Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turning an Android into a Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Turning an Android into a Hotspot

Next year, I'm taking a long cruise from Portugal to South Africa. Our cruise line only seems to allow one device on the net. I am also a Fi subscriber. I am playing with using my old Pixel 3 (or buying a new one) and trying to make it into a hotspot that will blend Fi data and ship internet data. I thought about using a VPN like speedify that will blend the two connections together to give me respectable speed. I've also considered buying a smallish Windows tablet as a dedicated tool. I also have an old Surface 3 LTE (not Pro) on my self which might be repurposed for this, but smaller is better. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:30 am

Your current Android phone can't do WiFi sharing for Hotspot? That way you don't have to bring another device. Or just use your old Pixel 3. Pixel 3 can also be used as a spare phone in case something happened to the main phone while traveling.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:09 am

I am using an Android Motorola Edge 2022 that was free from T-Mobile with a trade in. I have an app called PDANet+ installed. This app was used way back when you could JailBreak the latest iPhone and then run the app to enable pass through WiFi. The function would link to the local WiFi on the 2.4Ghz signal, then rebroadcast on 5Ghz for your local service. I am told that this app is no longer needed with current Android phones, but I cannot be sure, since the app is installed and I don't want to screw with what is currently working. It may be performing some magic in the background, but "If It Works, Don't Fix It".

My Android phone is working well with only WiFi on, and has been stable for days at a time. It will stay activated overnight and the speeds are acceptable, at around 50-60% of the source speed seen on the user device. I merely go to Settings, Network & Internet, Hotspot & Tethering, WiFi Hotspot and use the ON/OFF slider for service. You can name it and assign a user login password. I would recommend a password for cruises, since you will be amongst a throng of others seeking service. I've given mine the innocuous name of "Maint.". I don't feel like I'm stealing service from the cruise line since the data use is being consumed by my one, paid connection. It is merely a matter of convenience to not have to switch devices to connect each one. I can browse on my iPad while still using my phone for calls, texting, etc. Having WiFi calling enabled 24/7 is great while on a cruise if you need to stay in touch with home. I generally buy an unlimited plan for each of us for the entire cruise. The WiFi calling works quite well for this, as we both have T-Mobile, and our US numbers can call or text for free this way.

I just activated it and my iPhone 14 Pro Max just read 772Mbps on Xfinity service, and 404Mbps on Maint., for a 48% drop in speed. My experience with cruise WiFi is expect 2-5Mbps directly connected, depending upon the ships' service and user load. I have used it with other networks, and the one at my gym performs similarly.

Last edited by draver; Apr 15, 2023 at 1:09 pm
Old Apr 9, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Samsung Note 20 Ultra factory Unlocked SM N986U1 Android 13 April 1, 2023 security patch
Connected to my home WiFi , turned on mobile hotspot, connected my laptop to phone WiFi, works fine. I don't have an Pixel to try. There are WiFi repeater app's for Android if built-in hotspot doesn't cooperate.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by u600213
Samsung Note 20 Ultra factory Unlocked SM N986U1 Android 13 April 1, 2023 security patch
Connected to my home WiFi , turned on mobile hotspot, connected my laptop to phone WiFi, works fine. I don't have an Pixel to try. There are WiFi repeater app's for Android if built-in hotspot doesn't cooperate.
Mobile hotspot on android requires wifi to be turned off. Mobile hotspot uses mobile data, it is a not a wifi repeater function.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Mobile hotspot on android requires wifi to be turned off. Mobile hotspot uses mobile data, it is a not a wifi repeater function.
It seems to work as a pass through WiFi on my Android Moto Edge 2022. It may be the PDANet app I have mentioned, but others have indicated that is probably not required.

Edited to add: My Motorola phone is on Android 12 and currently up to date according to Settings.

Last edited by draver; Apr 14, 2023 at 6:10 pm Reason: Android Verion
Old Apr 16, 2023, 12:45 pm

That's like 5 years ago. Android is updated to allow WiFi pass through for hotspot. Just need to have a newer Android OS version.
bchandler02, Bandicoot and KRSW like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I have reconfirmed that it works for me by turning off mobile data before starting mobile hotspot.
Note 20 U Android 13.
Need and KRSW like this.
Old May 5, 2023, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by draver
I am using an Android Motorola Edge 2022 that was free from T-Mobile with a trade in. I have an app called PDANet+ installed. This app was used way back when you could JailBreak the latest iPhone and then run the app to enable pass through WiFi. The function would link to the local WiFi on the 2.4Ghz signal, then rebroadcast on 5Ghz for your local service. I am told that this app is no longer needed with current Android phones, but I cannot be sure, since the app is installed and I don't want to screw with what is currently working. It may be performing some magic in the background, but "If It Works, Don't Fix It".

My Android phone is working well with only WiFi on, and has been stable for days at a time. It will stay activated overnight and the speeds are acceptable, at around 50-60% of the source speed seen on the user device. I merely go to Settings, Network & Internet, Hotspot & Tethering, WiFi Hotspot and use the ON/OFF slider for service. You can name it and assign a user login password. I would recommend a password for cruises, since you will be amongst a throng of others seeking service. I've given mine the innocuous name of "Maint.". I don't feel like I'm stealing service from the cruise line since the data use is being consumed by my one, paid connection. It is merely a matter of convenience to not have to switch devices to connect each one. I can browse on my iPad while still using my phone for calls, texting, etc. Having WiFi calling enabled 24/7 is great while on a cruise if you need to stay in touch with home. I generally buy an unlimited plan for each of us for the entire cruise. The WiFi calling works quite well for this, as we both have T-Mobile, and our US numbers can call or text for free this way.

I just activated it and my iPhone 14 Pro Max just read 772Mbps on Xfinity service, and 404Mbps on Maint., for a 48% drop in speed. My experience with cruise WiFi is expect 2-5Mbps directly connected, depending upon the ships' service and user load. I have used it with other networks, and the one at my gym performs similarly.
​​​​​​The Play Store says the app is only for old versions of Android. I can't install it on my Pixel 7.
Old May 5, 2023, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
​​​​​​The Play Store says the app is only for old versions of Android. I can't install it on my Pixel 7.
You don't need it for Pixel 7... native OS can already do the same thing with hotspot.
Old May 10, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by u600213
I have reconfirmed that it works for me by turning off mobile data before starting mobile hotspot.
Note 20 U Android 13.
I wonder if it's a carrier restriction on my device, then. VZW in the US.
Old May 10, 2023, 3:40 pm

Very odd decision to do that if it is a carrier restriction. Wi-Fi pass thru would save usage on Mobile data, and most carriers want you to NOT use their bandwidth.
Old May 10, 2023, 5:10 pm

Not very likely, but why can't you just pull the sim card or turn off that line in settings if on an esim so the phone is not associated with a carrier? My Moto Edge 2022 works fine with no sim inserted. I just tested it and got over 400Mbps on my iPhone 14 Pro Max on the Moto WiFi hotspot.

Last edited by draver; May 10, 2023 at 5:53 pm
Old May 11, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
You don't need it for Pixel 7... native OS can already do the same thing with hotspot.
How do I do this? Pixel 7.
Old May 11, 2023, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by nerd
How do I do this? Pixel 7.
Turn on Airplane Mode
Internet -> Connect to a Wi-Fi connection
Turn on Hotspot

If you have never setup your Hotspot before, you may have to give it a name and password. Your Pixel 7 Hotspot should be in Wi-Fi pass thru mode as you have no mobile data at all because you are still in Airplane mode.

If your OS version does NOT support Wi-Fi pass thru, when you try to turn on Hotspot, it would not let you because you are in Airplane mode. It would ask you to turn off Airplane mode.
nerd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.