Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tablet PCs (and a rant about Dell)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2003, 2:02 pm
jer
Original Poster

Location: My childhood was typical: Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.
Tablet PCs (and a rant about Dell)

So after a nightmare year with a Dell Inspiron 4150 -- during which I have sent it back for repairs THREE TIMES (overheating motherboard)-- they finally relinquished and admitted they sold me a lemon. Their policy on exchanges is to meet all the minimum specs of the opriginal machine.

So last week arrives the new Inspiron 5150, weiging in at 8.1 pounds -- nearly twice as much as the 4150. After countless hours on the phone to India, it appears they will meet all specs of the original machine except for weight. No dice on getting something more in line with the original 4150, which I bought precisely because of portability issues.

Now the rant: AAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Dell Tech Support has been a constant nightmare. I want a macine that balances power and portability. I now have one with loads of power, no portability, and have spent ten hours on the phone today with dell trying to explain that basic concept. They don't get it. And they won't be getting any more of my business.

So now I'm thinking, aw hell, I'll keep the 5150 and buy one of these new tablet PCs to take on the the road.

But two questions before I buy:

2) Anyone have a tablet? If so, do you like it?

1) Can I (easily) sync both my files and my outlook (emails and calander) between the two machines?
Old Oct 14, 2003, 2:35 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I think this will be a better fit at Travel Technology.

So I am moving the thread over there.

------------------
==================
Moderator: OMNI and S.P.A.M.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:17 pm

Personally, I don't get all the fuss over Tablet PCs. I type faster than I can write, so why would I buy a Tablet?

As for sync'ing files, get a big USB key/drive and use Microsoft's briefcase function.

For syncing Outlook, I have a personal folder created on my Thinkpad, and bring over a whopping archive across our network each month that contains every email I've ever sent and received for the past two years. Basically, anything I can do in the office I can do on the road, and it's **** cool.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:29 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Unless you actually like the tablet paradigm and write faster than you type (which I don't) IMO tablet PCs aren't worth the tradeoffs. Thus far every tablet I've used (two-three Fujitsus, every Acer since the first one (C102Ti?), the Toshiba, a few Viewsonics) has been slower than an equivalently specified PC. Also, the screens due to the digitizer appear rather blurry and washed out. The newer models are better but it's STILL nowhere near as bright and crisp as a standard notebook.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 10:21 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
As I am wont to do, I recommend reading what current owners have to say:
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/

Your first decision is whether you want a Slate or a Convertible.

I have a slate in the office but carry a regular notebook when traveling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.