Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2004, 5:45 pm

comparison: sony nc20s vs Bose QC2

Originally Posted by PTravel
I wouldn't fly without them. I started with Sony MDR-20NC cancellers, moved to the Bose QC 1 when I got an MP3 player that was incompatible with the Sonys. After a couple of years of the QC 1s, I gave them to my wife and bought the newer the Bose Quiet Comfort 2.

They are wonderful -- comfortable, effective at noise cancelling, with good sound quality. If someone gave me a pair as a gift I'd be thrilled.
Hi,

I have the Sonys right now and have been thinking about getting the Bose, how do they compare?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmaylott
Hi,

I have the Sonys right now and have been thinking about getting the Bose, how do they compare?
I've always thought the Sonys had a slightly better high-end, as well as better definition than the QC 1s. They probably still edge out the QC 2s for high-end, but the definition is the same, and the QC 2s have wonderful bass. I also think the QC 2s are more comfortable -- at then end of 10-hour flight with the Sonys, my ears would feel flattened and painful. This doesn't happen with the QC2s.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:41 am

Programs: Too Many
I puchased a set of the QC2's three weeks ago and have used them on 4 west coast flights (from IAH)--very disappointed. What I was hoping for was a set that can drown out conversations and noise (which they do if you have music on). But for pure noise cancelation they don't work at all (of course better than nothing, but I can hear people talking and coughing in the background). I'm returning them today and going with the E6's. While I know they will not drown out the talking either (without music) I can continue to use my .50 cent earplugs for that, and use the $95 (at discount) E6's. Will report back, but $200 savings is key here, and I can sleep with the E6's.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Sorry to hear that you selected the wrong headphones for your use. A little research on the Bose would have told you they dont block conversations. They arent designed to do that and dont claim that they do to the best of my knowledge. They block various relatively constant frequency background noise, which is what they are designed to do, quite effectively; while letting you still hear conversations. Earplugs of course block everything. My wife has some midrange Shures which she likes a lot but I have trouble with something set that deeply in my ear,. First time I tried I ended up at the doctors a couple days later and was on various meds for my ears for a week, although I may give it one more chance. Its possible it just irritated a preexisting condition.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:14 am

Sorry to hear about your doc visit--it's key to read the instructions before using the ER6's. But MUCH better drowning of sound than the QC2's. I did research QC2's, but you really have to try them to understand that they are worthless in drowning out conversations (at least as compared to .50 cent earplugs. Best of luck.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I think I used them correctly. It was one ear that was a problem. The doctor said there was a lot of scar tissue deep in the ear and around that drum, probably from a childhood infection/injury. It might be that due to that and the resulting shape of the ear canal I just cant wear them in that ear, which of course means not at all. I will give them another shot though. The main issue I have with the Bose is the size. I would like something that I can fit in my shirt pocket, at least for longer trips. I think you will enjoy the Shures or Etymotics, my wifes Shures do sound wonderful.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 9:29 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think I used them correctly. It was one ear that was a problem. The doctor said there was a lot of scar tissue deep in the ear and around that drum, probably from a childhood infection/injury. It might be that due to that and the resulting shape of the ear canal I just cant wear them in that ear, which of course means not at all. I will give them another shot though. The main issue I have with the Bose is the size. I would like something that I can fit in my shirt pocket, at least for longer trips. I think you will enjoy the Shures or Etymotics, my wifes Shures do sound wonderful.
You might want to go to your local audiologist and have custom molds done of your ears that will fit on the Shure earphones. During my teenage years I had frostbite disfigure one of my ear canals a bit, and the standard foam inserts never worked properly in that ear, only custom ones. The price is not that bad, and you get a perfect fit and the ultimate in sound isolation.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:33 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by texex91
I puchased a set of the QC2's three weeks ago and have used them on 4 west coast flights (from IAH)--very disappointed. What I was hoping for was a set that can drown out conversations and noise (which they do if you have music on). But for pure noise cancelation they don't work at all (of course better than nothing, but I can hear people talking and coughing in the background). I'm returning them today and going with the E6's. While I know they will not drown out the talking either (without music) I can continue to use my .50 cent earplugs for that, and use the $95 (at discount) E6's. Will report back, but $200 savings is key here, and I can sleep with the E6's.

UPDATE -

Got the Etymotic ER6's--they are terrible. Returning them ASAP and going to try the Shures. There is almost zero bass in these things and the others are right--very uncomfortable
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:39 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
get the new sonys

UPDATE -

Got the Etymotic ER6's--they are terrible. Returning them ASAP and going to try the Shures. There is almost zero bass in these things and the others are right--very uncomfortable

i have now both the new sony nc 11A and the bigger one .

both working excellent.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:35 am

Programs: UA General Member
UPDATE -

You might be happier with the fit, but you probably won't be happier with the bass. My e5s reproduce bass just fine, it just doesn't "feel" like bass the way it does with a pair of cans. You either get used to it or you don't. If you don't you probably will not be happy with any in-the-ear phone.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UK rip off - any suggestions?

All decided on buying some Bose headphones I checked out Bose.com
To find out that they cost £170 in the US and £270 in the UK (that's a $180 difference folks!).
Bose won't seem to let me buy the cans from their website at the US price, does anybody have a suggestion as to a trustworthy vendor who will? I'm hoping to get them at the $299 price plus any shipping costs.
The free CD player would be a nice bonus.
Cheers!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
crutchfield

Originally Posted by LapLap
All decided on buying some Bose headphones I checked out Bose.com
To find out that they cost £170 in the US and £270 in the UK (that's a $180 difference folks!).
Bose won't seem to let me buy the cans from their website at the US price, does anybody have a suggestion as to a trustworthy vendor who will? I'm hoping to get them at the $299 price plus any shipping costs.
The free CD player would be a nice bonus.
Cheers!

try crutchfield.com, they also give a 20$ off first order, and I have had stuff deliverd to Germany before, don't know why UK is differant
Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
I just wanted to say a quick thanks to all who posted about the Bose QC2s. I used to use the Sony noise cancelling ear bud set-up. I just didn't like the earbuds.

I finally got off my a** and bought the Bose QC2s and used them on my recent HNL-EWR-HNL trip. I was skeptical and not expecting anything. I was definitely wrong. I loved listening to channel 9 without the awful humming background noise. I felt rested and less jet lagged after using the headphones. They are GREAT!!

Thanks so much!! TF
Old Nov 19, 2004, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA PA, *S (UA)
Originally Posted by winkydink
You might be happier with the fit, but you probably won't be happier with the bass. My e5s reproduce bass just fine, it just doesn't "feel" like bass the way it does with a pair of cans. You either get used to it or you don't. If you don't you probably will not be happy with any in-the-ear phone.
I agree with that. Also, it takes a while to get used to wearing the in-the-ear type of phone and to learn how to insert and position it in the ear and that makes a big difference in the sound quality you get from them. When you get a good seal, the bass is greatly enhanced and there are some tricks to that.

I have the Shure E3c's and I was pretty disappointed with the sound when I first tried them and found them to be somewhat uncomfortable as well. Took me a couple of days to figure out how to insert (and remove) them and once I got that right it made a big difference in the sound quality. Still not sure how comfortable they would be for many hours as I haven't worn them yet for more than 2 hours at a crack, but I do seem to be getting more and more used to how they feel. Will be trying them out on a flight next week.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 6:35 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
I went to crutchfield, got the QC2 for 299, free ship overseas, and free cd player. Happy with the QC2, happy with the free cd player, but happiest with the no hassel free shipping overseas.

I've tried a few in the past and for me the QC2 are the best. The absolute cheapest place to get these (from what I hear) are from the US military shops on bases. So if you are overseas near a military base see if you can't find someone to pick them up for you.

I kept thinking the money was too expensive for headphones but after only two trans pacific flights with them I did feel more relaxed and rested then before and to me, is already worth the money spent. It was just initially getting over the money issue and buying them that took me a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.