Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best VPN for Video Streaming while traveling (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best VPN for Video Streaming while traveling (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2024, 11:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

A Raspberry Pi with PiVPN is so simple even an idiot (me) can do it.

Works with Wireguard or OpenVPN.

I've never had an issue connecting from anywhere, and it just presents my location as my home address.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I just setup tailscale, and it was easy.

The free account has 100 devices, not 10.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 3:30 pm

FuboTV working fine in Canada connected to my home desktop that is the Exit Node on my Tailscale connection.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by TGarza
Except when I don’t want them to know I am home 👍
All well and good, but not what the OP asked for.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's a GLiNet 300M - not sure if it's still available, but something similar will be.
Just a few years ago, I would not have touched those GLiNets with a 39 1/2 ft pole (because of the PRC requirements), but now that they run OpenWRT, I have a few of them. My fav is the Slate AX, but it's a bit bigger. For smallest travel router size, the 300's are great. I have some older AR750s that have even better specs than the 300s, but I think those are EOL now.

I have a Wireguard tunnel back to my house setup on the Slate, I can pull pretty good speeds through it. The limitation is always the hotel's bandwidth.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
As others have mentioned, setting up your own is your best bet, hosted by your home network if possible due to transfer costs and if the service uses network fingerprinting.
This. Setup your own Wireguard server at home, and then not only can you stream through it, but you'll also have access to your home network if you need anything there. I use this if I need to use streaming services. For all other VPN needs, I use Nord. I used to use PIA, but they (at the time) didn't offer a Wireguard option, which is many times faster than OpenVPN and uses significantly less resources. Over fiber at home, I can easily get 70+ MB/s (yes megabytes). I have it limited to 70 to allow overhead for other applications/services.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:27 am

I really like SurfShark.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
The best way to beat the services' VPN blockers is to run your own at home, that way it looks like you're just sitting at home watching.
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Since streaming companies often try to block VPNs, I think it's best to run your own so you appear to be at your US home no matter where you are.
does using your own VPN at home result in double counting of the VPN data towards your home internet data cap? since you are downloading the netflix to your home, then uploading to your actual location
Old Feb 13, 2024, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
does using your own VPN at home result in double counting of the VPN data towards your home internet data cap? since you are downloading the netflix to your home, then uploading to your actual location
If you are at home, no the data is not doubled. I frequently use a VPN at home. VPN overhead is 5 to 15% of the traffic.

Remote access to the home VPN does double the data count down and up.

Last edited by TGarza; Feb 13, 2024 at 8:47 am
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:16 am

If you have a transfer cap, then yes (once in and out). However consider the alternatives.... if you host your VPN in the cloud, there are outbound charges. If you use a commercial VPN (eg, NordVPN or PIA or Surf Shark) then you're playing whack-a-mole with being able to access the service. For most places/services, the transfer caps are usually quite high if not unlimited. (for example, Starlink has a fair-use limit before throttling but no official cap). You could have other issues such as latency or (for video services) sync issues, but for most people, a self hosted VPN is a better way to go.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Can this be done on a router? I don't have a desktop anymore, well, it's collecting dust.

I tried googling "Linksys router VPN" but it's mostly results on setting up a expressvpn, nordvpn, etc on router
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:52 am

Can this be done on a router? I don't have a desktop anymore, well, it's collecting dust.

I tried googling "Linksys router VPN" but it's mostly results on setting up a expressvpn, nordvpn, etc on router
Hosting a VPN on a Linksys router? Depends. I haven't really kept up with them, but they used to have some SMB routers that would. Current consumer models I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe if you could load an alternative firmware on them like DD-WRT or Tomato (not all routers support this)...
Old Feb 13, 2024, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Just a few years ago, I would not have touched those GLiNets with a 39 1/2 ft pole (because of the PRC requirements), but now that they run OpenWRT, I have a few of them. My fav is the Slate AX, but it's a bit bigger. For smallest travel router size, the 300's are great. I have some older AR750s that have even better specs than the 300s, but I think those are EOL now.

I have a Wireguard tunnel back to my house setup on the Slate, I can pull pretty good speeds through it. The limitation is always the hotel's bandwidth.
What are PRC requirements?

I did notice that Wireguard performance on the TV connection is much slower than OpenVPN, and I can't really tell the difference when testing on a laptop. I thought it should be much faster.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Hosting a VPN on a Linksys router? Depends. I haven't really kept up with them, but they used to have some SMB routers that would. Current consumer models I wouldn't have a clue. Maybe if you could load an alternative firmware on them like DD-WRT or Tomato (not all routers support this)...
I googled "Linksys router VPN server" and found this article half way down the results:

https://www.linksys.com/support-arti...ticleNum=49844

If you have the indicated models, this allows devices to connect to your home router via an OpenVPN connection/client. For other models, add the model to the search string.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:39 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Asus and Netgear/Orbi routers have a VPN built in (not sure if it's all models). Just switch it on via the Webconsole and download a client file that you use on your laptop / phone. You need to download an appropriate OpenVPN client and import the file.

Once connected, it's like being on your home network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.