Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VPN and incognito tricks do not work when purchasing tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 4:52 am
Original Poster

VPN and incognito tricks do not work to purchase cheaper tickets

There are many myths circulating on the Internet about using VPN and incognito to buy cheaper tickets.

I bought a good (paid) VPN, I tried it on many search engines, OTAs, even by airlines directly and these tricks to get cheaper prices do not work. I don’t know if it worked before, but it doesn’t now.

Certainly a good promoting to buy a VPN.

Am I wrong, have you had different experiences?

Last edited by anonimous; Mar 14, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:25 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
I’ve never found them to work like that
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by anonimous
There are many myths circulating on the Internet about using VPN and incognito to buy cheaper tickets.

I bought a good (paid) VPN, I tried it on many search engines, OTAs, even by airlines directly and these tricks to get cheaper prices do not work. I don’t know if it worked before, but it doesn’t now.

Certainly a good promoting to buy a VPN.

Am I wrong, have you had different experiences?
Location is only part of the equation for how much a ticket costs. Load factor, search interests and other things go into this as well. So That the price didn't change is not a big surprise. They might have started VPN screening as well (would only add a few lines of code)
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
They might have started VPN screening as well (would only add a few lines of code)
Or you could be like this website (or its proxy: cloudflare) and try to wholesale block VPN access... There is a high level of ironicality in a website for travel discussion blocking VPNs.

Usually I can get around that by just reconnecting until I get an ASN that isn't blacklisted by cloudflare.
jhawk0202 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Or you could be like this website (or its proxy: cloudflare) and try to wholesale block VPN access... There is a high level of ironicality in a website for travel discussion blocking VPNs.

Usually I can get around that by just reconnecting until I get an ASN that isn't blacklisted by cloudflare.
To be honest, I never understood that for FT. For a full blown ecommerce site, yes. But unless IB is selling geographic data (and they could), it's really kinda pointless to block VPN access to FT. Readers will be coming from all over the world. But after the Trending page issue, what do I know about advertising...
jhawk0202 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
To be honest, I never understood that for FT. For a full blown ecommerce site, yes. But unless IB is selling geographic data (and they could), it's really kinda pointless to block VPN access to FT. Readers will be coming from all over the world. But after the Trending page issue, what do I know about advertising...
I messaged FT about it a while back. They were really nice and offered to try to work with their provider and whitelist the address I was using. I explained that isn't really a viable solution since one's endpoint is likely to be different every time they turn on their VPN.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I messaged FT about it a while back. They were really nice and offered to try to work with their provider and whitelist the address I was using. I explained that isn't really a viable solution since one's endpoint is likely to be different every time they turn on their VPN.
It's not even a static set of IPs. For example Nord/Express/PIA play whackamole with the chinese authorities and I'm pretty sure they do the same for other "similar" governments. Pools of ASNs are often in flux with them.
HDQDD and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:05 pm

I've never had a VPN give me a better price. Using a different country's website? Rarely. Most of the airline discounts I'm aware of are based on your own location when you enter your details. I know of a few edge cases where airlines have "locals" rates, but you need to present ID with address that matches the "locals". Not easily exploitable.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:15 pm

Using a VPN to get cheaper tickets is a myth. What you actually need to do is shop with a different POS, so compare prices from kayak.com kayak.fr kayak.es ...
Always check metas / airlines websites for the country you depart from and you fly to. So when flying from the U.S. to Spain make sure you check both .com and .es
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by fuyao
Using a VPN to get cheaper tickets is a myth. What you actually need to do is shop with a different POS, so compare prices from kayak.com kayak.fr kayak.es ...
Always check metas / airlines websites for the country you depart from and you fly to. So when flying from the U.S. to Spain make sure you check both .com and .es

Purchae with a credit card which has no foreign transaction fee.

Using different country websites is discussed for cruises on several sites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.