping software for the purpose of interoperability (ie playing a DVD in Linux circa 2000-2001) should be explicitly permissible, subject to fair use doctrine.
I agree completely. The DMCA is bad law, written by lobbyists solely to protect special interests.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 6:43 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by nordmann
So why sell a product that will get someone in trouble?
Such products have been sold since the first commercially available tape deck and VCR rolled off the conveyorbelt.

Before computers, CD-R and DVD+/-R, bootlegging still existed but not at such a scale as it does now. "Back then" it was hard work and time consuming. These days it's a couple of mouse clicks and a coffee break. There is no such thing as "3rd generation copy" and crappy images anymore. Today the image/sound quality will be the same as the original.

I trust PTravel to know the law on Intellectual property but I can say that as someone who has produced intellectual property on CD and doing it now via camera, I am royally piffed off at those who have been bootlegging CDs with songs I wrote the words for or my website designs or my photography. And if they also make money on it - it's even worse.

/E
Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
The whole issue is a lot simpler if you do what I do....just read a book on the plane, and leave the movie viewing for home.

And by a book I mean a real book, not a photocopy of a book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.