Yahoo Desktop

I guess Yahoo! decided to give Google some competition

http://desktop.yahoo.com/
Old Jan 25, 05, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by jfe
I guess Yahoo! decided to give Google some competition

http://desktop.yahoo.com/
I don't see anything that would motivate me to switch over from the Google Desktop.
Old Jan 25, 05, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by winkydink
I don't see anything that would motivate me to switch over from the Google Desktop.

These are the features I see as better at this point:

1. Find as you type - displays results as you type, so you don't have to hit "search" to see results.

2. Preview results such as excel files, pdf files without actually having to open anything else, it previews in the same window.

Seems to support more file formats as well, but don't know for sure. I'll probably give it a try and see how fast it is vs. google's.
Old Jan 25, 05, 5:16 pm

Well I just tried it out, and it hasn't even finished indexing my whole computer but this is miles ahead of Google's product. The features mentioned above, and the speed is just as fast, if not faster because of the find-as-you-type feature.

Being able to preview PDF without opening acrobat, and other files such as excel, photos, etc is a huge plus. All get previewed within the app itself, in its own window. You can even preview such things as music files in the preview pane.

If you have the system tray icon running, you can easily call up the search by just hitting ctrl-ctrl in rapid succession.

Category searching is also outstanding. There are search boxes above every file attribute. For example, in email, there is a search field above the "To", "From", "Subject", "Folder" etc. So I can easily find all e-mails related to a given project, sent solely by a certain person, or certain date, etc, in any combination I wish to.

There's a lot more to it, but those are just the features that stand out to me at this point.

The application itself is a real application, that doesn't reside in a browser like Google's. That being said, it does take up more resources in terms of RAM and all that jazz. But, I think it's worth it, and i've already uninstalled GDS.

But also being Beta, it doesn't support some thing such as Mac/Linux yet, and Mozilla products. Hopefully they'll get that going in the future. Some have compared it to Copernic's DS, which was also rated very good. Many reviews so far have put Y!'s product easily ahead of Google's and MSN's.
Old Jan 25, 05, 5:39 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I am giving it a shot also, and it is cool, you can preview the files, and it takes you in the file for the term you are looking for

It indexes Outlook, and outlook express

The music and photo searching is nice too.

Search this Thread