FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Starlink Mini Portable Dish update?

Hi all,
I've been waiting patiently since these reports surfaced in September:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/fcc-appro...-starlink-dish
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/spa...ink-receivers/

Does anyone have any updates about when the "mini" dish (reportedly the size of a Macbook) will be available to customers?

I know that we are just a few years away from our smartphones having satellite communications built in (for everyday use, not just emergency use).

But in the meantime, while an additional device is required for routine satcom, it sure would be nice to be able to use a Starlink Roam subscription while traveling, without having to pack the big, heavy dish and feet.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Does anyone have any updates about when the "mini" dish (reportedly the size of a Macbook) will be available to customers?
I know that we are just a few years away from our smartphones having satellite communications built in (for everyday use, not just emergency use).
But in the meantime, while an additional device is required for routine satcom, it sure would be nice to be able to use a Starlink Roam subscription while traveling, without having to pack the big, heavy dish and feet.
No news, but I would probably wait for some performance tests if I were you. Remember that these dishes are line of sight. Smaller dishes are cool, however they're more susceptible to weather and physical barrier (like trees and structures). The smaller the transceiver, the more vulnerable they are to those kinds of disruptions.
pseudoswede, ESpen36 and KRSW like this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
No news, but I would probably wait for some performance tests if I were you. Remember that these dishes are line of sight. Smaller dishes are cool, however they're more susceptible to weather and physical barrier (like trees and structures). The smaller the transceiver, the more vulnerable they are to those kinds of disruptions.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.