SMTP & T-Mobile Wireless

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMTP & T-Mobile Wireless

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
SMTP & T-Mobile Wireless

Is there a SMTP server that can be used by T-mobile wireless users? If I try to use my company's SMTP server or my own ISP's I get a variety of errors...e.g. "can't relay", etc.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:53 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, HHonors, SPG.
On their European services they don't provide an outbound SMTP Incredibly annoying although I guess they've done to to avoid being used for outbound SPAM.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is the issue that they block traffic on port 25 or that the SMTP servers that you are trying to access won't relay mail from outside domains? Are you getting a timeout error or a "denied" error?

In either case you can subscribe to a mail service that will allow you to use their SMTP server for relay from any network as long as you authenticate with your username and password. Many of these services operate their SMTP servers on multiple ports so that you can use the service even if 25 is blocked by TMO.

The one that I use is FuseMail (http://www.fusemail.com). They support SMTP authentication and encryption and run their servers on ports 25, 2500, and 25000. I can send mail via fusemail from any network... and their webmail interface for incoming mail is very slick.

I'm not associated in any way... just a happy customer.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Try Authenticating on your SMTP Server

I've not had any problems accessing my company's or ISP's SMTP server via the T-Mobile wireless service by authenticating my username with password on my SMTP servers. I do this all the time in the US, Europe, Australia (via Telstara), etc, and other places where T-mobile has new arrangements with local service providers. As previous poster AndrewP has suggested you'll have to authenticate your username with password on *your* STMP server.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million
Is there a SMTP server that can be used by T-mobile wireless users? If I try to use my company's SMTP server or my own ISP's I get a variety of errors...e.g. "can't relay", etc.
Use the T-moblie SMTP server at myemail.t-mobile.com
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:05 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Yes - if you have trouble connecting, call support - they are pretty good regardless of the type of device.

I just did this with my Palm & versamail... checked all over the web, couldn't get it working. called, found out that authentication is a little non-intuitive & got connected. The myemail.tmobile.com is correct... but you need to use your telephone # as the userid, and your email account password with ":n" as the password, where "n" is the number the mailbox in sequence as entered on the web site. For example, if you have three mailboxes configured at tmobile (for use with your phone on tzones)... let's say "home", "work", and "gmail", "n" for work would be "2".

I have no idea how you would connect if you didn't configure any mailboxes online, and didn't ask. Suffice it to say that I did configure some accounts, and can now access them directly from my pda without using tmobile for imap/pop, and using tmobile for smtp outbound from the pda.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: 10-year UA 1K and 2 MM, then AA EXP, now BA Silver; next stop, Kayak
mbreuer's instructions are correct, but I'll add a little to answer the following.

Originally Posted by mbreuer
I have no idea how you would connect if you didn't configure any mailboxes online, and didn't ask.
You cannot do it: authentication is required to use the myemail.t-mobile.com SMTP server (it didn't used to be), and the way you set the password is via the mailboxes you configure by drilling down from http://www.t-mobile.com/tmobile_internet/myemail.asp. They use POP-before-SMTP authentication (retrieving from the configured POP server opens the SMTP server). Login authentication also works, but in this case the messages end up looking as though they've come from whatever address the POP server is associated with, rather than what you set in your mail agent. It's ridiculous that they cannot use standards in a standard way, and cannot document any of this on their website. I learned how to use it from www.howardforums.com, which is to cellphones as flyertalk is to flying (though the noise level is much higher).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.