Wiki Posts
Search

Best lighteight notebook with nipple?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2003, 2:58 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Best lighteight notebook with nipple?

I'm looking for my biannual laptop upgrade. I want WiFi built in, don't care about CD-ROM. I can't stand the touchpad. Is anybody happy with their new lightweight notebook that has an AccuPoint?

QL
Old Aug 14, 2003, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QL, that is one of the funnier subject lines...

I am thrilled with my IBM X31. I can't stand the pads either. I had an IBM Thinkpad previously, the smallest one, and a Toshiba before that, although I think Toshibas now include the pads.

Anyway, it is a fantastic laptop and the pointing device works well and is not intrusive when you are just typing.

The keyboard couldn't be better for a laptop -- it is a fine keyboard.

It does have wifi with a fine antenna inside that gives it good receiving range.

Battery life is about 3 to 4 hours, or about 8 or 9 hours with the ingenious auxiliary battery which is still quite lightweight.

Yes, it has no CD ROM. I purchased an external HP USB DVD burner that I use and it is not an issue for me.

It's the best laptop I've ever owned and I use it constantly, both as a desktop with the port replicator, and standalone around the house and when I travel.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Let me second the X-series Thinkpad from IBM, though I am a little suspicious that all of the rest of their model lines jumped to 40 while the X-series stayed at 31. I'm thinking that an X-40 is imminent.

All that aside, I have an X-20 (3 yrs old) that I still use and it does a great job though battery life is reflective of 3 yr old technology (just under 2 hours).
Old Aug 15, 2003, 6:41 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks!

QL
Old Aug 15, 2003, 8:39 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I'll keep hyping the tabletPC (Specifically the Toshiba Portege 3505). Even better than the AccuPoint is the ability to use the pen to control the cursor.

Wi-Fi built-in, external DVD-ROM (but like me, you know that you hardly EVER need it), light-weight, but still has a decent sized screen.

On top of that, the tablet functionality will change the way you work. The ability to store your notes in handwriting (yet still search them) is a fundamental and very beneficial change in keeping your paper usage down.

I'm a total paper guy who is slowly eliminating more and more of it since I can think and write graphically and still store and distribute it electronically.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am very pleased with my 2 week old IBM T40 ThinkPad (model 237319U) as it has both the single-finger toggle and a touchpad. You can use either/both interchangeably. It goes 5 lbs and is exactly 1 inch think with built-in Wi-Fi. I bought it directly from www.ibm.com with my stockholders discount for $1549 incl free 2 day UPS delivery and separately purchased a 512meg RAM module from www.crucial.com for $129 (IBM wanted $275) and installed it in less than 5 minutes. It now has 768meg RAM awaiting any number crunching and can max out at 2028meg if need be. It comes with 14.1, 256meg RAM, 30 GB HDD, removable CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo etc and a 3 year warranty. A very nice deal.

MisterNice
Old Aug 16, 2003, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I paid about $2300 for my X31 including 512MB RAM, an extra, auxiliary battery, and an extra universal power supply and a security USB "key" that I'll never use.

It is expensive but a fantastic laptop. I also paid an extra $119 for 3 years next day on site service.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm with Robb here, Toshiba is IMHO the way to go. Something like the Portege M100 would be a lovely choice. If you want REALLY small take a look at the Fujitsu Lifebook P2000 series which also doubles as a portable DVD player

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 08-16-2003).]
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
My friend Pacholo has three nipples.

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of Si-Do
Old Aug 17, 2003, 1:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
I'm with Robb here, Toshiba is IMHO the way to go. Something like the Portege M100 would be a lovely choice. If you want REALLY small take a look at the Fujitsu Lifebook P2000 series which also doubles as a portable DVD player

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 08-16-2003).]
</font>
Well, the M100 doesn't have the Accu-Point pointer that is a key requirement. I suggested the 3500 simply becuase the tablet stylus is even better than Accu-Point.

A friend has the lifebook, and there is such a thing as being too small. I tried using it and realy hated the small screen and keyboard. It's nice to have people ooh and ahh over how small it is (never thought that would be something to be proud of!), but as soon as you actually need to use it to do something, you'll be disappointed.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 5:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Apparently the M100 does have the AccuPoint but the brand-new R100 does not. Since I'm on my fourth Toshiba now, I'll probably go that route unless the IBM has some advantage I don't know about.

QL
Old Aug 17, 2003, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
Well, the M100 doesn't have the Accu-Point pointer that is a key requirement. I suggested the 3500 simply becuase the tablet stylus is even better than Accu-Point.

A friend has the lifebook, and there is such a thing as being too small. I tried using it and realy hated the small screen and keyboard. It's nice to have people ooh and ahh over how small it is (never thought that would be something to be proud of!), but as soon as you actually need to use it to do something, you'll be disappointed.
</font>
Robb, the M100 specs say:

Mouse: Integrated AccuPoint® II pointing device with scroll buttons

So, I think you are confused with the R100. If you look at the link I included you'll see it's definately an Accupoint.

I don't see a tabletpc as a replacement for an accupoint as using the screen all day takes a lot of physical movement and much more strain than just a "nipple".
Old Aug 17, 2003, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
A friend has the lifebook, and there is such a thing as being too small. I tried using it and realy hated the small screen and keyboard. It's nice to have people ooh and ahh over how small it is (never thought that would be something to be proud of!), but as soon as you actually need to use it to do something, you'll be disappointed.</font>
I too have a Lifebook, yes it's small, yes it's not the fastest around but it has amazing battery life and a great screen resolution. I get through 2 full length movies on one extended battery. For me it's the ideal companion for traveling, plus, it's widescreen display helps prevent damage from seat reclines in front of you.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 6:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Robb, the M100 specs say:

Mouse: Integrated AccuPoint® II pointing device with scroll buttons

So, I think you are confused with the R100. If you look at the link I included you'll see it's definately an Accupoint.

I don't see a tabletpc as a replacement for an accupoint as using the screen all day takes a lot of physical movement and much more strain than just a "nipple".
</font>
Ooops, I looked at the attached link and thought it didn't have the "nipple."

As for the tablet, I've carried one for about 5 months now and disagree that the net effect is additional strain. I hate the touchpad and would have stated the same requirement for a new laptop, but have never had a complaint with using the stylus. It's very natural and very easy, and adds a lot of utility.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 1:28 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Opinions from any other tablet users... better than a notebook in every way, or problems?

QL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.