Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Low-profile Cable Management

Old Apr 23, 2023, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

I’ve used a few Bubm cable management zippered clamshell totes from Amazon and they’re great. However, because of their smaller dimensions, they tend to get bulky.

I’ve switched to a briefcase shoulder bag and need something lower profile.

What do you use for cable management?

I carry…. USB numeric keypad, Mifi, laptop charger, Apple Watch charger, two power adapters (usb A and C) and a couple of cables.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: Lifetime Silver Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by aww3583
I’ve used a few Bubm cable management zippered clamshell totes from Amazon and they’re great. However, because of their smaller dimensions, they tend to get bulky.

I’ve switched to a briefcase shoulder bag and need something lower profile.

I carry…. USB numeric keypad, Mifi, laptop charger, Apple Watch charger, two power adapters (usb A and C) and a couple of cables.
I try to be as minimalist as possible, for the situation, packing what I need. I use a TomBihn soft-sided brief case; it has a few small pockets that I use for cable storage. I also purchase most of my cables/accessories from MonoPrice, because I like the quality, price, and they have a fair assortment of lengths, so I can get Goldie-Locks with my set up (not too short, not too long, just right).

Good luck!

-C
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:24 pm

I shove all of mine into
microphone microphone
or
bank-deposit bank-deposit
bags. Nothing fancy. They're soft-sided so they're quite flexible in the bag. The bags are slightly padded as well.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
I shove all of mine into microphone or bank-deposit bags. Nothing fancy. They're soft-sided so they're quite flexible in the bag. The bags are slightly padded as well.
I use quart size zip lock bag so I can see what's inside clearly.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:15 am

I use pencil cases I get from Walmart. I currently use four of them. One with stuff I anticipate I will use in-flight (block-ish type), one that I anticipate will use at the hotel (also block-ish), one for medication and an old school one (segmented) to hold the various currencies I will use on the trip, I occasionally raid one case for the other if I need to swap around for some reason, but it's not often. One thing I don't keep in there (but use regularly) are the travel power bars (Monster OTG.... discontinued). I am currently looking for some sort of envelope that I can put in a bluetooth keyboard.

NOTE: I always use a backpack to carry my gear. so some creativity may be in order.

Here's an example of what I use (not the exact type). I usually grab one or two during back to school sales as I often find other uses for them.
KRSW likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Big thanks to all who replied. Still haven't found any true dedicated low-profile solutions. I've ordered a couple of pencil cases from Amazon. They look promising!
Old Apr 29, 2023, 6:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I use old airline amenity kits for cable management. Some of my favorites for that are the see-thru mesh ones that United use to provide in business class. I also use some of those more recent Delta economy class headset packages for some smaller cables as one side of them is see-thru and they keep the cables tight inside and hold up well when being opened and re-sealed. Also, there are some see-thru zippered plastic bags that are used as packaging for men’s/boy’s underwear and undershirts that can work well for holding cables.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:45 am

I hate cables. So much so that I won't or try not to carry any peripheral requiring them and limit my cables to USB-C "one cable to rule them all" devices. Will follow this thread to see if there's good solutions to cables, which, I need to say again, I just can't deal with.

PS - Big fan of bluetooth. Oh, can't deal with those dongles to and will not use them.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
I hate cables. So much so that I won't or try not to carry any peripheral requiring them and limit my cables to USB-C "one cable to rule them all" devices. Will follow this thread to see if there's good solutions to cables, which, I need to say again, I just can't deal with.

PS - Big fan of bluetooth. Oh, can't deal with those dongles too and will not use them.
I found a 6-foot 3-in-1 USB charging cord on Temu for $5. Too cheap to not try. So far so good.

One end is regular USB. The other end has Mini USB, USB-C, and Apple Lightning. So far, so good.

My laptop needs USB-C to USB-C and a power brick. So that’s another device.

I carry a Mifi, as well.

Lastly, I carry a 10-key numeric keypad. The cord on this is fairly unobtrusive.
Visconti likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 11:53 am

My laptop needs USB-C to USB-C and a power brick. So that’s another device.
Yeah, my laptop PC requires a power brick, which of course means I travel without it opting instead for the new Macbook Air, which appears to able to be powered by just about any ole USB-C source.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Yeah, my laptop PC requires a power brick, which of course means I travel without it opting instead for the new Macbook Air, which appears to able to be powered by just about any ole USB-C source.
I found an aftermarket power brick from my laptop that has additional USB-A and USB-C ports. Unfortunately, when I’m charging multiple devices via the power brick, my laptop shows an “insufficient power source“ notification.

Last edited by aww3583; Apr 29, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Old Apr 29, 2023, 8:44 pm

I found an aftermarket power brick from my laptop that has additional USB-A and USB-C ports. Unfortunately, when I’m charging multiple devices via the power brick, my laptop shows an “insufficient power source“ notification.
It depends on the brick and the power requirements of the laptop. Most power bricks that can charge a laptop are currently 65w or so. You should start seeing 100w USB-C bricks becoming more common. If the laptop is a "U series" CPU (or an M series macbook) 65w is enough for itself and not much more. If the brick supports 90-100, you shouldn't get that error message as there should be plenty for the laptop and something else.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 8:55 am

I use the zippered packaging case from a TSA approved toiletry kit purchased from the trial size section at Walmart. It is a flat rectangle with a see through side. I have also used the clear bar soap containers for my inflight cable and earbuds.
Old May 1, 2023, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My Dell kvetches about that all the time with most aftermarket chargers that have minimum 45W output in the USB-C port, but it charges just as fast as the OEM even when in use. I think it's more of a Dell scare tactic. My Lenovo ThinkPad is a lot more lenient.

I bought
this one this one
for Mrs. Swede, and it's pretty low profile if you only have one or two chargers.

I also have
this one this one
, and the tablet pocket (which I don't use for a tablet) might work with a 10-key number pad.
Old May 1, 2023, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I have some Think Tank bags like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.