Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best iPhone case for sub-freezing temperatures?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:28 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

I’ve been looking and it appears what’s available are pouches. Ideally I’d like a case, but maybe it has to be a pouch. I saw the Salt cases and can only find them to fit up to iPhone 7s, I think. I need one for a 13.

Suggestions for cases, or pouches, if that’s what it needs to be? I’ve got a Phoozy pouch in my shopping cart, but still hoping for a case.
thanks
Old Jul 11, 2023, 9:27 pm

What's your use case? I've had all sorts of phones in all sorts of regular cases well below 0F/-20C without any issues other than the usual temporary loss of capacity with cold Li-ion batteries. Keeping your phone in an inside jacket pocket works better than a bag or cargo pocket on your pants.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 7:58 am
Original Poster

My regular case is just a basic one to prevent scratches primarily. I’m wanting to be able to use my phone for photos and navigation in low temps. Unfortunately, my experience has been that it lasts about 10 minutes and doesn’t rewarm until back inside.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:01 pm

Not a lot will help that other than finding a way to keep the phone warm--it doesn't generate enough of its own heat that a case will help much--particularly since anything that lets you use the screen lets heat escape through it unabated. The reflective pouches like the Phoozy are definitely better than nothing but there's no substitute for keeping the phone as close to a heat source (eg your body) as possible. Even if it's only 10C/50F under your jacket, that's way better than freezing the phone outside.
l etoile and GUWonder like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Not a lot will help that other than finding a way to keep the phone warm--it doesn't generate enough of its own heat that a case will help much--particularly since anything that lets you use the screen lets heat escape through it unabated. The reflective pouches like the Phoozy are definitely better than nothing but there's no substitute for keeping the phone as close to a heat source (eg your body) as possible. Even if it's only 10C/50F under your jacket, that's way better than freezing the phone outside.
I spend a fair bit of the coldest days of Januaries on the icy cold and windy ski slopes of Upper Peninsula Michigan and the Swedish mountains. I don’t carry any special pouches for my phones to be used on the slopes and in the very much wind exposed lifts there, but I do keep the phone inside an interior pocket of either my ski jacket or inside of an inner layer. I could perhaps do marginally better to get more in-hand — in-glove really — phone use outdoors on the mountainside in the winter by having the phone in a pouch flush with my skin with a heated chemical hand warmer pouch in the phone carrying pouch, but it hasn’t done enough good for me or the phone to not just stick the phone inside an interior/body-facing pocket of my jacket or an inner layer inside the jacket.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I spend a fair bit of the coldest days of Januaries on the icy cold and windy ski slopes of Upper Peninsula Michigan and the Swedish mountains. I don’t carry any special pouches for my phones to be used on the slopes and in the very much wind exposed lifts there, but I do keep the phone inside an interior pocket of either my ski jacket or inside of an inner layer. I could perhaps do marginally better to get more in-hand — in-glove really — phone use outdoors on the mountainside in the winter by having the phone in a pouch flush with my skin with a heated chemical hand warmer pouch in the phone carrying pouch, but it hasn’t done enough good for me or the phone to not just stick the phone inside an interior/body-facing pocket of my jacket or an inner layer inside the jacket.
This. If you're going to be somewhere where it's going to be extremely cold for extended periods of time, I'd suggest having a few of the skiing
handwarmers handwarmers
. I keep a box of these on hand in case of power failure or if in the car, getting stuck somewhere. Before the BB date, they can last at least a few hours. Keeping one or two activated ones on the inside of your jacket will keep you warm and if you carry your phone in there too, it definitely makes a difference.
l etoile and KRSW like this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

I’ve mushed dogs a lot and always lost my battery quickly and didn’t get it back. It didn’t matter much since the dogs and I knew where we were. Now I’m venturing out where I don’t want to lose it. The Phoozy case should at least warm it back up in 30 minutes, I guess. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Keeping your phone up against your body as much as possible is your best bet. I would also recommend bringing a portable battery pack (and also keeping it warm) as a backup.
GUWonder, l etoile and KRSW like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.