Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble with subscribed calendar in Outlook

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trouble with subscribed calendar in Outlook

My company uses Outlook 365, like the rest of the world. For the last few years I've added my personal Google calendar to Outlook by adding it as a subscribed calendar in Outlook on the web. It has worked fine. In the last week I noticed it didn't seem to be syncing anymore. This happens from time to time, so I just deleted the calendar and re-added it. But now it only shows a handful of events. Other subscribed calendars don't seem to be affected.

I think the issue is that there's an event in the calendar that Outlook thinks is corrupt or otherwise can't handle, and it's silently failing to sync the rest after it comes up to it. But there doesn't seem to be a way to look "under the hood" in Outlook to find out what the error is. To compound it, I had to add the calendar in Outlook on the web. I can't add it directly in Outlook, since apparently our admin has blocked creating pst files locally. So the sync is happening somewhere in a Microsoft data center, not from my local copy of Outlook.

I exported my entire Google calendar to an ical file but it's huge (1.7 MB) and contains events going back to 2009 or so. It also doesn't seem to be organized chronologically. THere are events from 2009 next to events from last year. So I don't know how to figure out which event is causing the problem, if that is in fact the problem. The file is too big for the online iCal validators to work with. I've tried validating snippets and they seem fine, though it just says a couple of lines are too long.

At this point I'm stumped. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:02 am

On mobile so difficult to access my search history, but as I remember it, there is a file you need to delete. I remember having an issue where I had an old invite and it would come back again and again until I deleted this file.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ooh! I've been looking for the file where Outlook stores subscribed calendars and as far as I can tell it's the .ost file, which I think stores EVERYTHING in your profile, so I haven't deleted it.

update: I deleted it and outlook redownloaded everything, but the missing events in the calendar are still missing. Which makes sense, because they don't show on Outlook on the web either. I still think the issue is a corrupt event confusing whatever is doing the sync in Microsoft's data center.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Mar 25, 2024 at 12:22 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:27 pm

It's not the same but consider fix 2 from here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eas...t-working.html
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
It's not the same but consider fix 2 from here...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eas...t-working.html
No change.

Again I think it's an issue between Microsoft syncing with the Google calendar in the cloud. It's not anything on my local computer, since IT disallows creating a PST file locally to save the data.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 3:27 pm

I found this, would be a place to start...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-dc4f760023be

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.