Search

IMHO the perfect MP3 player....

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

IMHO the perfect MP3 player....

The Archos Gmini400.

This puppy does Video (albeit on a smallish screen, but perfect for video clips), it does photos (and can copy them off the built in CF slot which can also use an adapter to copy off SD and other formats), it has a lightning fast file management system, is self upgradable, shows up as a 20Gb drive so doesn't require bloated software to load music and even lets you play Mophun games.

It lasts me around 11 hours on one charge, sound is awesome and currently sells with a $40 rebate making it the same price as an ipod photo and is about the same size as well.

The UI is perfect, it is blazing fast and has every feature I need without offering TOO many features. It also has an audio recorder and an optional remote control with FM receiver that will let the device record OFF the radio.

All in all IMHO at the moment the perfect device. On one device I have my favourite music, all my photos and about 40 music video clips. Who needs an ipod when you can get a Gmini!
Old May 8, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Question What about a flash-based player?

Ok, this is great for folks that want a micro-drive based MP3 player.
What about the flash-based crowd? I'm trying to narrow it down and I'll take recomendations. My criteria are: MP3 & WMA, 256MB - 1GB, exandable (preferably SD), FM tuner, playlist capable. So how about it? I know the techie-crowd has their $0.02.
Old May 9, 2005, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
That Archos sounds like a nifty piece of kit, but to be honest I think this walks all over it
Old May 9, 2005, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I concur that Archos makes great machines, its just that I find the Av4100 to be so much better!
Old May 9, 2005, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javajunkie
Ok, this is great for folks that want a micro-drive based MP3 player.
What about the flash-based crowd? I'm trying to narrow it down and I'll take recomendations. My criteria are: MP3 & WMA, 256MB - 1GB, exandable (preferably SD), FM tuner, playlist capable. So how about it? I know the techie-crowd has their $0.02.
This does EVERYTHING except take expandable storage (which is weird considering the manufacturer)...

http://www.sandisk.com/retail/dap.asp
Old May 11, 2005, 2:45 pm

Thumbs down Gmini 400 flawed

Originally Posted by ScottC
The Archos Gmini400.

This puppy does Video (albeit on a smallish screen, but perfect for video clips), it does photos (and can copy them off the built in CF slot which can also use an adapter to copy off SD and other formats), it has a lightning fast file management system, is self upgradable, shows up as a 20Gb drive so doesn't require bloated software to load music and even lets you play Mophun games.

It lasts me around 11 hours on one charge, sound is awesome and currently sells with a $40 rebate making it the same price as an ipod photo and is about the same size as well.

The UI is perfect, it is blazing fast and has every feature I need without offering TOO many features. It also has an audio recorder and an optional remote control with FM receiver that will let the device record OFF the radio.

All in all IMHO at the moment the perfect device. On one device I have my favourite music, all my photos and about 40 music video clips. Who needs an ipod when you can get a Gmini!
I'm currently shopping for a player, and the gmini 400 was a strong contender until I realized it did not play DRM protected WMA files like those provided by Napster or Yahoo Music store. According to press releases I've read, Archos was supposed to release a firmware update to address this problem but so far nothing. It would be the perfect device in my mind if they can get it "playsforsure" certified.
Old May 11, 2005, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wetkarma
I'm currently shopping for a player, and the gmini 400 was a strong contender until I realized it did not play DRM protected WMA files like those provided by Napster or Yahoo Music store. According to press releases I've read, Archos was supposed to release a firmware update to address this problem but so far nothing. It would be the perfect device in my mind if they can get it "playsforsure" certified.
I agree that with the sudden surge in DRM retailers PFS would be nice, but I don't buy my music there anyway, all my music is off my own ripped CD's.

The whole WMA/DRM/PFS thing is still pretty new, and so far only 3 or 4 vendors support it, so I hope Archos is working hard on it...
Old May 11, 2005, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I picked up a Hyundai MP3 player the last time I was in Hong Kong. It has 256MB of internal memory, but also has a slot for SD memory cards. This was the main reason I bought the player, as none of the other players on display at the electronic market had the expansion feature. I have a 1GB SD card in there now and am happy with the amount of music it holds.

The major drawback is power consumption. It uses a single AAA battery, and will last about 5 or 6 hours on an alkaline battery. When using a rechargable battery, that time is reduced to 2 to 3 hours, due to the discharge curve of the rechargables.

As for WMA and DRM, I'm personally not impressed, not because of the copyright protection, but for the rigidity of the format in it's current stage. Even when running on the same PC, I've had problems with players not recognizing it after moving the file from one directory or another, or in one case, after a system restore.
Old May 11, 2005, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Their AV480 looks like a sweet - if pricey - unit.
Old May 11, 2005, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Their AV480 looks like a sweet - if pricey - unit.
If you are gonna drop that much, then the PMA400 would be a better bet anyway... Browser, email, WiFi, keyboard/mouse interface etc...

To me that seems like the perfect on-the-road device, but I don't think that dropping $800 on it would go down well with my wife
Old May 11, 2005, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Sorry, too small. Perfect mp3 player needs to be >60gb, preferably 100gb.
Old May 11, 2005, 8:13 pm

Is there anywhere you can actually touch these things in a retail store? No way I'm gonna drop >>$300US on something like this without being able to poke it a bit.

That said the only downside I see here is lack of 3rd party support. If I buy an iPod I can get the necessary bits to control it from the head unit of my regular car stereo where the iPod pretends to be an CD changer. Doubt I'd ever be able to do that with this.
Old May 11, 2005, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bytepusher
Is there anywhere you can actually touch these things in a retail store? No way I'm gonna drop >>$300US on something like this without being able to poke it a bit.

That said the only downside I see here is lack of 3rd party support. If I buy an iPod I can get the necessary bits to control it from the head unit of my regular car stereo where the iPod pretends to be an CD changer. Doubt I'd ever be able to do that with this.
Compusa has a farily decent selection of them, BestBuy has a terrible selection and Fry's has hardly any out at all.

That said, you are correct about the CD changer interface, the ipod is pretty unique when it comes to that.
Old May 11, 2005, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Sorry, too small. Perfect mp3 player needs to be >60gb, preferably 100gb.
100gb is still the realm of 2.5" drives, so your dream player would be a bit on the chunky side.
Old May 11, 2005, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would have gotten the PMA however the models still have small HD's as opposed to the PVP's that go up to 100 GB's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.