Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring music to my MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2004, 5:26 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Transferring music to my MP3 player

Last year sometime I copied over a few CDs to my hard drive and now I am trying to copy the songs to my new MP3 player. I have tried using Windows Media Player, Real Player, etc and it keeps telling me I need a license to play these songs. How can I skirt the issue?

I need techie help!

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2004, 5:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
An earlier version of Windows Media Player was set to include DRM (Licensing) by default - you had to know to turn it off. The new version allows DRM on ripped CD tunes but it is off by default.

If nothing else works, you should be able to burn the songs to a CD-RW (in "CD music" format) and re-rip then with DRM turned off. Then you'll be able to transfer the new songs to your player.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver

Last edited by scruffy; Feb 27, 2005 at 10:31 pm
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scruffy
Assuming you have a Windows system, you can use freeware dBpowerAMP Music Converter http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm to convert the audio files to mp3. Then you just copy the mp3 files into your mp3 player.
Good tip, but won't work if they are licensed, no audio conversion program will be able to simply convert protected content.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:42 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ScottC
Good tip, but won't work if they are licensed, no audio conversion program will be able to simply convert protected content.
tried using the solution but still having problem with protected content. I guess I will just see about getting the music again from a friend.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:45 pm

Rip your own CDs. Don't use Windows/Microsoft anything to rip it. (I use CDEX, lots of people use something called Exact Audio Copy. There's lots of other stuff out there too. I don't know if dbPowerAmp rips or not, but it's another very good program.)

Music that you buy from the internet is not really purchased .. it's more like it's leased. You are usually restricted in what you can do with it.

-David
Old Dec 19, 2004, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA Alluminum =-D
iTunes works for me.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:49 am

itunes isn't a bad way to go. It does have options for quality settings, so use them. But it doesn't have all the options if you care.

Also, the itunes lossless format is ok, but it isn't as widely supported as flac. I use flac for lossless ripping as an external decoder with CDEX. That way I can use something else to convert the files to MP3 or whatever when I want to put them on the ipod or on an MP3 CD or whatever. Since the files are lossless, I can chose the compression ratio I want for that specific task. flac has a winamp plug-in too.

-David
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
When using itunes you have to pay to download each song, are there any free programs that let you download music and then transfer it easily to your ipod? or are those not allowed any more?
Old Dec 25, 2004, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
When using itunes you have to pay to download each song, are there any free programs that let you download music and then transfer it easily to your ipod? or are those not allowed any more?
Yes, with iTunes you pay for each song (or album). "free" programs that let you downloads "for free" are illegal when it comes to copyrighted music.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold
This won't really help the original poster, but I think that the best ripper/converter/player is by far JetAudio.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Once you have downloaded songs on to the iPod, how do you delete them if you dont want them anymore?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I use Roxio Media Creator to transfer from CD to MP3, and WMP to transfer to my Pocket PC PDA. I have not encountered any problems.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Any recent suggestions to convert music CDs into mp3s?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Once you have downloaded songs on to the iPod, how do you delete them if you dont want them anymore?

Thanks!
Delete them from the PC that you connect the iPod to and then sync your songs again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.