US Mobile Users, International Roaming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Mobile Users, International Roaming

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

A lot of what you say is over my head. What can I say? I'm technologically ignorant.
Originally Posted by draver
[...]
Since I now seem to mysteriously have WiFi calling enabled, [...]
Weird but good.

[...] I have been able to make 2 WiFi calls on my US Mobile line to foreign numbers while roaming in Thailand. [...] These calls were to +66 XXXX numbers, which is the country code for Thailand. [...]
That seems even weirder, but maybe it's my lack of understanding. With my current provider (Consumer Cellular), I understand that any call to a non-North American number (and maybe non-US number) costs extra, regardless of how it is done.

[...]
Retain the use of any roaming data service you prefer for overseas use.
[...]
Ah, thanks. Some of your earlier posts had made me worry that it was T-Mobile in particular that enabled some of the magic. Being able to use a one-time, prepaid eSIM for an overseas trip is a big plus for me.

[...]
As serpens alluded to very early on, this may all be “Too Good To Be True”, but time will tell. It certainly is interesting to explore.
I stand by my statement, perhaps even more so. Thank you for the reports.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

I certainly understand any skepticism regarding my experience in this trial.

As far as the WiFi calling spontaneously activating, I was able to eventually add my 911 address to the feature. Perhaps that was accepted by the system without my current location known. I have numerous other devices registered that match the same address. Perhaps there is a cross check built into the system? On my new US Mobile line I can make WiFi calls with only WiFi active, without cellular on.

Remember that US Mobile does not officially declare WiFi calling as an option or free feature for their plans. However on Reddit they did post this entry:

” [–]pm_usmobileProduct ⚡️ 9 points 13 days ago

Will jump in here. Had seen your follow up question. Apologies had not got around to responding yet.

To clarify: when you are on wifi calling, your line is NOT roaming. As I said in my original comment, when you are on wifi calling, even outside the US, your line is treated as if it is in the US.

Roaming is specifically when you are able to use data, talk and text on your phone while you are abroad and NOT on wifi calling; when you are just using a regular cellular connection wherever you are.

This is what Maaz means when he says that international calling works on USM lines but roaming is only supported on Warp lines via a pilot program (it is available officially on our GSM network though).

Ignoring the technical distinction in terminology for a bit, to answer your questions:
  1. While you are outside the US, if your phone is on wifi calling, yes you will be able to call both US phones and international numbers (to any of our 200+ supported destinations) from that phone, even if your line does not officially have native roaming enabled (as it is on wifi calling)
  2. Yes these calls are free (they just count against domestic minutes, which are unlimited on pretty much all the plans we offer)
  3. If you have two USM lines both abroad and you are trying to call one from the other, and neither has native roaming enabled, yes that will also work as long as both are on wifi calling (as the receiving line also does not have native roaming enabled it would need to be on wifi calling as well to be able to receive the call). That isn't even related to international calling, since that is just a US to US phone call.
  4. Whether this all would work via simulated WiFi on a dual SIM phone, not sure. We haven't tested that on a phone abroad; but if you are currently abroad and in a position to try it out, please do and let us know if it works! ”
Since WiFi calling does not use any carrier data resources other than minutes, they really aren’t giving up anything that isn’t built into any plan already. It seems to me every carrier could provide the same service for free. It is only doing what programs like “WhatsApp” use.
sobore likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by serpens
That seems even weirder, but maybe it's my lack of understanding. With my current provider (Consumer Cellular), I understand that any call to a non-North American number (and maybe non-US number) costs extra, regardless of how it is done.
Many US Mobile plans include free international calling to many countries. All that's happening here is that draver is using "Wifi calling" (be that over actual Wifi or via a different cellular data connection) to make a call to a number that is included as free in their plan. The same number would be free if called from within the US via the mobile network - just because they are using wifi calling they can also make it free from outside of the US (because the call is routed back to the US over the internet rather than via the mobile network, and thus the fact they are in Italy isn't really relevant).
​​​​​​
As far as the WiFi calling spontaneously activating, I was able to eventually add my 911 address to the feature.
US Mobile (on their GSM 5G network, at least) allows you to enable Wifi Calling whilst overseas. I've done this myself, there's nothing surprising about the fact it works.

Remember that US Mobile does not officially declare WiFi calling as an option or free feature for their plans.
Yeah, they do, and they have for years. eg, this is from 3 years ago when they first introduced it - https://www.usmobile.com/blog/introd...-connectivity/

Don't get me wrong - it's great to see the enthusiasm here, but some of us have been doing exactly what you're doing for years, across multiple carriers. It's not exactly new or revolutionary... (Used to be you had to have 2 phones, or a phone + MiFi to make it work. The proliferation of dual-sim phones has certainly made things easier!)
Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

I made a few calls over IMS to Italy & Florida this morning using US Mobile as the no service line and one of my T-Mobile lines on local cellular. Worked well, but I am getting 5G service with 100+Mbps down, 40+ speeds on the local carrier AIS in Thailand. I also made one call over just WiFi with similar results.

I will continue to test this function on my trip and report in this thread any changes in service availability or feedback from US Mobile.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:37 am

I'm wondering if this might be a good service for American ex pats to get short code SMSes, etc.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I'm wondering if this might be a good service for American ex pats to get short code SMSes, etc.

You would need to read the details of the terms and conditions for any limits of continuous use outside the US. I have not found sufficient documentation for me to switch providers to this plan. I am following draver’s review for more details.

Several MVNO’s have no limits on WiFi usage abroad since the service doesn’t roam such as Visible and RedPocket. As more Android handsets support WiFi calling using the data of the 2nd esim/psim, this option will be more viable for all travelers and expats.
draver likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

I’m still chuggin’ along with my testing in Asia. In Singapore yesterday I made a few calls to my wife’s phone with good service. Her phone is set up on basic IMS with 2 T-Mobile lines and I am still set for T-Mobile on free roaming data with US Mobile as non roaming voice service. Voice quality was good, and texting was normal and reliable also.

I am still cautiously optimistic that this configuration is a simple, cheap solution to free voice service while roaming internationally. If this setup proves to be what I have experienced, I will be married to T-Mobile & US Mobile for care free cellular travel.
TGarza likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Well, I've decided to take the plunge and switch to US Mobile. If this is a bad idea, please let me know promptly.

Background info on what I want to do and why. I would like to get physical SIMs for two phones, one of which does not have eSIM capability. The other phone does, but I was going to save the eSIM "slot" for a travel eSIM. Also, I would like the two phones to be on different networks, to increase the chance that there will be cell service on at least one wherever they end up domestically. (The phones will almost always travel together, and sometimes in remote areas.) In both cases, the plan would be to get a shareable data plan (the cheapest one). Since the phones would be on two different networks, I expect they will not be able to share data, and that's fine. I also expect that each phone would have 2 GB of data per month. If I've said something silly, please let me know.

At the US Mobile web site, I could not find anything about how I choose Warp 5G (Verizon) or GSM (T-Mobile). One page seemed to imply that I would receive two SIMs and I could choose which to use, but the actual order page said "Universal SIM card" (singular). How do I choose? Or is the universal SIM card valid for either and I choose later? Can I have two different networks on the two phones on the same account, or would I need two accounts?

Which network should the more heavily used phone be on? Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
Well, I've decided to take the plunge and switch to US Mobile. If this is a bad idea, please let me know promptly.

Background info on what I want to do and why. I would like to get physical SIMs for two phones, one of which does not have eSIM capability. The other phone does, but I was going to save the eSIM "slot" for a travel eSIM. Also, I would like the two phones to be on different networks, to increase the chance that there will be cell service on at least one wherever they end up domestically. (The phones will almost always travel together, and sometimes in remote areas.) In both cases, the plan would be to get a shareable data plan (the cheapest one). Since the phones would be on two different networks, I expect they will not be able to share data, and that's fine. I also expect that each phone would have 2 GB of data per month. If I've said something silly, please let me know.

At the US Mobile web site, I could not find anything about how I choose Warp 5G (Verizon) or GSM (T-Mobile). One page seemed to imply that I would receive two SIMs and I could choose which to use, but the actual order page said "Universal SIM card" (singular). How do I choose? Or is the universal SIM card valid for either and I choose later? Can I have two different networks on the two phones on the same account, or would I need two accounts?

Which network should the more heavily used phone be on? Thanks for any help.
They mailed me 2 SIM cards, one for Warp and one GSM. You choose at that time and activate the sim card.

You can manage multiple lines within 1 account. I'm pretty sure they can be on different networks.

Maybe someone else can answer the other questions. If you want both networks on 1 single phone, I thought you need 2 separate phone lines. However I saw this about unlimited plans.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 2:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rrgg
They mailed me 2 SIM cards, one for Warp and one GSM. You choose at that time and activate the sim card.
[...]
Thank you; that's good news. Now I wonder if I can order one starter package and put one SIM in one phone and the other SIM in the other phone.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:17 am
Original Poster

My US Mobile line is a Warp (Verizon) Shared Plan @ $10 a month, taxes inc. for 2Gb high speed data. Unlimited calls & texts, including hotspot. A second line can share the data for an extra $8, but a second plan would get an additional 2Gb of data for only $2 more. This is the service I have been reporting on for my recent Asia testing. I'm going to the Caribbean for 17 days in March/April with the same T-Mobile/US Mobile setup. Again, I will have T-Mobile providing the data for the non roaming US Mobile voice line. I expect the IMS function to provide dual sim free voice service for international calling. This provides for a dual sim phone having stand alone free voice service without the need for true WiFi access. It also escapes the $.25 a minute fee for calls other than to or from US numbers while roaming.

Another minor advantage to this configuration is, for IMS to function, the voice line needs to be without roaming service. This is so that it may default to the cellular data for calling. My US Mobile line cannot roam, therefore it always automatically looks to the data service regardless of location. It saves the hunt for a non roaming carrier sure thing. This can be an issue in areas with only 1 or 2 carriers that may have roaming agreements with your voice line. A few years back, The Bahamas only had 1 carrier (BTC), and T-Mobile roamed on them. IMS was impossible to use because of this situation with a T-Mobile voice line making a roaming connection.

It is also possible to Snooze my $10 plan when I don't need it for travel. The rate drops to $2.50 and there is no limit for time on this feature. I figure I can turn this on about 1/2 of the year while home. I just ran a speed test at home and got 865 Mbps down, 44.8 Mbps up, so the Warp/Verizon data doesn't seem to be deprioritized either.
TGarza likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:43 am
Original Poster

I posted the following on Reddit/US Mobile this morning. This is a copy-paste.

I’m currently (3-28-24) in the Bahamas roaming on the BTC cellular carrier with a T-Mobile data line. I have a US Mobile Warp line set to my Voice service. That line has no roaming service, and has Data Roaming switched OFF. It is defaulting to Using Cellular Data as expected. I made a test call to Singapore Airways, and it connected properly and I was able to listen to their automated voice menu clearly. I used this system a few months back in Asia with the same setup and results. I am willing to attempt any reasonable tests from Reddit users if possible. For those considering this configuration, it seems pretty bulletproof on iPhones from the 13 + newer because of the Dual Sim, Dual Standby capability.

I am open to questions or proposals for additional testing of the service described.
freecia likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

[...] For those considering this configuration, it seems pretty bulletproof on iPhones from the 13 + newer because of the Dual Sim, Dual Standby capability.
[...]
Thank you far all your reporting on US Mobile.

I don't know where the iPhone SE (2020 or second generation) fits into the numbered iPhone lineup, but it does have dual SIM capability (and I've used it overseas), so I assume I'm set to go. I just received but have not installed the physical SIM from US Mobile. If I run into difficulties, I'll review this thread and post questions for anything I can't figure out. Thanks again.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Serpens,

I don’t know if your 2020 iPhone SE has the Dual Sim Dual Standby configuration for the IMS function. The iPhone 13 series are the first ones I’m aware of, and they were new models in 2021. You may need to do a web search to determine its capability in that respect.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:00 am

I posted the following on Reddit/US Mobile this morning. This is a copy-paste.

I’m currently (3-28-24) in the Bahamas roaming on the BTC cellular carrier with a T-Mobile data line. I have a US Mobile Warp line set to my Voice service. That line has no roaming service, and has Data Roaming switched OFF. It is defaulting to Using Cellular Data as expected. I made a test call to Singapore Airways, and it connected properly and I was able to listen to their automated voice menu clearly. I used this system a few months back in Asia with the same setup and results. I am willing to attempt any reasonable tests from Reddit users if possible. For those considering this configuration, it seems pretty bulletproof on iPhones from the 13 + newer because of the Dual Sim, Dual Standby capability.

I am open to questions or proposals for additional testing of the service described.
Is it possible to receive sms 2fa to the US Mobile Warp line when using T-Mobile Data?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.