Reload this Page >

Adding Windows (or refreshed Chrome??) to an EOL Chromebook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2024, 6:31 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I have an older Lenovo Chromebook (x131e -- the one built like a brick for the education market and afaik is the only Lenovo Chromebook with a trackpoint, not just a touchpad).

It is end-of-life and no longer receives any Chrome updates.

Is there a way to add either Windows or "refresh" it so it again receives Chrome updates (would prefer the latter)?

TIA!
Old May 22, 2024, 4:47 pm

Programs: CO Plat
You can try to install chromeOS Flex. In order to install chromeOS Flex (or windows/linux) on an EOL chromebook, you would need to update some firmware.

See https://mrchromebox.tech. The X131e shows as a supported model.

I run chromeOS Flex on a 2011 Macbook Air which has direct chromeOS Flex support. It works fine and receives updates.
cblaisd, KRSW and der_saeufer like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 6:17 pm

Programs: CO Plat
tutorial here:
cblaisd and der_saeufer like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Well, I instead found a Thinkpad Yoga C13 refurbished by a reputable seller for half the price of even the lowest Amazon one. It is a beautiful machine.

So instead of putting a new OS on the x131e I powerwashed reset it and put it up for sale.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.