Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell Phones in Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:37 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by nanohead
If AA start cell phones in flight, I will fill my ears with Plaster of Paris, or switch to UA. I cannot stand hearing people talk about idiotic things from their meaningless lives. I never torture people with my meaningless life, why should I listen to their problems.

Being in the air is the only time I have peace and quiet..... I look forward to itv
Two things: There will be a massive market for noise cancelling headphones if cell phone use is allowed in flight. And, if we get to the point that some airlines allow phones to be used in flight, and some don't, I will prefer the ones that don't. And the airlines that offer free noise cancelling headphones will trump the ones that don't. But, really, imagine listening to 129 self important yupsters yammering on their cell phones for four hours during a flight....do we really need that?
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:20 am

http://www.aa.com/content/amrcorp/pr...wireless.jhtml
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
Originally Posted by nanohead
I cannot stand hearing people talk about idiotic things from their meaningless lives. I never torture people with my meaningless life, why should I listen to their problems.

Obviously there are some underlying issues.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:21 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bstndance
Obviously there are some underlying issues.
Naw, sounds pretty much on the money to me. I also wouldn't want to listen to six hours of this kind of drivel. And I don't have any issues. Just ask my therapist...

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:46 pm

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
Only at certain times

How about if there was designated time periods during the flight that you can use a cell phone? i.e. on the hour for 10 minutes, after 1 hour into the flight for 15 minutes, 1 hour before landing etc. etc. This way I/we will not be on the phone the whole time inflight just a few designated times.
Just my $.02
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xTWAnowAAer
How about if there was designated time periods during the flight that you can use a cell phone? i.e. on the hour for 10 minutes, after 1 hour into the flight for 15 minutes, 1 hour before landing etc. etc. This way I/we will not be on the phone the whole time inflight just a few designated times.
Just my $.02
It's a nice idea, but it will be hard to enforce. FAs coming to tell people that the "designated cell use time is now over, please hang up". Or that it's in the middle of the hour, and hot allowed at all.

The only way that this would work is to turn off the little mini-cells that they will be using during the non-allowed times. Then, there will be people pissed off about their call suddenly terminating.

I like it, but many will probably object (perhaps not too many here, but among the customer base) that, if it can be made available at all, why not keep it on all the time.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Daze
But, really, imagine listening to 129 self important yupsters yammering on their cell phones for four hours during a flight....do we really need that?
I completely agree. Now MY calls on the other hand are VERY important and simply can't wait until I reach the ground.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Data/SMS-only service might be good

Originally Posted by bollar
I'm all in favor of banning the talking, but think of having BlackBerry inflight.... Sweet!
I agree, Blackberry service on a flight would be great. But it wouldn't be worth having to listen to all of those ring tones and shouting over the ambient noise. I wonder if the mini-cell in the airplane can be set up to block voice calls, but allow data and SMS text messages through. That might even encourage more Americans to use text messaging.

Of course, it would just be a matter of time before someone uses the data service to set up a voice-over-IP call through a laptop computer.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
from yesterday's dallas morning news

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/fea/...hone.f04f.html

Cellphones have been restricted in the air for two main reasons: Phone signals may interfere with a plane's navigational equipment, and the calls could wreak havoc on regular wireless networks, which weren't designed for in-flight use. A cellphone used while airborne has a much greater transmitting range than one on the ground.

But officials say they're confident they have interference problems licked.

"There's no danger whatsoever to the aircraft," Qualcomm's Dr. Jacobs said.

To deal with the disruption issue, the airline installed a "picocell" device in the plane that directs call traffic to and from satellites, bypassing cell towers on the ground.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Yes, hello?
Hello?!
Oh, no! I'm sorry, I can hardly hear you -
Actually, that's a JET ENGINE that's making all that noise!
Where am I?
WHERE AM I?
Dallas! Or, 35,000 feet above Dallas!
No! It's no a problem, we'll just have to talk louder!
What?
WHAT!?
Oh... I was having trouble hearing you.
Yeah, that Mexican food did catch up with me... but its not like anybody here knows that I'm the "phantom pharter"
So yeah.... I'm not over Dallas anymore!
Well, when you're going 1612 MPH in a comfy Embraer 140 Luxury Jet...
I'm a fast moving kinda guy.
Yeah I agree about how cool all thi-
Hey, Hold on, I gotta another call....
Yes, hello?
Hello?!
Oh hi mom! No! I'm sorry, I can hardly hear you -
Actually, that's a JET ENGINE that's making all that noise!
Where am I?
WHERE AM I?
Dallas! Or, 35,000 feet above Dallas!
No! It's no a problem, we'll just have to talk louder!
Old Jul 17, 2004, 7:50 am

Hopefully they will do what they do on the Tokyo subway - make voice calls and ringtones illegal. You are only allowed to play games, use txt messages or use mobile internet else you get a hefty fine.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by grouse
AM/FM radio receivers are the nasty ones and no one allows them AFAIK.
US Airways does not expressly prohibit AM/FM radios, though some of its affiliated Express carriers do. I occasionally turn on my Walkman at 35,000 feet and FM reception is great when sitting by a window...being so high up, there's a station audible on nearly every frequency.

Receivers shouldn't harm any of the communications between ground and flight deck, even though the broadcast FM band is only a few megahertz below the ATC frequencies. To the best of my limited knowledge, it's only devices that transmit (such as walkie-talkies and cell phones) that can cause trouble.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 1:28 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Receivers shouldn't harm any of the communications between ground and flight deck, even though the broadcast FM band is only a few megahertz below the ATC frequencies. To the best of my limited knowledge, it's only devices that transmit (such as walkie-talkies and cell phones) that can cause trouble.
Actually, receivers do transmit, but definitely not at power levels of 'real' transmitters such as mobile phones.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 3:54 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by KVS
Actually, receivers do transmit, but definitely not at power levels of 'real' transmitters such as mobile phones.
The problem with FM radio receivers is that while the power output is not nearly as high as your mobile phone transmitter, their local oscillators generate interference in the VOR navigation bands. I don't believe the bands used by mobile phones have a similar problem.

I am shocked that U.S. Airways allows FM radio receivers (I guess not during takeoff and landing which is most important). Strangely they do not allow TV receivers which would tune to close-by frequencies.
Old Jul 18, 2004, 8:34 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem with FM radio receivers is that while the power output is not nearly as high as your mobile phone transmitter, their local oscillators generate interference in the VOR navigation bands.
You mean modern A/C still use VOR/DME?

I don't believe the bands used by mobile phones have a similar problem.
Have you tried holding a transmitting GSM mobile phone close to a TV/FM receiver?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.