Search

Will AT&T unlock my GSM phone?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2004, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Will AT&T unlock my GSM phone?

I have had it for 6 months.

How do I do this?

How about if I buy a new phone for my wife...will they do this on a new phone?

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2004, 2:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If they don't there are certainly lots of other places that will, depending on the phone. Google unlock then your model number for places.

Howardforums also have much unlocking discussions.
Old May 7, 2004, 2:32 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
I doubt it, unless you happened to have a 6-month contract and it is now over, which is unlikely.

Remember, you got the phone at a heavily-subsidized price because by having it you guarenteed AT&T a certain amount of business.

If you want to take the phone overseas, do you really want to only have a phone-number based in said country? If so, callers to you (from the USA) will have to pay for an overseas call.

What I have done in the past is to buy a phone in the country that I am going to. Prepaid phones are far more common and then I have both a US and a local number to give out. Also, the roaming rates for AT&T in Western Europe are not too bad.

See:

http://www.operationgadget.com/2004/...portance_.html

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0205/mobilephones.htm

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/0207/phone.htm

for some ideas.
Old May 7, 2004, 4:36 pm

I am an ATT customer for 7 years and they still won't unlock my phone. I just took my SE T68i to some place called "Mobile Kangaroo" and they unlocked it for $20.

If you have a Nokia, you can unlock it yourself for free. Just Google for Nokia DCT4 on the web and you'll find some tools.
Old May 7, 2004, 5:57 pm

Programs: (¯`'•.¸Hyatt Globalist * AA Gold * Delta Silver * Marriott Platinum * Hilton Gold¸.•'´¯)
FYI, T-Mobile will provide you with a SIM unlock code free of charge after 6 months of service.
Old May 7, 2004, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Cingular is in theory supposed to reissue SIM's into the first year of the merger with ATTWS (if nothing holds it up). There is *NO* way a standard Cingular SIM will work with ATTWS locked handsets... I doubt Cingular will want to inventory SIM's for ex-ATTWS and pure Cingular customers for very long. So folks, I'm sure those ATTWS GSM handsets will find a way to get unlocked by virtue of Cingular having to unlock them... Too bad Cingular won't unlock there own handsets these days!
Old May 7, 2004, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Exclamation

I bought a Motorola MXp200. I had to unblock it (from AT&T) then I had to do a SIM unlock. Got the program (unblock) and unlock codes from eBay. Total cost about $35. Both worked perfectly and now I can use with any SIM card in the world. Motorola and AT&T were not happy or friendly about it at all since Moto has a contract to block them to the AT&T network. I seriously doubt Cingular will totally unblock them. It will be easy for them to change over the SIM codes.
Old May 7, 2004, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which brand/model?

For many devices the software to generate to unlock codes is simply available online.
Old May 7, 2004, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
I am an ATT customer for 7 years and they still won't unlock my phone. I just took my SE T68i to some place called "Mobile Kangaroo" and they unlocked it for $20.

If you have a Nokia, you can unlock it yourself for free. Just Google for Nokia DCT4 on the web and you'll find some tools.
Another example to show that ATT is by far the worse Telecom company in the history of mankind.
My t-mobile phone was unlocked one month after I signed up with them.
mike
Old May 7, 2004, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by dragonmp11a10
FYI, T-Mobile will provide you with a SIM unlock code free of charge after 6 months of service.
Voicestream, which T-Mobile bought a few years ago, provided me with an unlocked phone right off the bat in 1999. Very nice of them, although they have good enough international service (I just txt my friends, rarely use it for voice calls overseas), that I've just stuck with my original SIM, now in its 4th phone.

The current phone that I have (ericsson t-68m), I bought from the amazon.com website, just tossed in the card & it was all set.
Old May 8, 2004, 5:34 am

Programs: UA *G
What kind of AT&T phone is it?
If it's a Nokia- PM me with the model number and IMEI; I'll get you fixed up for free.
-Mr. X
Old May 10, 2004, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Great thread. Thanks for the info! Going to try Mobile Kangaroo today.

Best wishes.

Teacher49
Old May 10, 2004, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Teacher49
Great thread. Thanks for the info! Going to try Mobile Kangaroo today.

Best wishes.

Teacher49

I can do SE phones (and most Nokias) if anyone wants... PM me if interested.
Nokia's can be done via email... for SE phones, I need the unit.
Old May 10, 2004, 5:00 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Yeah, AT&T are real jerks with their no-unlock policy. I used http://gsm.virtualdynamix.com/ here in Orange County, and were very happy with their services for my SE T616.

I'm leaving AT&T this month for many reasons, primarily crappy reception, and even worse customer service
Old May 11, 2004, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Another on AT&T and unlocking. I had a fuzzbrain customer service rep actually tell me that "the FCC forbids them to unlock phones".

I used jhunlock to get my mpx200 unlocked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.