Another screen saver for another good cause

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2005, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton
Another screen saver for another good cause

In the spirit of the thread about using idle computer time for a good cause:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350291

I thought I'd share another screen saver using distributed computing, available at http://www.climateprediction.net for free download. It automatically downloads and runs models which predict climate change over time.

In addition to promoting science, I think the visuals are quite striking. It shows a globe with colors gradually changing to indicate the temperature shifts.

I've also created a team called FlyerTalk which anyone can join. Once you've created an account and have the program up and running, go to:

My cp.net>BOINC cp.net

and click on Teams. A search for "flyertalk" will turn up the team page, where you can follow the links to join.

Note: Please don't fill this thread with complaints about how global warming isn't real or how environmentalists are evil people. This thread is meant simply to be a chance for folks to talk about and contribute to the team's effort on a large-scale computer experiment, not an argument about whether global climate change is real. There are plenty of other threads for that debate.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton
Just bumping this up, in case anyone's interested in this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.