Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

AT&T International Roaming - am I out of luck with a financed phone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2023, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

My family is T-Mobile, but we have a few guests traveling with us to Sweden this summer.

I believe two of guests (one being Miss Swede's boyfriend and the other one of Miss Swede's best friends) have iPhones on AT&T plans that offer phones "free after promotional credit"--a.k.a. locked.

From my Googling, it appears that you cannot unlock them without the phones being paid off (and unlike T-Mobile, you lose any promotional credit remaining).

Is it possible to move the AT&T physical SIM to the eSIM slot, and then put in a local SIM? Or can I use the eSIM to utilize local cheaper rates?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:10 am

No. On iPhones both sim locations are either locked or unlocked per the carrier. I believe the same is true for Android devices. The easiest workable solution is for them to obtain and use a WiFi hotspot for data and WiFi calling if that is allowed.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 12:47 pm

A call to AT&T to ask for an unlock should be placed. I have had similar phones unlocked.

If the answer is no, pick up an unlocked phone with local sim and connect the iPhone using WiFi which I have done prior to multi sim phones to avoid international roaming.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Does their plan not have the $10/day international roaming fee? M

Ive taken my “locked” (financed) ATT phone to Europe 3x in the last 2 years and just use it like at home. $10 added to the bill each day, unlimited calls, data, and texting.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by aww3583
Does their plan not have the $10/day international roaming fee? M

Ive taken my “locked” (financed) ATT phone to Europe 3x in the last 2 years and just use it like at home. $10 added to the bill each day, unlimited calls, data, and texting.
I use ATT’s International Day Pass plan 8-10 times per year. As far as I know, data on the ATT International Day Pass plan is not unlimited, unless your domestic plan has an unlimited data plan. Otherwise, you are limited to the amount of data that is on your domestic plan, i.e., if you pay for 10GB of data on your domestic plan, you get up to 10 GB of data when you are in a foreign country (minus any data that you have already used domestically for that month). If you exceed your data plan, you will still be allowed to roam while you’re traveling, but you’ll be charged at a higher rate for your data overage (I’m speaking from experience).

https://www.att.com/international/day-pass/
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:10 am

@draver in another thread mentioned using an unlocked phone with a local sim as a hotspot which would allow a locked AT&T phone to use WiFi for calling and messaging. Prior to dual sim phones, I would use a 2nd phone as a hotspot.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Maybe just have them use WIFI and if you are traveling together just turn on YOUR hotspot with your t-mobile roaming access, or is that somehow restricted by t-mobile. I know it’s not an all the time solution as you won’t always be together but it’s a start. As others have noted, BOTH esims are locked if the phone is still technically under contract with AT&T. They should be able to get the AT&T international roaming packages though, but yeah it’s 10$ a DAY now. But at least ONE of them could get it, and the OTHER one could probably just share via iphone hotspot.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Maybe just have them use WIFI and if you are traveling together just turn on YOUR hotspot with your t-mobile roaming access, or is that somehow restricted by t-mobile. I know it’s not an all the time solution as you won’t always be together but it’s a start. As others have noted, BOTH esims are locked if the phone is still technically under contract with AT&T. They should be able to get the AT&T international roaming packages though, but yeah it’s 10$ a DAY now. But at least ONE of them could get it, and the OTHER one could probably just share via iphone hotspot.
This a great idea and a similar solution to TGarza and my suggestion about T-Mobile hotspotting from a spare phone with data roaming service. As long as you are range in a travel group, just have the AT&T users on WiFi only setup. WiFi calling generally only uses around 1Mb per minute of data, so the hotspot line should not take much of a hit against their account. I'd caution them about using data for other things however. They'll also need to ascertain that AT&T has free WiFi US calling of course.
TGarza and KRSW like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Consider picking up a cheap unlocked phone from eBay as another alternative to the hotspot. Doesn't have to be a fancy iPhone or Android (and you can still bring the iPhone/Android and just use it for data while connected to WiFi) but maintain the cheap phone for calls.

Also depends on how long they are traveling for -- the Verizon/AT&Troaming package is pricey but is the most straightforward solution and works just fine (my wife uses AT&T and just used this on a trip to Europe -- I have Verizon but did the same on a recent work trip to Europe)
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I should've prefaced my OP by saying these are 18-year-old recent high school graduates--two of them have never traveled outside of North America. So far, Miss Swede's boyfriend has managed without a need for a data plan. Free wi-fi has been plentiful in Sweden and Italy when necessary. My only bit of concern was that they were going to two Metallica shows and the concern of them accidentally getting separated in the crowd. That never happened.

We're also on a super old T-Mobile plan, so we only get 256k data speeds, which is why I bought local SIM cards (15GB for $18).

I'm wanting to leave T-Mobile, but obviously AT&T isn't better. I'd go to GoogleFi in a heartbeat but Miss Swede has an iPhone.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
WhatsAp is good for for messaging because the cellular connection can be disabled in which case it only uses WiFi. Find free WiFi such as at a hotel and you're all set.
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by mstump
WhatsAp is good for for messaging because the cellular connection can be disabled in which case it only uses WiFi. Find free WiFi such as at a hotel and you're all set.
If anyone is going to use FREE wife in europe could you please download a suitable VPN
Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mstump
All teens and parents of said-teens have downloaded WhatsApp, and I have created multiple group chats.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I'm wanting to leave T-Mobile, but obviously AT&T isn't better. I'd go to GoogleFi in a heartbeat but Miss Swede has an iPhone.

Lots of articles discussing GoogleFi on iPhones. Is there a problem not mentioned in the articles? My issue with GoogleFi is the T Mobile network in the US not covering areas I frequent.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGarza
Lots of articles discussing GoogleFi on iPhones. Is there a problem not mentioned in the articles? My issue with GoogleFi is the T Mobile network in the US not covering areas I frequent.
Well shoot. All the articles I read in April said that iPhones were limited to LTE data speeds. Seems like that was actually fixed in March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.