Best lighteight notebook with nipple?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lighteight notebook with nipple?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2003, 4:36 am

Programs: UA General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by QuietLion:
Opinions from any other tablet users... better than a notebook in every way, or problems?

QL
</font>
As a followup, are there any Centrino-based tablets out yet? i.e., ones with more than 3 hours of battery life?

Old Aug 19, 2003, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
table PC roundup

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...undup_2003.asp
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
IMHO, every frequent flyer should have a Sony Picturebook. It's the best of the small half-size notebooks. You don't have to take it out of your bag at security checkpoints! They think it's a palm or DVD player. Yet it's as fully functional as any other notebook. The basic difference is a half-height screen. The keyboard on the Sony is the same for all notebooks.

I'm not sure if the new models have wifi yet. I told them they should add it about a year ago. I've been using these for 4 years and I'm on my 3rd model.

And yes, it has a nipple.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Epilogue: I'm typing this on my new Toshiba M100 Portege. So far I love it.

QL
Old Aug 25, 2003, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Son of Monkeyboy? Monkey boy Jr.? Monkey boy II? Enquiring minds want to know!
Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:52 am
JSD

Programs: QF P1/LTG; AA 1MM; UA 1MM
Sony just released the successor to the Picturebook - the Vaio TR1A. Pentium M, integrated wi-fi, DVD, 10.6" 16:9 screen, 3lbs, etc etc. I bought one from Circuit City and played around with it for a few days - its a nice machine, but I just couldn't get used to the way it looks. I bought the Fujitsu P5000 instead, which is also a nice super-small laptop for traveling.

BTW, neither of them have a "nipple", so I suppose that disqualifies both (although the predecessor to the P5000 - the P2000 - has a nipple instead of a touchpad, but it also has a slower Crusoe chip and shorter battery life).

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
IMHO, every frequent flyer should have a Sony Picturebook. It's the best of the small half-size notebooks. You don't have to take it out of your bag at security checkpoints! They think it's a palm or DVD player. Yet it's as fully functional as any other notebook. The basic difference is a half-height screen. The keyboard on the Sony is the same for all notebooks.

I'm not sure if the new models have wifi yet. I told them they should add it about a year ago. I've been using these for 4 years and I'm on my 3rd model.

</font>
Old Aug 25, 2003, 11:00 am
DH

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
QL, that is one of the funnier subject lines...
</font>

I believe PC term is eraser head.

Old Aug 25, 2003, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DH:

I believe PC term is eraser head.

</font>
I have also heard "kitten nose" and another anotomical part (that mixed company and good taste keep me from mentioning specifically) to describe the little pointer.

Old Aug 26, 2003, 9:50 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I would think the term would be "nubbin," actually.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:13 am
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by skofarrell:
Son of Monkeyboy? Monkey boy Jr.? Monkey boy II? Enquiring minds want to know!</font>
Lionfish.

[This message has been edited by QuietLion (edited 08-27-2003).]
Old Aug 27, 2003, 1:25 pm
JSD

Programs: QF P1/LTG; AA 1MM; UA 1MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
I would think the term would be "nubbin," actually.
</font>
That's what I've always called them, but I'm really more of a touchpad guy.

OT - when I was in college, I had an interview for a summer internship with a guy at IBM's Almaden Research center who claimed that he had invented the nubbin. He had a cool prototype for a tactical-feedback nubbin in his office - it had little things in the nubbin that poked up into your finger so you could "feel" as the mouse moved over the edge of windows and other screen "landscape". It was pretty cool - don't know if it ever made it into a commercial product. BTW, I didn't get the internship.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:

</font>
The new model of the picture book is the Vaio TR1A, no more "nipple" but a trackpad though it does come with WiFi. Price is just under $1900 retail. I HATED the old picturebook, useless POS...
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
The new model of the picture book is the Vaio TR1A, no more "nipple" but a trackpad though it does come with WiFi. Price is just under $1900 retail. I HATED the old picturebook, useless POS...</font>
I don't think that the TR-1A is the same thing. And I've gotten incredible use out of my Picturebooks. They've flown over a million miles with me, plugged into countless hotels and offices and the best part is the TSA security deal I mentioned and the fact that I can slip it into a jacket pocket. I walk into meetings without the bulky laptop bag that everyone else brings. Most everyone I've met is jealous, but their IT departments won't let them buy one.

The TR-1A looks much bigger and the pad seems to add too much size. I'll call the Sony Cierge people to find out what's the deal with the smaller notebooks. I hope I don't have to go to Europe or Japan for my next model.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:29 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JSD:
He had a cool prototype for a tactical-feedback nubbin in his office - it had little things in the nubbin that poked up into your finger so you could "feel" as the mouse moved over the edge of windows and other screen "landscape". </font>
I, of course, parsed that as something along the lines of "She had a tactical feedback nubbin" and then thought "aren't they all?"

*removes head from gutter and goes back to work*

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked with Cierge and they said no more Picturebooks in the U.S. I guess I'm going to have to stretch the life of my current model (which is doing fine so far) and look to Japan or Europe when I need another one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.