Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Makeover?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2003, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Mobile Makeover?

I'm looking to replace my current mobile kit up with something a bit more modern. Trouble is, my current kit provdies quite a lot of capabilities I wouldn't like to do without. At the moment, I have the following:

- Ericsson T68 (single best phone I've owned)
- Handspring Visor Platinum & Blade Blue Tooth card
- Nokia 9210 (v.good for connecting to local ISP in countries that don't yet have GPRS)
- NEC e606 3G video phone (toy).

The Ericsson/Handspring combination I use around Europe gives me email, limited web browsing and, most importantly, IM (only via AOL though).

What I'm looking for a setup that'll give me all of this and more. Improved IM (especially MSN but preferably not on a Microsoft device) and email would be nice. I'm not too concerned as to whether I have an all in one device or separate pieces of hardware to carry around (the small phone and proper organizer has worked quite well for me).

Any recommendations?

Regards
I
Old Jun 18, 2003, 4:42 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I have just got the new Orange SPV. It does everything. The only problem is you need a week off work to read the instructions. They gave it to me free as well as I am on the talk 200 plan. Looked at the deal from Vodaphone and found it very deceptive. They claim to be cheaper than orange, but no way. They highly inflate the costs and tell you they give a massive discount for international calls. Like for like if you dig seep enough it is more expensive.

O2 were cheaper and have offers on the phones but they dont have the network coverage from what I could see.

The back up service from Orange is faultless as well.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
If you have a T68 I'm a bit surprised that you are even asking! P800! It has all the functions of your T68, including bluetooth, runs Symbian like your Communicator, lots of apps like your visor, has a built-in camera and plays video and music, and now has a very good MSN Messenger client available. Oh, and all your T68 accessories will work with it.

It's a no-brainer.

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of Si-Do
Old Jun 18, 2003, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alanw:
If you have a T68 I'm a bit surprised that you are even asking! P800! It has all the functions of your T68, including bluetooth, runs Symbian like your Communicator, lots of apps like your visor, has a built-in camera and plays video and music, and now has a very good MSN Messenger client available. Oh, and all your T68 accessories will work with it.

It's a no-brainer.

</font>
Good call!

Just remember that not ALL the T68i accessories will work, devices that use a dynamic menu (like the Chatboard and MP3 player) will not work. All other things like chargers, desktop stands and data cables DO work.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Fenton:
I have just got the new Orange SPV. It does everything. The only problem is you need a week off work to read the instructions. They gave it to me free as well as I am on the talk 200 plan. Looked at the deal from Vodaphone and found it very deceptive. They claim to be cheaper than orange, but no way. They highly inflate the costs and tell you they give a massive discount for international calls. Like for like if you dig seep enough it is more expensive.

O2 were cheaper and have offers on the phones but they dont have the network coverage from what I could see.

The back up service from Orange is faultless as well.
</font>
I had a play with this and and was quite suprised but I didn't like the lack of Bluetooth support.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:51 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alanw:

It's a no-brainer.

</font>
Yes, the P800 is currently my most likely option though I might wait around for the Treo 600. What is the name of the MSN Messanger client? Does the P800 support other clients (I'm not sure I'd like to loose AIM to gain MSN but that remains to be decided).

Regards
I
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Oh, and while I'm passing through, thanks for all the advice.

Rgards
I
Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I ended up getting the new Sony Ericsson T610 and will shortly be getting either a Pocket PC or one of the new Palm models with built in Bluethooth (probably a pocket PC as the IM options seem a little more comprehensive.

The SET610 has been most impressive. The first time I saw it, it looked awful but a play with one in an Orange shop won me over. It's the first 2.5G phone I've used with that compares to some of the phones out in Japan (yes, I know there are others but I don't like clamshell phones).

[This message has been edited by Internaut (edited 07-02-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.