laptop cooling stand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

laptop cooling stand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
laptop cooling stand

I searched the forum, thinking I learned about this here. No results...

I have a metal laptop stand that has two cooling fans under it, it plugs into the USB port on my computer and cools it (can't recall where I bought it, but thought it was a recommendation here). A friend was very interested in this item and I was going to buy her one.

Does anyone else have this or something similar that you use?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:55 am

Compusa has one version

I have seen them at CompUSA. Looked very interesting and the price is right at $20. I think they also have one with a built-in usb port that adds 3 extra usb port..... think it was about $30.

Was hoping to get one for a Christmas gift but I guess I will have to buy one my self.

The compusa one looked like plastic but I could be wrong.

Executive Notebook Cooling System

Manufacturer: CompUSA
Mfg Part #: NB-02
Product Number: 309760

$19.99

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...760&pfp=SEARCH
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This sounds like marketing babble and a waste of a good USB port. All laptops are designed to operate fine without additional cooling.

MisterNice
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by MisterNice
This sounds like marketing babble and a waste of a good USB port. All laptops are designed to operate fine without additional cooling.

MisterNice
You've obviously never owned an eMachines 5312. I could have popped popcorn with the heat that thing gave off, and it frequently shut down when it overheated.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know Fry's sells them. They are badly designed, though--the fans blow out the bottom. The reason one might need one is if the laptop is sitting on something not exactly smooth--the fans should work out the *SIDE*, not the bottom.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MisterNice

MisterNice
No babble at all. I've had several machines that worked much better after being placed on a cooler, especially systems that throttle the CPU based on the temperature (read: Transmeta). Some notebooks are not really designed to be operated all day with CPU intensive applications, and become unstable after time.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
Originally Posted by swag
You've obviously never owned an eMachines 5312. I could have popped popcorn with the heat that thing gave off, and it frequently shut down when it overheated.
Exactly why I was searching for this cooler, for the Emachines M6805, it's like a space heater.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:53 pm

You may want to try cleaning out the internals of the laptop with compressed air first. I've had a few friend's laptops succumb to accumulating dust - they'd be burning hot in certain spots on the underside. A little compressed air, and voila, it was as efficient at heat dissipation as new.

Of course if it was already hot brand new, it may be a design issue.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:37 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
More often than not it's a design issue. My XPS2 is fine while browsing or doing office tasks. Start playing a 3D accelerated game and it heats up and FAST. It's gotten so hot that the bottom of the laptop burned my fingers.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:10 pm

I picked up a Targus unit this weekend, but need to add some rubber pads so my computer sits on it better. The one I got is on sale this week at Best Buy for $20. There is also a model with 4 USB ports built in. The fans blow out the back of the base. So far I like it and the computer is cooler.

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U
Old Dec 29, 2005, 6:59 am

i suppose tthis is something used at your desk and not on the go, say on your lap.

if that's the case then this is what i've done.

take an empty tissue box, crumple it down on 1 end to form an incline and voilą you've got a laptop stand that helps air circulate and props up the keyboard area to an angle too.

but you can sure go fancy too if you want

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.