Community
Wiki Posts
Search

locking of phones & sim cards - questions

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2004, 12:58 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post locking of phones & sim cards - questions

OK... so I know that mobile phones can be locked, as in that they can be programmed so as to only work with SIM cards from one cellular provider.

Now, is it possible to lock SIM cards also...? What I mean is, can there be a SIM card that works only on selected GSM phones (ie. those sold by a selected cellular provider?)...?!!???

Im thinking of buying a tri-band GSM phone here in Asia and want to use it with a new provider in Argentina but Im not getting any straight response from the marketing doode Im in contact with. He of course wants me to buy the phone from them...
Old May 27, 2004, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I have never heard of a sim card that is locked to a phone. It is possible to put a sim change sim in a phone so it needs a code when the sim is changed, but I've never seen an operator do that.

The majorty of phones sold in Asia are unlocked. Should you come across a locked phone then they are almost always capable of being unlocked, usually through a phone service firm.

Phones are locked to a sim by using the network code, each operator has a network code, like 201-10. Then the operator also has a "subset", so the network can lock a phone to say 201-10 subset 3, in this case the network subset 3 could be prepaid.

This way an operator can lock phones sold for paid subscribers and prepaid subscribers.

The easiest way to check if a phone is locked is of course to just put a foreign sim in it.

There are also codes available to check it.
Old May 27, 2004, 5:09 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Gracias Scotty..... I am clear to buy then... ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.