Wiki Posts
Search

Avoid using Sim card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHD
Avoid using Sim card

I have a Iphone with latest update installed. We will be travelling to Japan and normally I buy a sim card there and replace my German Telekom sim. Now I want to buy a esim, but I am somewhat apprehensive that some data will use the Telekom card and so causing a high bill.
What are my options:
1.Install the esim and take out the sim card. Easy, safe, but I might lose or damage my sim card.
2. Install the esim and disable the sim card. How do I disable the sim so it would not connect to the internet or receive sms?

Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2023, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Stephan54
I have a Iphone with latest update installed. We will be travelling to Japan and normally I buy a sim card there and replace my German Telekom sim. Now I want to buy a esim, but I am somewhat apprehensive that some data will use the Telekom card and so causing a high bill.
What are my options:
1.Install the esim and take out the sim card. Easy, safe, but I might lose or damage my sim card.
2. Install the esim and disable the sim card. How do I disable the sim so it would not connect to the internet or receive sms?

Thanks
Sims/esims data can be disabled in the settings to prevent roaming data charges. You could retrieve the messages by connecting to the hotel WiFi.

iPhones can be configured to use IMS over WiFI with the Telekom sim data disabled. Wifi is turned on, the data of the local esim is used to retrieve the messages for the number associated with the Telekom sim.
Stephan54 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 5:33 am

In addition to the above, on iPhones you can completely disable the physical SIM in the settings by flipping a toggle, the same as disabling an eSIM. That'll prevent you from receiving calls and SMS in addition to switching off data.

The toggle (and the individual SIM menu that contains it) only shows up if you have multiple SIMs installed.
TGarza, Stephan54 and crackjack like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHD
Thanks to both of you.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TGarza
Sims/esims data can be disabled in the settings to prevent roaming data charges. You could retrieve the messages by connecting to the hotel WiFi.

iPhones can be configured to use IMS over WiFI with the Telekom sim data disabled. Wifi is turned on, the data of the local esim is used to retrieve the messages for the number associated with the Telekom sim.
This isn’t really correct. I’ve had iMessage problems/annoyances when disabling the SIM. It goes without saying you wouldn’t receive any SMS messages sent to you by non-Apple users… but when disabling the SIM, it disables the line altogether on your phone and disassociates it from your iMessage numbers on your Apple account. You cannot send or receive iMessages over Wi-Fi or other data connection using your phone number if the SIM is disabled; even if the local SIM is providing a data connection, you are not able to use that to “retrieve” the messages for the number associated with the other SIM that you have disabled.

Physical SIMs were treated differently if you physically removed them vs. disabling; Apple (historically, though there have been reports of difficulty lately) gave a 30 day grace period during which time you could continue to keep using iMessage and FaceTime despite that number not being currently associated with the phone. Not so if you turn off the line in the iPhone settings (whether physical or eSIM).

Disabling data roaming but leaving the SIM otherwise enabled is another option, though it of course won’t stop everything (such as phone calls and SMS that don’t rely on data).
Stephan54 likes this.

Last edited by javabytes; Aug 19, 2023 at 9:07 am
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD4E, Avion
I've used e-sims a handful of times and have never had an issue with convergence of services or extra fees. Once the physical sim is disabled in the settings, it's never been an issue.
TGarza and Stephan54 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
This isn’t really correct. I’ve had iMessage problems/annoyances when disabling the SIM. It goes without saying you wouldn’t receive any SMS messages sent to you by non-Apple users… but when disabling the SIM, it disables the line altogether on your phone and disassociates it from your iMessage numbers on your Apple account. You cannot send or receive iMessages over Wi-Fi or other data connection using your phone number if the SIM is disabled; even if the local SIM is providing a data connection, you are not able to use that to “retrieve” the messages for the number associated with the other SIM that you have disabled.

Physical SIMs were treated differently if you physically removed them vs. disabling; Apple (historically, though there have been reports of difficulty lately) gave a 30 day grace period during which time you could continue to keep using iMessage and FaceTime despite that number not being currently associated with the phone. Not so if you turn off the line in the iPhone settings (whether physical or eSIM).
That’s not been my experience using IMS on my iPhone with the data disabled on my domestic sim. I have walked streets in Europe and been able to make calls and receive messages using the disabled sim over IMS. Sounds like your iPhone isn’t configured properly or your provider doesn’t support WiFi calling and messaging.

My non cellular iPad is able to send and receive imessages using my cell number or my email. The same with FaceTime on the same iPad.

I said to disable the data for a sim. You said disable a sim which is completely different than what I said. My iPhone with data disabled receives messages from my work Android phone since I have WiFi enabled and my carrier supports service over WiFi.

Last edited by TGarza; Aug 21, 2023 at 9:47 am
Old Aug 21, 2023, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by javabytes

Disabling data roaming but leaving the SIM otherwise enabled is another option, though it of course won’t stop everything (such as phone calls and SMS that don’t rely on data).
I disabled (turned off) my physical SIM in Settings, and received a notification that it would continue to be active for iMessage for a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.