USB-C cable strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USB-C cable strategies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by MalFr
For reference certain Dell XPS can also take 135w, although i normally use a ugreen 100w charger for a slightly slower charge.
IIRC, Dell uses a non-standard approach to the 135W charging… So, no standard EPR charger (i.e. those which enable 140W @ 28V@5A, 180W/36V@5A and/or 240W/48V@5A will enable it, only Dell’s chargers which support the non-standard protocol will work.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:45 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
Considering it's dell, i think that's entirely likely.
I do remember something about that when i was researching a travel charger and ISTR it was one of the contributory reasons, along with weight, cost and size) as to why i chose a 100w device instead. That was many moons ago now, and my memory has moved on...
Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:00 am

I really like my Invzi 100W USB-C adapter. Works super well and is tiny. I also got the Anker 100W one and for some reason it had issues with some of my devices.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:17 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy,
My 2c.
During travel, I carry one laptop (ultrabook), 1 Kindle, 2 phones, RX100 camera, USB-C earphones. Below are some of the blocks that I have used over the years and have tried/supported many cable projects on a couple of crowd-funding platforms.

Overall I have settled on the following combo:
1. Cable-1: InCharge XL, 2m, 100W universal cable. Can do any-to-any connector type (USB-C, USB-A, MicroUSB, and Lightning) - Charges all devices; not suitable for high-speed data transfer
2. Cable-2: Monoprice Thunderbolt Cable, 1m, 240W, 40Gbps - Used as backup for USB-C to USB-C charging, and for high-speed display and data transfer.
3. Primary Charger - Anker Prime 3 port 67W GaN
4. Backup Charger - Chargeasap Omega, 4 port (goes in the checked bag)

Top: Hyperjuice 100W, SlimQ 65W, Omega 100W ; Bottom: Anker Prime 67W, Anker nano 65W

Have other versions of cables and chargers as well. Would be happy to provide specifics.
Cheers!

Last edited by notSoFreqFlyr20; Mar 31, 2024 at 3:17 pm Reason: Added spaces.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by notSoFreqFlyr20
1. Cable-1: InCharge XL, 2m, 100W universal cable. Can do any-to-any connector type (USB-C, USB-A, MicroUSB, and Lightning) - Charges all devices; not suitable for high-speed data transfer
Just one comment on the above post: It’s a personal decision, but do be aware that the USB-C to Lightning + to micro-USB as well as the USB-C to USB-A adapters are both out of spec.

Outfitting your travel kit for USB-C
  • There are ways to have at least the C-to-A adapter properly keyed & thus appropriately safe (if not explicitly in-spec, not sure on that), which InCharge did not apply.
  • C-to-micro: only tested-as-safe adapter I’ve heard of is the Innergie I noted above; others have posted that it only works with Innergie chargers, but I used it with my Belkin just fine.
  • C-to-Lightning cannot be in-spec, apparently. However, using a micro-to-Lightning adapter with the Innergie adapter above should work.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 31, 2024 at 8:09 pm
Old Apr 6, 2024, 8:32 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, HHonors, Marriott Bonvoy,
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crackjack
Just one comment on the above post: It’s a personal decision, but do be aware that the USB-C to Lightning + to micro-USB as well as the USB-C to USB-A adapters are both out of spec.

Outfitting your travel kit for USB-C
  • There are ways to have at least the C-to-A adapter properly keyed & thus appropriately safe (if not explicitly in-spec, not sure on that), which InCharge did not apply.
  • C-to-micro: only tested-as-safe adapter I’ve heard of is the Innergie I noted above; others have posted that it only works with Innergie chargers, but I used it with my Belkin just fine.
  • C-to-Lightning cannot be in-spec, apparently. However, using a micro-to-Lightning adapter with the Innergie adapter above should work.
@carjack : Thank you for adding that clarification. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.