Share your Outlook Inbox Rules for SPAM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

My spam count has gone through the roof recently. While my wife my disagree, I just don't need the 'male enhancer' stuff, and I know I don't need another mortgage.

So, please share your best Outlook inbox rules for fighting spam. So far I've only one:

Delete anything with a subject of "free music downloads." I catch about three per day with this one.

Any others?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use SpamAssasin, here are it's rules:

http://useast.spamassassin.org/tests.html

Don't bother setting up individual rules, each week they will all be useless when the lowlife scum spammers change their tactic.

For outlook users there is only one REAL solution: www.cloudmark.com .

Old Mar 8, 2004, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I've got cloudmark and that seems to work ok. It moves spam to a spam folder under your inbox.

I'm curious how that is going to interact with my new BlackBerry. Will I still get all the spam forwarded to my BlackBerry that ends up in that spam folder in Outlook?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:20 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
I use SpamAssasin, here are it's rules:

http://useast.spamassassin.org/tests.html

Don't bother setting up individual rules, each week they will all be useless when the lowlife scum spammers change their tactic.

For outlook users there is only one REAL solution: www.cloudmark.com .

</font>
ScottC:
I use SpamNet from Cloudmark - since you recommended it - THANKS!

I don't need SpamAssasin, right?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by USAFAN:
ScottC:
I use SpamNet from Cloudmark - since you recommended it - THANKS!

I don't need SpamAssasin, right?
</font>
Not really no, Spamassassin is a server based mail scanner. I use it because I send mail from my server to my Blackberry.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Not really no, Spamassassin is a server based mail scanner. I use it because I send mail from my server to my Blackberry.</font>
Thanks - Still, I think SpamNet is sufficient (at least) for me.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Not really no, Spamassassin is a server based mail scanner. I use it because I send mail from my server to my Blackberry.</font>
ScottC, this is exactly why I asked actually. You've been very helpful in my BlackBerry 101 thread. I saw the need to filter my incoming email so it wouldn't get forwarded on to my as of yet to be delivered BlackBerry. Can you share more info, even if it is via my email which is in my profile?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dingo:
ScottC, this is exactly why I asked actually. You've been very helpful in my BlackBerry 101 thread. I saw the need to filter my incoming email so it wouldn't get forwarded on to my as of yet to be delivered BlackBerry. Can you share more info, even if it is via my email which is in my profile?</font>
THAT is a very good question, and one I don't have the answer for, I have never used the blackberry redirector and I don't know if email is forwarded AFTER spamnet or before it...

I have a central mail server at my colocation, mail is forwarded from there to my mail server at home, which scans is for spam and virii, then it forwards it to my berry. I'll do some reading at Rimroad.com to see if the answer is there...
Old Mar 12, 2004, 1:38 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
www.mailwasher.net

Stops the spam even getting to Outlook. I get a perverse satisfaction "bouncing" the spam back to the spammers.

Once was 20-30 a day, now down to 2-3 a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.