Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel 101 connection questions.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Hotel 101 connection questions.

Tech Newbie alert...

I usually just use any terminal on the road to access email etc, but now I need to take my own machine.

What am I likely to encounter when I try to connect in a Hotel room to any connection (dial up or high speed) in the US and UK?
Assume I have no knowledge, accessories or connection experience....
What I do have, is a Sony Vaio Laptop usually connected to my cable network at home, with a V56 modem aboard.
I have no dial up ISP account as yet.
Thanks in advance....I really do appreciate your Tech advice.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most hotels offer at least a data port on the phone so a phone cord and modem are the the first things you'll need. Next you'll need an ISP. If you are mainly ONLY in these 2 countries try getting a local ISP, if work is paying and you are all over the world look into a global roaming ISP like ipass.

Hotels with broadband usually use a simple ethernet connection with "DHCP", this means that all you need to do is plug you machine into the broadband connection and all should work. For it to work you do need to make sure your notebook is setup that it will automatically receive an IP address, you'll find this under the network settings but I presume that with a cable modem at home it's already setup correctly. Make sure you carry an ethernet cable as not all hotels have a cable in the room. Some stores have retractable cables, nice and compact.

Wireless in hotels isn't very popular just yet but you might want to consider investing in a wireless card (around $50), however each location will have a different provider and not all providers offer pay-as-you go options meaning you'll end up with 10 different subscriptions like myself.

Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for advice Scott ~
So, I need a dial up account something like
www.access4less.net for domestic or something like www.tempestcom.com for international. My machine is configured for DHCP via a router...so I should be all set there.
Do I need a dial up, as most hotels seem to offer High speed - Is High Speed the same as Ethernet... or the phoney dial up High Speed offered by companies like NetZero Earthlink etc...

~ URL edit ~

[This message has been edited by RDY3238 (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:07 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
If you need a cheap ISP for occasional dialup on the road, look into http://www.myfreei.com/ . There's a small signup charge, but no monthly charge for the first 10 hours. Small hoursl charge after that, but never more than $10 per month.

My wife had touble sending from Outlook express to her mail hos though myFreeI, but otherwise it's worked out well.

You should be able to find a local dialup number. But it's also pretty easy to program the wondows dialup to call via a cheap prepaid calling card.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RDY3238:
Thanks for advice Scott ~
So, I need a dial up account something like
www.access4less.net for domestic or something like www.tempestcom.com for international. My machine is configured for DHCP via a router...so I should be all set there.
Do I need a dial up, as most hotels seem to offer High speed - Is High Speed the same as Ethernet... or the phoney dial up High Speed offered by companies like NetZero Earthlink etc...

~ URL edit ~

[This message has been edited by RDY3238 (edited 08-28-2003).]
</font>
High speed in a hotel is usually based on broadband, it will usualyl get you the same speed as a residential DSL link depending on how many people are using it in the hotel. In the US high-speed is becoming more popular but in the UK it's certainly not common yet...
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Great advice - thank you very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.