Search

Does anyoen else dislike touchpads?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2004, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Yeah, I've got a D600 with a slippery nipple. It frequently decides to just head north and east of it's own accord. I guess the Dell folks figured this would happen, because after 3/4 of a trip across the screen, it "recalibrates" and stops again.
My current laptop is a D600, and the previous were a Compaq and Toshiba. All three have/had the wandering pointer problem. There's a discussion of it somewhere else around here, it seems fairly common for the eraserheads.
Old May 7, 2004, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
No doubt the mini-optical USB mouse is the best for me!
Old May 7, 2004, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by empedocles
My wife has a much more amusing word for them. It starts with "Cl..."
Clam-neck?
Old May 8, 2004, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
My wife has a much more amusing word for them. It starts with "Cl..."
Clam-neck?

Little man in the keyboard?
Old May 10, 2004, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the "eraser nipple cl******* thingie" also...can't abide the pads.
Old May 11, 2004, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question

Follow up question:

Does anyone other than IBM still provide the eraser thingy? My work Dell appears to have a non-standard keyboard configuration with both the touchpad and the eraser thingy, but I'm still trying to figure out if I can order one for myself that way...
Old May 11, 2004, 5:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Can't stand the nipple thing - love a touchpad for mobile use, a Kensington optical mouse for travelling, and a Logitech trackball for home!
Old May 14, 2004, 3:12 pm

Programs: HH Gold, LH SEN, *Wood Platinum
Originally Posted by jcrb
Get Soft Dome replacement trackpoint caps. They are much gentler on your figure tips. And they dont become slippery with wear or dirt like the standard ones either.

You can order them here

These caps look great. Does anyone know if they will work on a Dell laptop?
Old May 14, 2004, 5:10 pm

A colleague of mine has the wet kitty nose version on his Thinkpad and I had a chance to touch it personally last week. Definitely better compared to the hard nipple I've had to deal with in the past. I still prefer a touch pad for normal travel work and an official mouse otherwise.

I used to use trackballs when I was doing heavy graphics work and I liked them, especially the Kensington versions that basically felt like a Cue-ball. It really freed up the muscles in the hand for very precise pointing.
Old May 17, 2004, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
It's take me a couple years but I've finally gotten used to my touchpad. However, work laptop has the kitten-nose joystick -- I'm just now getting to the point where I don't prefer that anymore. Like a few others have mentioned....try to stick with the optical mouse!
Old May 17, 2004, 9:29 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I hate touchpads. I love my wireless optical Kensington mouse.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Follow Up

Surprised when I got my Thinkpad and it had both the touchpad and the joystick. Not complaining, just surprised.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:48 pm

Love Touchpads - for more than 1 reason!

Well,

From this thread it looks like I'm in the minority - I love touchpads! They grew on me over the last 3 years or so. They do take some getting used to, but now I find them as comfortable as using an external mouse (well, almost!)!

More than the mouse/cursor movement, I love touchpads because I can "Tap" the pad for a single-click, or "double-tap" for a double-click. This completely eliminates clicking any buttons whatsoever! The only time I need to click mouse buttons now are when I need to right-click on something.

I love touchpads!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Originally Posted by jcrb
Get replacement trackpoint caps. They are much gentler on your figure tips. And they dont become slippery with wear or dirt like the standard ones either.

You can order them here
Finally ordered some. I got the "Soft Rim"...little cup-like caps. Even better than the rough-nip.

PF
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:15 am

I far prefer the eraserhead pointer.

The touchpad requires me to move my whole hand from away from where I had been using that hand to type. In fact, I'd prefer never to use any other pointing device, because a mouse has the same weakness. Having to reposition my hand to use a pointing device slows me down and ticks me off.

I always buy slightly used laptops on Ebay, and I've had several nice Toshiba Portege models with eraserhead pointer as the native pointing device. My current laptop is a Toshiba Portege 7200 with an eraserhead. Unfortunately, Toshiba's new tablet PC models come with a yucky trackpad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.