Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unlocked phones?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP, Hyatt - Diamond, Hilton - Gold, Nobody to lots of companies!
Unlocked phones?

I've seen several threads on unlocked phones here.
Can you buy a regular phone from Cingular or T-Mobile and un-lock it afterwards?
If so, how is it done?
I travel frequently to the UK, but have Sprint service here in the US. I am thinking about changing providers becasue it stinks not being able to use my phone abroad. Any suggestions?
Thx ^
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
I am pretty sure that Cingular sells their 'world' phones (triband), unlocked. Not sure about T-mobile. There is a good website, like Flyertalk for cell phones, at http://howardforums.com/

They can answer all of your questions. I, too have Sprint, and don't like not being able to have a SIM card to change when I am in Europe. I bought a GSM phone, paid to have it unlocked (google gsm unlock codes for a variety of sites), and I buy prepay SIMs in whatever country I am in. Incoming calls are free, so if you don't need to do a lot of OUTBOUND calling, it works pretty well. Sprint will rent you a GSM phone when you go to Europe, but I have not tried this yet. Kind of a pain.

Samsung has just released a phone that is CDMA/GSM compatible, but so far, only Verizon has it, and it is a bit bulky. Not sure if/when Sprint plans on releasing it.

Sprint gives me the best domestic service, so I am sticking with them. If Cingular can catch up, I may consider them. I travel to Europe and Asia a lot, so I will continue to buy pre-paid cards until someone has a better deal. Skype is planning to do soemthing with mobile phones soon, so that will change everything!

FDuvall
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
T-Mobile's phones come locked but they will happily provide you with the unlock code if you ask once you have been a customer for either 1 or 3 months (can't recall which).
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
T-Mobile's phones come locked but they will happily provide you with the unlock code if you ask once you have been a customer for either 1 or 3 months (can't recall which).
3 months, no outstanding bills and no previous unlock request in the past 6 months.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:34 pm

Cingular used to un-lock world phones from the factory but that has since changed.

Now all the Cingular world comes locked to the Cingular network. They will however like T-Mobile unlock your phone once you havd had service with them for a bit.

Another option is to buy an unbranded/unlocked phone from a 3 party and then just buy service with a GSM provider if you wish.

I bought my lastest phone from Costco.com and it came unlocked and unbranded.

Dan
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP, Hyatt - Diamond, Hilton - Gold, Nobody to lots of companies!
Costco phone

What phone did you get from Costco?
I'm a member there and might pick one up.
How did you know the Costco phone was unlocked?

Originally Posted by dan1431
Cingular used to un-lock world phones from the factory but that has since changed.

Now all the Cingular world comes locked to the Cingular network. They will however like T-Mobile unlock your phone once you havd had service with them for a bit.

Another option is to buy an unbranded/unlocked phone from a 3 party and then just buy service with a GSM provider if you wish.

I bought my lastest phone from Costco.com and it came unlocked and unbranded.

Dan
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:22 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
If you want an unlocked phone, your best bet would be through ebay. I was recently in Costa Rica and had a Sharp GX32 (that I bought in HKG), and was mugged. I was so upset because that was a quad band phone and a nice one! I had service with ATT, but had to switch to Cingular because of the merger. I called for the unlock code....was given the unlock code, and later contacted by a Cingular rep that ATT customers weren't allowed to unlock their phones!!! What a bunch of bu-- s---!!!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Money, money, money!

Seems like Cingular want's that pot o' gold coming from those OUTRAGEOUS International rates!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 3:28 pm

A phone that is simple unlocked might come branded by one cell phone company with their images and what they want their customers to have the ability to preform.

For example, Cingular prevents their customers from using manual network selection.

Therefor an unbranded phone comes OEM from the factory without the company messing with the phone first.

Here is the link to costco, Costco GSM Phones

They are only available at costco.com

Dan
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
unlocked cell phone

Check www,telestial.com they sell all unlocked phones. You can buy a phone with a gobal sim. They have different packages. I bought mine from there had no problems. I travel every month the FSU. I stay in a country for more than a week I buy a local sim. it is so cheap. Let me say I have no vested interest in this company or care if you buy from them or not. I just have had good luck with them. If you are traveling around europe look at the HOP golbal sim card. It is cheaper than hotel phones. United Mobile is very expensive in my book. just look for yourself, and make up your own mind. ^
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by powerlifter
Check www,telestial.com they sell all unlocked phones. You can buy a phone with a gobal sim. They have different packages. I bought mine from there had no problems. I travel every month the FSU. I stay in a country for more than a week I buy a local sim. it is so cheap. Let me say I have no vested interest in this company or care if you buy from them or not. I just have had good luck with them. If you are traveling around europe look at the HOP golbal sim card. It is cheaper than hotel phones. United Mobile is very expensive in my book. just look for yourself, and make up your own mind. ^
Good lord, before you buy anything there do some comparison shopping:

Nokia 6100:
Telestial price: $299
MobileBee.com Price: $174.9
Expansys.com Price: $155.95

Motorola V3
Telestial Price: $795
MobileBee.com Price: $649.99
Expansys.com Price: $659.95

I didnt compare more but but you certainly should before you buy. Also, several of the phones they are advertising at Telestial have to the best of my knowledge been discontinued for well over a year (Nokia 6310i and SE-T68 for example). Interestingly the Nokia 6310i appears to be a good buy at Telestial compared to other prices for that phone. A few years ago it was THE business persons international phone in Europe. They are $299 at Telestial. A year ago they were about $220 on Expansys. Now however, since they are still in demand and not in production, Expansys is selling used ones, factory reconditioned by Nokia for $429.95. I paid $120 for mine for signing a 1 year TMobile contract in the spring of 2003. They are good phones but more than a little dated.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by iuprecise
How did you know the Costco phone was unlocked?
The phones displayed on the Costco website say UNLOCKED in capital letters.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:01 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
Originally Posted by dan1431

For example, Cingular prevents their customers from using manual network selection.

Therefor an unbranded phone comes OEM from the factory without the company messing with the phone first.
Actually, they prevent the network selection in the SIM - if you have an unlocked phone and put a Cingular SIM in, it'll restrict network selection. Drop in a T-Mobile SIM, and you're set.

However, some phones don't necessarily "obey" the SIM's restriction - specifically the Motorola vXXX (v400, v600, v551, Razr v3, etc.) family. They can have the restriction removed by doing a little editing (which is accomplished with a little software and a USB cable).
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:58 pm

Programs: "I COME FROM Des Moines. Somebody had to." -- Bill Bryson
If you are going to switch carriers, I recently pruchased a Nokia 6230 tri-band from Cingular (~$149). The phone was locked. I spent $2.95 at Mobileliberation and unlocked the phone as soon as I got home. It's great phone, not a bad price (you may get it cheaper as a new subscriber).

I like the Nokia's because they can be unlocked with just a code and no cables (the one's I've had).

FYI, the Nokia 6230 is $299 unlocked at Costco.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by UAVirgin
If you are going to switch carriers, I recently pruchased a Nokia 6230 tri-band from Cingular (~$149). The phone was locked. I spent $2.95 at Mobileliberation and unlocked the phone as soon as I got home. It's great phone, not a bad price (you may get it cheaper as a new subscriber).

I like the Nokia's because they can be unlocked with just a code and no cables (the one's I've had).

FYI, the Nokia 6230 is $299 unlocked at Costco.
But the 6230 doesn't do 900mhz GSM! Why Nokia would put 850mhz into a phone but not 900mhz is beyond me but none of their phones seem to do both. 900mhz is the non-US world standard for GSM. Yes, there are 1800mhz systems out there too. Strangely, I recently discoverd that Ecuador is 850mhz only(!).

If you're an AT&T/Cingular customer in the US and don't go abroad very often then this might be a good choice since the AT&T GSM network is on 850mhz. Otherwise I'd steer clear of this model.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jan 23, 2005 at 8:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.