Recommend Me a Digital Music Player

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue

Now I have a laptop that actually supports USB2 (and firewire), its time to think about replacing my old Samsung Yepp MP3 player so I'd like to ask you all what you might recommend. My requirements are:

i) Must actually be available to buy (yes I am that fussy)
ii) Must have a hard disk though for my purposes it doesn't necessarily have to have a very high capacity
iii) Reasonable battery life

To be honest, having played with iTunes for Windows and having spent a few minutes with an iPod, I'm already pretty much sold on the Apple device though it is quite expensive for what it does (and the mini version I crave is lacking something in the availability to buy department here in the UK). Other than price (and availability of the model I want), are there any other drawbacks to the Apple?

I also notice that devices by iRiver (a company I've never heard of) seem to be getting pretty good reviews.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Internaut
Now I have a laptop that actually supports USB2 (and firewire), its time to think about replacing my old Samsung Yepp MP3 player so I'd like to ask you all what you might recommend. My requirements are:

i) Must actually be available to buy (yes I am that fussy)
ii) Must have a hard disk though for my purposes it doesn't necessarily have to have a very high capacity
iii) Reasonable battery life

To be honest, having played with iTunes for Windows and having spent a few minutes with an iPod, I'm already pretty much sold on the Apple device though it is quite expensive for what it does (and the mini version I crave is lacking something in the availability to buy department here in the UK). Other than price (and availability of the model I want), are there any other drawbacks to the Apple?

I also notice that devices by iRiver (a company I've never heard of) seem to be getting pretty good reviews.
I have an iRiver H120 (iHP-120), and it suits my needs quite nicely. 16 hour battery life, 20GB storage, fast transfers with USB2, support for WMA, MP3 and Ogg Vorbis music formats. It doesn't handle DRM (Digital Rights Management) music files, though, so if you want seamless integration with on-line music purchasing services, this unit might not be for you.

I especially like the fact that I don't need additional software to simply drag and drop files onto it. It also has a record function (built-in and included lavalier microphone) plus a built-in FM tuner that can be used either in the US or Europe. And when it's chilly out, the included remote allows me to fully control the player without having to haul it out of it's nice warm pocket
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I'd stay away from the overrated Apple ipod players, they are more design than praticality. Go for the iRiver players, the Dell Jukebox or the Rio Karma.

IMHO...
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Now the Dellpod is something I hadn't even considered! Over to the Dell website for me it is then.

Edited to add: Dell are not yet selling their product in Europe

Last edited by Internaut; Jun 13, 2004 at 12:11 pm
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Internaut
Now the Dellpod is something I hadn't even considered! Over to the Dell website for me it is then.

Edited to add: Dell are not yet selling their product in Europe
Question of finding someone in the US and having it shipped there.

They also usually have a decent selection fo refurbished dellpods for between $50 and $100 off
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I just bought a Philips HDD120. Sexier than an iPod, awesome display, same size, records, 16-hours battery life, and it can be bought for around 180EUR in the US right now.

The only downside is that it requires what may be the worst piece of software ever written to sync music to it. Luckily, the protocol for doing so only takes about two minutes to figure out and there are already some good free/open-source replacements on the horizon.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 1:34 pm

Whatever you decide, I would:

- look closely at the warranty. Make sure it is a length that you are comfortable with. I generally tell people to stay away from any electronic device that only offers a 90 day warranty.

- think carefully before choosing a device with built-in, non-replaceable rechargable batteries. First, whatever warranty the device offers usually does not apply to these batteries. Second, if you plan to be a heavy user, you may end up using up the batteries in a shorter period of time than normal, which means sending in the device for replacment batteries (if they even offer this) at whatever fee the manufcaturer sets, or getting a new unit.

My .02
Old Jun 13, 2004, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I second the i-river, the only downside being that the 40GB version is a bit too thick.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Consider using a PDA

I have used my Sony CLIE PDA very successfully for listening to tunes while travelling, though ones from my CDs not ones I've downloaded (I've not gotten into downloading yet). While listening, battery lasted almost the entire train trip from mid-Switzerland to Salzberg last summer. Also combines 2 devices in one. Uses memory sticks for storage, so easy to expand as needed and to organize. Sound quality is very good.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by businesstraveler
Whatever you decide, I would:

- look closely at the warranty. Make sure it is a length that you are comfortable with. I generally tell people to stay away from any electronic device that only offers a 90 day warranty.

- think carefully before choosing a device with built-in, non-replaceable rechargable batteries. First, whatever warranty the device offers usually does not apply to these batteries. Second, if you plan to be a heavy user, you may end up using up the batteries in a shorter period of time than normal, which means sending in the device for replacment batteries (if they even offer this) at whatever fee the manufcaturer sets, or getting a new unit.

My .02
On the iRiver's non-replaceable battery: This was a concern of mine when I looked at players 6 months ago. However, the iRiver uses a Li-Poly battery that is good for 3000 recharges before it drops to 80% capacity (still 12 hours, or 50% better than the iPod!). With my current usage, it should last until I retire

That said, there are now replacement batteries available for the unit (approximately US$50), and iRiver has stated that they will cover battery replacement under the factory warranty.

The size and feature set of the player far outweighed the battery issue for me.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did all the research and the best features/ bang for buck is the iRiver. The Creative has a huge memory, but not so many features and is a bit large. The Philips is not too bad, but I am hearing a lot about a software bug. The Samsung is crap. The Dell is okay, and the iPod although quite sexy is overpriced compared to everything else. Apple had a first mover advantage which tehy've kept up for quite awhile, the others are now catching up and offering better deals.

If money is not an option, nor memory size, the mini iPod is sexy, but handicapped.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRRed
I have used my Sony CLIE PDA very successfully for listening to tunes while travelling, though ones from my CDs not ones I've downloaded (I've not gotten into downloading yet). While listening, battery lasted almost the entire train trip from mid-Switzerland to Salzberg last summer. Also combines 2 devices in one. Uses memory sticks for storage, so easy to expand as needed and to organize. Sound quality is very good.
You can buy a 40Gb player for less than a 512Mb memorystick....

The PDA option is one I tried but gave up on, battery life sucks (you won't make a long haul flight with one) and there are no wired remotes for them...
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I sure love my Ipod. The others may be better bang for the buck (I wouldn't know), but I can attest that the Ipod rocks.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have a 20 gig Dellpod and an IPOD mini. I use the IPOD on a Mac, not a PC although I am guessing it isnt much different it Itunes works on your PC. In my opinion comparing the software for the IPOD with the software for a Dellpod is a bit like comparing a seat in international first class with a middle seat in coach. Yea, it cost more. The IPOD is just vastly superior in terms of software in my opinion. The fact that it is cooler helps too. Im going to put my Dellpod in my car and use it as a music player there. It has been sitting in my office. My IPOD mini is in my briefcase and always with me.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A tip for anyone that hates iTunes, use the J.River music center, MUCH better IMHO and no more of the stupid syncing that tells YOU what it will put on your player, much more flexible, and only $25.

www.musicex.com

(it's also a Tivo home media option server!!!!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.