Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Apple Fitness+ (emphasis on "Plus") Really?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

So, unless the Google machine is hiding it from me, the only way to record a basic run/walk on a iPhone (not using an Apple Watch) and the Apple Fitness app is to use/subscribe to (US$9.99 per month!) to the Apple Fitness+ (note the "Plus") app?

All I want the thing to do is keep track of time, distance, etc. in the basic (free) Fitness App. No calories, amps/watts, hertz, heartbeats, inspiration, perspiration or whatever. I don't need it to tell me I'm about to drop dead, my blood sugar or anything else. Just "start" then walk/run distance, "end" and total time. "Map My" apps have been doing this since practically the iPhone was invented. Apple can't catch up?

I don't need some half-baked motivational person/playlist for $9.99 per month to "inspire" me. I just want to record a walk/run/jog. Is it really not possible to do that using "just" the Fitness app? Do I really have to pay $9.99 per month to record something so basic and, in addition to paying, have to listen to some self-proclaimed "motivational speaker/playlist curator" to "inspire me"?

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Mar 20, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Old Mar 20, 2023, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Fitness+ is for access to the video programming (i.e. workouts) similar to offerings by other companies (e.g. Equinox, Peloton, etc.). It uses the Fitness app to manage workouts, which is how your health data is generated/tracked/displayed.

You do not need to pay for Fitness+ to record workouts in the Fitness app. However, (without Fitness+) the only other way to start a workout within the Fitness app is to do so from an Apple Watch.

If you'd rather stay completely free, instead use say, Strava or Pedometer+ (or free app of choice) to start a workout (in those apps) and connect the app to Apple Health. Preview your health data in the Health app instead.
nmenaker likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Polytonic
However, (without Fitness+) the only other way to start a workout within the Fitness app is to do so from an Apple Watch.
That's the point, I guess. Dumb really. Sure, a business decision: buy a watch to start a workout or pay for some workout inspiration. But, dumb, IMO.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
That's the point, I guess. Dumb really. Sure, a business decision: buy a watch to start a workout or pay for some workout inspiration. But, dumb, IMO.
Is there are reason you are constraining your solution to this problem just to Fitness+?

There have been countless, free/freemium apps available for the iPhone (e.g. Nike, Runkeeper, Strava, etc.) that have existed long before Apple Fitness+ even existed. I personally have used Runkeeper for like 10 years or something. I don't even know if its the best anymore, but it works and its free.

Regards

Last edited by scubadu; Mar 21, 2023 at 8:56 am
Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I just use Pedometer++. Works perfectly and integrates with the Apple Health app.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
Is there are reason you are constraining your solution to this problem just to Fitness+?

There have been countless, free/freemium apps available for the iPhone (e.g. Nike, Runkeeper, Strava, etc.) that have existed long before Apple Fitness+ even existed. I personally have used Runkeeper for like 10 years or something. I don't even know if its the best anymore, but it works and its free.

Regards
I've been with MapMyRun since you could go online and do point to point on a map of each portion of my run and it would "calculate" the m/km ran, enter your time (from a good old "normal" watch) and get stats. Still use it. Just cannot understand why Apple wouldn't have such a feature withing its own Fitness/health app environment. I understand the need to make money (MapMy had ads and the data harvesting must be massive) by pushing you to buy an Apple Watch and/or upgrade to the Fitness+ monthly fee. But, why not keep a user (runner/walker) "in" the Apple ecosystem (and likely kill off the "free" apps folks use instead)?
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
What @Polytonic said.. just download Strava or some other run/walk workout app and have it track your motion (via GPS on the phone) speed, time, length of workout etc., and have the apple FITNESS (was called ACTIVITY) and HEALTH Apps setup to sync from Strava for workout information. It updates pretty quickly, within minutes after doing a workout and you can then track it in FITNESS or HEALTH over time to see progress, performance and other metrics. Apple FITNESS/ACTIVITY and HEALTH are where all this information ultimately sync to, FITNESS+ Workouts even only syncs to FITNESS and HEALTH .. well they WILL sync to other apps like MyFitnessPal and some others to bring your activity into your caloric daily consumption as well - but it doesn’t sound like you need or are interested in that.

Also, you might buy yourself some sort of HR sensor, either a chest based HR sensor or a forearm sensor (like from Scosche, they are very good) and add the HR sensor to the Strava tracking and all that will also sync easily to apple HEALTH and your apple ACTIVITY trackers.

It’s pretty simple at this point.

One only needs/wants apple FITNESS+ IF they want to use the video workouts across a whole range of activity types for insight, motivation, etc.. I will use the Rowing workouts and sometimes a HIIT workout, my SO will use rowing, weights, wind down, mindfulness, etc.. Yeah, it’s $79 a year but up to five ppl in your “family” can share it with it siloed just to each person and it works seamlessly with Apple TV (for large screen video workout consumption) and Apple Watch for integration and on iPads, phones, etc (when rowing I simply put my phone in the holder above the Erg screen and it’s very easy to see.

But NO, you don’t need any of that to be able to track your walk/run workouts IF you are willing to take your phone and use a free app like Strava and set it to sync its workout recorded data TO FITNESS and HEALTH (Which is quite good)

Last edited by nmenaker; Mar 24, 2023 at 10:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.